• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MagicBands + Margaritas + Muggles + Minions = TRP. New TR link is up! 10/31

I'm here! And considering my lengthy absence from the boards, I'd say page four isn't half bad! :goodvibes

:welcome:! Carolyn!!! I'll be curious to hear how your trip was at the same time, looks like you have another one soon, how lovely!

I am anxious to hear how your day-to-day plans played out compared to what we did, too!

Our annual WDW spring break trip has been whittled down to a long weekend since my kids are no longer on the same school schedule (DS will miss a day of school). I'm excited because we've never gone early March - hoping to have less of a spring break crowd than usual :thumbsup2

I'm here! And considering my lengthy absence from the boards, I'd say page four isn't half bad! :goodvibes

Tina!!!!

:welcome:

No, page 4 (ok 5, barely) isn't bad at all. You could be on page whatever and I'd just be happy you are here :goodvibes I've been thinking about you :hug:

I am anxious to hear how your day-to-day plans played out compared to what we did, too!

Our annual WDW spring break trip has been whittled down to a long weekend since my kids are no longer on the same school schedule (DS will miss a day of school). I'm excited because we've never gone early March - hoping to have less of a spring break crowd than usual :thumbsup2

Ah dueling school breaks, I know it well. We've actually never been on the same spring break schedule with all 4 kids, (we had 2 years of 5 different schools between the 4 kids!) as a result we've done a couple of President's weekend/week trips but never a spring break one with all 4, just the E's. Off crowd is lovely, I'm bummed as for the first time ever our Spring break actually runs into Easter...traditional spring break time, only because Easter is so darn late this year! Thankfully it doesn't next year so that should help but I am worried about the crowds at DL and a bit bummed about being away on Easter. Is your DS in college or are they just at different schools?

I just want some sun at this point, May seems really far away but at least I've that to look forward to and some nice adult pool time :thumbsup2

Joining in. I've really enjoyed lurking on your TRs in the past. ::yes::

DH and I have been considering taking a trip on our own. With four kiddos, there isn't much alone time. It's encouraging to read you think it's a good thing!

Joining in. I've really enjoyed lurking on your TRs in the past. ::yes::

DH and I have been considering taking a trip on our own. With four kiddos, there isn't much alone time. It's encouraging to read you think it's a good thing!

Hi and :welcome: out of lurkdom!

I don't think it's a good thing, frankly I think it's a required thing. The family is only as strong as the couple. We've learned that the hard way. It is not easy to make couples time. Life is so busy with work and kids that finding, making the extra time, finding even the funds to do it can be a real challenge. At the end of the day though, the kids grow up and leave the nest. Too many people find themselves not knowing who they are married to anymore, as everything has revolved around the kids and they have no shared interests outside of that.

I actually had a friend look at me like I was crazy, the idea of a vacation without their kids...what would they do? That it was even a question (what would they do) was such a huge red flag to me, it made me sad. It may be easier to plan a girl or a guys weekend (as the spouse left behind has the kids) and that does wonders for the soul in it's own way but oh a "date trip" if done right, is better than any marriage counselor ever will be.

I think.

Not that I have a strong opinion on this :rotfl: It's funny though, the kinds of trips and the timing of the trips have changed a lot over the years. When the kids were little it was easier to take a trip while they were in school as that lessened the burden on whoever was watching them. As they got older and had sports, more homework etc, our trips moved to their breaks and over the summer to again, make it as easy as possible on whoever was watching them. We are lucky to have family here that can help and I know not everyone has that but even a date night, at least once a month, can work wonders. Last night at Eric's boy scout meeting they were mentioning the summer event dates and Jeff's first thought was that we needed to find Evan a camp that matched. Easy week for just us! LOL. Not that we have any vacation days or $$ left to enjoy it mind you but conceptually it sounded great. Funny thing is the camp I was planning to send him to anyway, does match up.

Hi and :welcome: out of lurkdom! I don't think it's a good thing, frankly I think it's a required thing. The family is only as strong as the couple. We've learned that the hard way. It is not easy to make couples time. Life is so busy with work and kids that finding, making the extra time, finding even the funds to do it can be a real challenge. At the end of the day though, the kids grow up and leave the nest. Too many people find themselves not knowing who they are married to anymore, as everything has revolved around the kids and they have no shared interests outside of that. I actually had a friend look at me like I was crazy, the idea of a vacation without their kids...what would they do? That it was even a question (what would they do) was such a huge red flag to me, it made me sad. It may be easier to plan a girl or a guys weekend (as the spouse left behind has the kids) and that does wonders for the soul in it's own way but oh a "date trip" if done right, is better than any marriage counselor ever will be. I think. Not that I have a strong opinion on this :rotfl: It's funny though, the kinds of trips and the timing of the trips have changed a lot over the years. When the kids were little it was easier to take a trip while they were in school as that lessened the burden on whoever was watching them. As they got older and had sports, more homework etc, our trips moved to their breaks and over the summer to again, make it as easy as possible on whoever was watching them. We are lucky to have family here that can help and I know not everyone has that but even a date night, at least once a month, can work wonders. Last night at Eric's boy scout meeting they were mentioning the summer event dates and Jeff's first thought was that we needed to find Evan a camp that matched. Easy week for just us! LOL. Not that we have any vacation days or $$ left to enjoy it mind you but conceptually it sounded great. Funny thing is the camp I was planning to send him to anyway, does match up.

I'm in total agreement with you on this. We have been married almost 48 years & have always made couple time. We have four sons that have enjoyed many family vacations & they also spent time at home with family while we went away. My DH & I spend lots of time together since he has retired & we find lots to talk about instead of the kids.

Ah dueling school breaks, I know it well. We've actually never been on the same spring break schedule with all 4 kids, (we had 2 years of 5 different schools between the 4 kids!) as a result we've done a couple of President's weekend/week trips but never a spring break one with all 4, just the E's. Off crowd is lovely, I'm bummed as for the first time ever our Spring break actually runs into Easter...traditional spring break time, only because Easter is so darn late this year! Thankfully it doesn't next year so that should help but I am worried about the crowds at DL and a bit bummed about being away on Easter. Is your DS in college or are they just at different schools?

I just want some sun at this point, May seems really far away but at least I've that to look forward to and some nice adult pool time :thumbsup2

DS (Mikey) is a junior in high school, DD (Rachel) is a freshman in college. When we realized that the district is taking Pulaski Day off this year on Monday 3/3, and Rachel has midterm break that same week, we jumped on it and made the plans!

I'm in total agreement with you on this. We have been married almost 48 years & have always made couple time. We have four sons that have enjoyed many family vacations & they also spent time at home with family while we went away. My DH & I spend lots of time together since he has retired & we find lots to talk about instead of the kids.

Not to mention the fact that I think it's incredibly important that kids know the parents actually like doing things together without them and that life doesn't revolve just around the kids. If we want our kids to have healthy romantic relationships when they are ready, I think we need to model them!

But it is about balance, the couple time, or individual time (which is also important) shouldn't come at the expense of the kids. We (obviously) do family trips too :goodvibes and value that very highly. I can have a new huge TV or deck or whatever kitchen goody when they are grown and gone...I won't get that time back.

DS (Mikey) is a junior in high school, DD (Rachel) is a freshman in college. When we realized that the district is taking Pulaski Day off this year on Monday 3/3, and Rachel has midterm break that same week, we jumped on it and made the plans!

Absolutely! You have to take advantage of those things. Much better use of a school day off than dentist or orthodontist appointments :lmao:

Hi and :welcome: out of lurkdom!

I don't think it's a good thing, frankly I think it's a required thing. The family is only as strong as the couple. We've learned that the hard way. It is not easy to make couples time. Life is so busy with work and kids that finding, making the extra time, finding even the funds to do it can be a real challenge. At the end of the day though, the kids grow up and leave the nest. Too many people find themselves not knowing who they are married to anymore, as everything has revolved around the kids and they have no shared interests outside of that.

I actually had a friend look at me like I was crazy, the idea of a vacation without their kids...what would they do? That it was even a question (what would they do) was such a huge red flag to me, it made me sad. It may be easier to plan a girl or a guys weekend (as the spouse left behind has the kids) and that does wonders for the soul in it's own way but oh a "date trip" if done right, is better than any marriage counselor ever will be.

I think.

Not that I have a strong opinion on this :rotfl: It's funny though, the kinds of trips and the timing of the trips have changed a lot over the years. When the kids were little it was easier to take a trip while they were in school as that lessened the burden on whoever was watching them. As they got older and had sports, more homework etc, our trips moved to their breaks and over the summer to again, make it as easy as possible on whoever was watching them. We are lucky to have family here that can help and I know not everyone has that but even a date night, at least once a month, can work wonders. Last night at Eric's boy scout meeting they were mentioning the summer event dates and Jeff's first thought was that we needed to find Evan a camp that matched. Easy week for just us! LOL. Not that we have any vacation days or $$ left to enjoy it mind you but conceptually it sounded great. Funny thing is the camp I was planning to send him to anyway, does match up.

This is such a good point. We've had those date nights where we ended up staring across the table at each other, not speaking. Awkward. We decided we definitely needed to do something about that. If we can't come up with things to discuss at dinner, what will we do when the kids move out? So we've decided to change it up a bit. We're actually looking into things like scuba lessons/certifications, hobbies we can do together just us. It's a start!

That's really great that the camps matched up, btw!

I can have a new huge TV or deck or whatever kitchen goody when they are grown and gone...I won't get that time back.

Amen!

Just subbed, haven't read anything except this stuff the last two days and just so love the attitude, had to say something!

(Following PIO's TR and there was some mention of you... hehehehehee...)

:)

Jud

This is such a good point. We've had those date nights where we ended up staring across the table at each other, not speaking. Awkward. We decided we definitely needed to do something about that. If we can't come up with things to discuss at dinner, what will we do when the kids move out? So we've decided to change it up a bit. We're actually looking into things like scuba lessons/certifications, hobbies we can do together just us. It's a start!

That's really great that the camps matched up, btw!

I think we've all had those moments! You want to talk about anything but the kids...but then find that's all you can think of to talk about! Your comment about the scuba lessons remind me of the time we tried dance lessons :rotfl: poor Jeff has white man's disease quite badly (no rhythm for dancing at all) it was simultaneously hysterical and super frustrating for him. We still plan to try again..of course he blames it all on the fact that they wanted us to learn all styles and all he really wanted to learn were latin dances. :rotfl2:

If you can do a regularly scheduled date night, at least once a month, it does get easier! Skip the movie, no real togetherness there and go for a walk before or after instead. A date dinner can be at a burger joint, it doesn't need to be fancy, sometimes the best things are simple, like a picnic.

A few things we used to do when the kids were younger helped a lot. We'd have a date night...in the house. All the kids would have gone to bed and we'd have a special dinner, in the dining room, music, candles, wine etc. Putting it into the more formal setting does kind of force you to talk but it doesn't have quite the pressure of the date night out. We still do this on Valentines Day every year and at other random times. It also saved a lot of $$, sitters aren't cheap! We would also take vacation days on Fridays while the kids were in school and go for long hikes or bike rides. I really miss those hikes, I don't have the number of vacation days I used to but oh we had so much fun! Nothing made us laugh harder than racing down a mountain to get to the car in time to make sure we made it back in time to pick up the kids from daycare. For a while we would also have a rule that on Sunday nights, no TV. We'd hang out in the living room together and read on the couch, together (versus in seperate chairs etc). Glass of wine and a fireplace and it made for really nice quiet time, just together that often ended up with a lot of good talks. We re-institute this every so often :goodvibes. This summer instead we'd do power walks on Sunday afternoons...to this neat outdoor brewpub, sit outside, chat with a beer and then power walk back. So fun!

We also, to this day, often eat dinner in shifts. The kids eat early and we eat late. Only on school night (M-Th) and then we eat as a family for the rest of it with Friday and Saturday being our bigger family dinner nights and then Sunday breakfast.

For us it's the only way we can get our workouts in, I'll get the kids settled with homework, evening activities and food (or let them fend for themselves on the food side as sometimes they prefer that), we go work out or run and then come home and make our meal. That gives us usually 3 nights of a more casual dinner together, watching "our" shows.

Now that the kids are older and can watch themselves when we go out, we've gotten away from some of those things but have replaced them with others. It used to be we ate in shifts on school nights simply because the kids needed to eat at 6 for a decent bedtime and neither of us were ready to eat that early having just gotten home maybe 20 minutes earlier, fitting in the workouts on top of it was almost impossible. Now that it is, and we are running together, those have taken the place of the hikes and no TV night although we probably still do that once a month. It does get easier when they get older, Jeff and I plan to see a movie tomorrow. Evan will be at a school dance (and no, I will not chaperone lol though I'll see him off for sure) and Eric will be home alone for a bit.

Some will disagree with this but I believe this is good for the kids on multiple levels. It teaches them that while we are there for them and enjoy being with them, it isn't all about them 100% of the time. It teaches them to be self sufficient. Some are better than others (Evan is amazing in the kitchen, the others not so much) but they all know some basics. It provides healthy relationship models as well as healthy living models (exercise) and hopefully most of the time shows them that having a balance of all if it, while not remotely easy, is possible. Occasionally they complain, for example when I go on my girls disney trips, they whine a little. And then I remind them that they get their own week at this camp or that camp that is somethign that's special to them, and that the girls trip is my "camp" and they are ok :goodvibes

Amen!

Just subbed, haven't read anything except this stuff the last two days and just so love the attitude, had to say something!

Jud

:welcome:! and thank you :goodvibes

Uh oh! LOL Sounds like I might need to get over there, I don't think I'm subbed. I've been so behind on the subs I have I haven't added anything new until recently again as I couldn't seem to keep up on my own TR!

I know, right? :rotfl: I did get uploads started so should have an update over the weekend for sure. I'd hoped for today but...that got away from me. But hey, the longer it takes for me to really get going, the less lag time between start and the photopass pictures getting here, right? LOL! Not that I can't continue to just snag them but the resolution isn't quite the same.

:welcome: Heidi! I am very happy you are here.

Amen!

Jud

I wondered which little birdie was doing the cross-pollination. Guess I found out. :rotfl:

:wave: Subbing in and looking forward to the vicarious living.

Likewise :goodvibes :welcome:!

I wondered which little birdie was doing the cross-pollination. Guess I found out. :rotfl:

:rotfl2: And see I wondered who was talking about me :lmao: funny thing is I'd kind of guessed it was Allison as she's mentioned you a ton on her threads and here it was Jill. LOL!

Although I guess technically she was talking about Jeff! :thumbsup2

Who has actually flown with Richard Bach...I have stories :goodvibes

:rotfl2: And see I wondered who was talking about me :lmao: funny thing is I'd kind of guessed it was Allison as she's mentioned you a ton on her threads and here it was Jill. LOL!

Yep, all my fault. :)

Jill in CO

In your DH's two seater plane??? :rotfl:

popcorn::

Yep, all my fault. :)

Jill in CO

:lmao: yep. Hey did you see our departure time is showing as 9:30pm???? And on the FB page they are saying it's 10:30. Weirdest thing, I've never heard of that late of a departure. I suppose it adds a lot of flexibility on flight dates and times but...wow.

Are you late dining? It's funny, now that we've decided we are pretty definitely doing it...I'm much more vested in gathering info.

:lmao: yep. Hey did you see our departure time is showing as 9:30pm???? And on the FB page they are saying it's 10:30. Weirdest thing, I've never heard of that late of a departure. I suppose it adds a lot of flexibility on flight dates and times but...wow.

Are you late dining? It's funny, now that we've decided we are pretty definitely doing it...I'm much more vested in gathering info.

I am late dining. I need to start planning! I've barely done anything!

I am considering flying in on Wednesday since it basically takes all day to get to PR from Denver. SW hasn't released the Sept schedule yet. I would like to spend a little time in PR exploring plus abiding by my rule to never fly in the same day!

Jill in CO

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter