• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magical New Year's Cruise from Galveston 12/29/2012

Hello All,

I just wanted to note that when I was on the DCL website booking Palo and excursions, it says that Pirate Night is on Tuesday, January 1st. It shows up as "Ship Activity".

Don't know if that got changed. I know someone had said it was on Wednesday or maybe it is wrong on DCL?

Just wanted you all to be aware.

Thanks

Just wanted to follow up!

I called DCL and they did confirm that Pirate Night will be on Tuesday, January 1st.

Hope that helps!

Mastiff said:
Just wanted to follow up!

I called DCL and they did confirm that Pirate Night will be on Tuesday, January 1st.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for double checking. I guess the CM I spoke with did not give me the latest and greatest when I called a little while back. I wonder which night will have the fireworks, Pirate or New Years. I actually liked the schedule better when I thought there was a night in between NYE and Pirate. Staying up late for both nights back to back may be tough on my kiddos.

Houstonmom1,

I thought the same thing about the back to back! I only noticed it today when I was on DCL website. I had written down the schedule you had and noticed they must have changed it. Oh well it will be a blast regardless!

So bummed we missed the FE group! Was reading back through and noticed we missed it! We did that on our first cruise and the kids had a blast delivering and receiving all the goodies! You all will have some good loot to bring home!

Can't wait for the cruise!

slmjam said:
I just found this thread. This is only our second Disney cruise, but we are super excited to be sailing from Galveston! There's 4 of us. Me, hubby, and two kids (DD 21 and DS 17). What is FE?

Welcome! FE stands for Fish Extender and it is a secret santa type gift exchange that some people participate in on the cruise.

polynor said:
Just found this thread (should have realized there would be separate ones per sail date) too late to join the FE but will smile knowingly when I see the FEs!

Booked just recently, first time cruiser, with hubby and two boys (6 and 3). We have no idea what we're doing or need to prepare for. We've got late dining and you should all pray you don't have to eat with our boys...

Since this is one is a 6 night itinerary -- does anyone know what the shows will be?

Glad you found our thread! When I called to find out the nightly schedule it did not occur to me to ask about the shows. I have no idea if they might be able to tell us or not. If someone finds out I am sure they will post it here. When it gets closer I plan to call to find out the movies that will be playing, and I will share it here too. I have 2 boys also (5 & 9). This is our first DCL cruise, but I think the main prep tasks right now would be to figure out your excursions, Palo and spa reservations if you want those, and to check in online to pick your port arrival time. That last one I did not realize until the other day. Then you can read all the advice on these boards to figure out what to pack!

Hello fellow cruisers.

Just today I booked the cruise before ours that departs 12/21. We are now sailing on the Magic for 2 weeks and will be enjoying the entire holiday season on the ship.

Thank goodness for Southwest airlines. Being able to change airfare without penalties is huge!

I am very excited! Anyone else doing the same?

Wow, that's great! Did you get a really good deal on the other cruise??

Also, if anyone wants to join rsschneck's family and mine for dinner reservations, let us know. our families do not know each other, but met on this board. It is fun to have more adults and kids at the table to chat with and get to know.
rsschneck is her, her hubby and dd15
and my family is me, my hubby dd17 and ds15
So let us know if you want to join us!
Julie W.
Redwood City, CA
Go Giants!!!

Also, if anyone wants to join rsschneck's family and mine for dinner reservations, let us know. our families do not know each other, but met on this board. It is fun to have more adults and kids at the table to chat with and get to know.
Julie W.
Redwood City, CA
Go Giants!!!

Yes, I feel like I did get a pretty great rate. We just decided what the heck we are flying down already. There is no school for DD and DH got the okay from work so let's go for it! The last time we were on the ship this long was when we sailed through the Panama Canal. Too bad we aren't going to be in the same cabins because packing and unpacking in between cruises is going to be a little pain in the booty!

Julie W.
Redwood City, CA
Go Giants!!!

Sounds like fun!! We would love to join you if the offer is still open! My family is me, my hubby, dd21 and ds17
Sherry M.
Houston, TX

niki2576 said:
Just realized we are 2 months from today from our cruise!!!!!!

YAHOOO!!!!! :banana:

I did my happy dance when I woke up this morning! And in the spirit of Texas and leaving from Galveston... YEEHAW!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Wow I did not realize it was now only two months away. I have to say my excitement has been curbed a little by the horrible situation the Fantasy and Dream went through the other day. Kinda freakin me out! I know we are not traveling during hurricane season, but I still can't shake how scary it was for everyone on board.

Robin

You'll be (un)happy to hear that the pools on the Fantasy are identical size/shape as on the Dream... What a waste. They (DCL yuppies) have done studies and found that the adults don't USE the pools... Don't know when they were looking...
We cruised NY in 2001 and 2002. Those were the days!

I am not sure if this has been posted already but I called and asked about the movies while onboard. We will have 3 movie premiers while onboard.

These are subject to change

Toy Story 3 :3dglasses
Tangled
Chimpanzee
The Avengers
People Like Us
Timothy Green
Brave :3dglasses
Wreck It Ralph (premier)
Lincoln (premier)
Monsters Inc 2 (premier)

Great! Thanks for sharing the movies. I really wanted to see Brave when it came out, but when i didn't get the chance, I was pretty sure I would be able to see it onboard!

We will be apart of the New Year'e celebration....we have the grandparents, mom & dad and a 15 year girl and 4 year old boy.

Anyone with any advise for first time Disney Cruisers?

Fish extenders?

Recommend excursions?

Can we bring our own bottled water on the ship?

Fish Extenders are the metal fish hanging outside the stateroom doors. Each FE gift participant hangs a "fish extender" outside their door, and the other participants exchange small gifts this way during the cruise. Our FE gift exchange sign up deadline was October 15th, but you may post on DISboard to start another group (although there is very little time at this point to plan gifts). I've heard the second groups are sometimes called "guppy groups". Also, if you want to post it, some of the FE gifts participants may have planned extra and can include you in their gift giving, but no promises. Yes, you can bring water onboard in a suitcase. DCL lists the dimensions for the carry-on on their site. Also, I can't recommend excursions since I've never been to these ports. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter