Magical Express

taycreekcropper

Earning My Ears
So I have tried to figure out how to search threads about this topic with no luck at all.

Can you all tell me what was the ME like for you? How long did it take for your luggage to arrive at your resort, would you use ME again or not (for luggage retreival)?

I am on the fence as to whether or not to put my luggage tags on or pick up our own luggage?

:confused3

HELP ME!

I've used ME twice now.
I think it really depends what time of day you get to your resort.

We had a very early flight at got to Orlando around 11:00 a.m.
We got to our resort at 12:00 noon, checked into our room by 12:30 p.m.
We went to DTD and when we returned at 4:00 p.m. our luggage was in our room.

I found a thread on the Transportation board, here the link:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1144360

I am also sending your thread to the Transportation board.
I'm sure you will receive more answers.

OhMari

I've used DME three times, and it's been fantastic each time.

The first time, we got off the plane around 9:30 a.m., got to our resort by around 10:30 a.m. We had our immediate needs in our carry-ons. We were lucky in that our room was ready so early. We rested, then got lunch, explored the resort, went swimming, and when we returned from the pool our bags were in our room. Since we weren't there, we don't know exactly how long it took, but we were out of the room starting around 2 hours after check-in and returned about 4 hours after check-in, so the bags came some time in that time-frame.

The second time, we got off the plane around 10 p.m., got to our resort around 11 p.m. I forgot to ask to have our bags held 'til morning (again, we had well-stocked carry-ons), and our phone rang at 1:16 a.m. saying our bags were ready if we wanted them. So our bags were ready for us 2.25 hours after check-in.

The third time, we got off the plane around 8:45 a.m., got to our resort around 9:45 a.m. Our room wasn't ready until 5:15 p.m., so I honestly can't say how long it took for our bags to arrive, since they would've had to stay in the resort's storage until our room was ready.

Overall, what I can tell you from being on this and other message boards since DME began nearly 4 years ago is that DME works as promised. Are there exceptions? Of course! But they are exceptions, not normal occurrences.

I can also tell you that DME uses a high-tech system to track the luggage. Each DME luggage tag has a barcode. The barcode is scanned 5 times during the entire process in the Orlando area, from airport to resort room. And the luggage delivery trucks are tracked by GPS. In other words, Disney knows where your bags are at all times.

If you do choose to get your own bags at baggage claim (leaving the DME tags off your bags, of course), please realize it is very very likely that you will delay your own arrival at your resort. In the time it takes you to go to and wait at baggage for your bags, it is highly likely that you will miss the next available bus to your resort and will have to wait for the next one.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time during your stay!:banana:

ok you are definitely making me feel so much better...we are arriving at the Orlando airport for 3:40 pm. So from what you are saying, don't worry about it, just do it? I have already figured out that our essentials are coming in our carry ons. Toothbrush/paste & sunscreen with a change of clothes.....

Anyone else? Please I want to hear it all!

I have used the bus service many times, but had never tried the luggage. In Feb, I thought I'd give it a try, as I had some heavy bags (cruising and WDW). I placed the yellow tags on my suitcases, and it felt great not having to haul them around.

My plane arrived in MCO at 2:45 p.m. I went to my resort, then to a park, then back to my room. No luggage. I called Bell Services and was told that the bags had been collected and were at the airport. (I was glad that at least they had possession of them.) They said it would take a total of 5 hours, so I went to DTD. Got back--no luggage. (8:00 p.m.) I called BS again--bags were enroute from the airport. Swell--I had been up since very early in the morning and wanted to go to bed. At 9:00, I called again--and was told BS had them and they were on their way. At 9:15, my luggage was delivered. :worship:

I learned a lesson. :idea: I will be hauling my stuff next time.

I know it works out for many, but it's not for me.

we have used ME 4 times and will use it #5 next month. We used ME the first week of its existence. There were still bugs being worked out, but we LOVED it then and love it now.

The absolute worse part of my previous Disney vacations was waiting on my luggage at the carousel with all the rude impatient people and hyper uncontrolled children. Then getting to the rental car counter and standing in line for another 20-30 mins. YCK!!!

On our first ME trip, we did not get our luggage tags, before we left home, and our luggage still made it to the WL in 4 hrs.

My husband originally had trust issues with the luggage delivery, but he knows that Disney will always find a way to meet his needs. And he trusts Disney more than he trusts the airlines.

My only problem with ME is still the other rude inconsiderate guests. On the way Back to the airport at the end of our stay, we always end up stopped at one of the other resorts for extra time while some family is only partly ready, with missing family members, missing luggage, etc. I wish the bus drivers could say, "take the next bus."

So I have tried to figure out how to search threads about this topic with no luck at all.

Can you all tell me what was the ME like for you? How long did it take for your luggage to arrive at your resort, would you use ME again or not (for luggage retreival)?

I am on the fence as to whether or not to put my luggage tags on or pick up our own luggage?

:confused3

HELP ME!

We *love* DME!! We generally take red-eyes from the west coast so we do arrive pretty early to MCO (Anywhere from 6am to about 10am and off season) so the airport nor DME is that crazy busy yet.

Each time we've used them we literally walked off the plane, direct to an agent at the DME desk and onto the bus. The checkin and boarding has never taken us more than 10 minutes combined. Usually we sit on the bus 10-15 minutes max waiting for other travelers then head to the resort :) For us it's been seamless!

As for how long it took luggage? I have *no* idea since we're generally out and about but the luggage has always been waiting for us in our room when we returned to the resort. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

And as an FYI our last vacation we had to last minute change our flights to a completely different airline/arrival/departure time and everything still worked smoothly with DME! I called them (it was within a week of us departing for vacation) and they updated the info in the system and told us to not worry, even though our tags and docs indicated our original flights their system had the new info.

I will continue to use this service on my future vacations as it certainly beats waiting around for luggage and lugging it around. :cool1: Our next usage will be in August when hubby and I are taking my bro, his wife and their 3 kids for their first WDW experience!

ok you are definitely making me feel so much better...we are arriving at the Orlando airport for 3:40 pm. So from what you are saying, don't worry about it, just do it? I have already figured out that our essentials are coming in our carry ons. Toothbrush/paste & sunscreen with a change of clothes.....

Anyone else? Please I want to hear it all!

As they say, "Just do it!" :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Most of the time we arrive very late at night (around midnite). Our experiences have been great!! We have a carryon with what we need to go to bed and get out the door the next day, then our luggage has always been there when we returned to the room about 2pmish the next day. (This scenario is no longer possible with luggage service discontinued after 10pm)

The one time we did arrive in the morning (I was on a redeye from LAX, and DH was on the early AM out of Nashville), we also had a good experience. I arrived at 6:18 am and it was myself and one other family on the bus. I had a change of clothes and shower stuff in my carryon, and when I arrived at All-Star Music, I took a shower and changed in the bath house at the pool. I then gave my carryons to Luggage Services. DH arrived at the resort about 10am. We then proceeded to the parks. Our room was ready about 4pm, and when we got there about 5pm, our luggage was there. (Normally, we wouldn't have even returned to the room, but it POURED that afternoon, and we were heading to Ft. Wilderness to a friends camper that evening for a party, and really needed dry clothes.)

I've used DME about 8 times now....each time was fine, some were better than others. My best trip??? It took me about 50 mins from the plane to resort checkin, and because I had only carryon luggage, I didn't have to concern myself with when my tagged bags appeared.
The worst time was when my idiot dd refused to pack her carryon appropriately. So, we had to sit around and wait for her checked bags to get to the resort...POP. And POP has a reputation for being a wee bit slow on luggage delivery. We waited for 5+ hrs after being able to get right into our room at 11:00am.
Most times, the average trip from plane to resort is about 70 mins. Your luggage can take up to 4 hrs after you checkin at your resort. Longer waits are not common...but can happen

Can you send your tagged bags with DME and not ride the bus, but rent a car? People have done that. But, it is not how Disney intends DME to be used. If the airline was to misdirect your luggage, you wouldn't know about it until much later. Does that happen? Not a lot, but it is possible. Luggage delivery is 'supposed' to be a perk of riding the bus to the resort.
There is a thread soley for the purpose of discussing luggage only usage of DME. If anyone has an issue, go there and post. This thread is not going to be a debate.

Thank you all so very much.......I guess I'll take my chances and as one person said "just do it" and also the fact "the reason why Disney does this...."...

so I have decided to try it. My luggage will be there sooner or later, right? right!

I appreciate everyone's opinion.

Its my first time so I'm nervous and the unknown is scary.......bear with me.

Hi

Does anyone on this forum have anything to add, what are you experiences with the Magical Express? Good or Bad

I am on the fence as to whether I should pick up my own luggage or not?

First timer here...

Hi

Does anyone on this forum have anything to add, what are you experiences with the Magical Express? Good or Bad

I am on the fence as to whether I should pick up my own luggage or not?

First timer here...
Some more friendly advice from me ...

By saying you will "take your chances" with the luggage service, you're talking yourself into it being a bad experience for you. MILLIONS of us have used it, and used it very very happily. The huge majority of us don't see it as "taking a chance." We see it simply as "the way to do it." :goodvibes

Brief history of DME's success: initially announced as a possibly temporary program to run during the Happiest Celebration on Earth observance from May 2005 to November 2006. In April 2006 it was extended through December 2011. In February 2009 it was extended through December 2016. I spell all of this out as food for thought ... if it was an iffy thing that had a lot of problems, it wouldn't be so successful and wouldn't be continued.

ahhhh that sounds better....thank you Eric, you have sold me on it, I WILL be using the Magical Express to its fully capability, I will go home tonight and put my ME tags onto my luggage.

I was nervous, I get that way, I'm female. :bride:

Some people told me horror stories and they scared me, I don't want to be down there without clothing or make up - that would be too scarey!!!!

Thank you Eric, I appreciate your note. :cheer2:

ahhhh that sounds better....thank you Eric, you have sold me on it, I WILL be using the Magical Express to its fully capability, I will go home tonight and put my ME tags onto my luggage.

Some people told me horror stories and they scared me, I don't want to be down there without clothing or make up - that would be too scarey!!!!

Thank you Eric, I appreciate your note. :cheer2:
The 'horror stories' are a very small percentage...maybe 2%. The vast majority of guests, as Eric said, have been quite happy with their DME experiences. As long as you pack your carryon bag with anything you may need to start your stay, you should be fine.
What do I pack in my carryon??
swimsuit
change of clothes (shorts/tee shirt)
travel docs...resort confirm/flight plans
book
small toiletries (sunscreen, deod., mouthwash, hand sanitizer)
electronics...cameras, iPods, phone, chargers/cords
park passes

Not a lot....I can fit most of that into a largish tote bag. Then, I can checkin at my resort, change my clothes if I need to. I can either go for a swim and have some lunch at the resort, or I can head off to a park. When I return later in day, or that evening, my bags are in my room, all ready to be unpacked.

You truly are not taking any chances by letting DME move your bags. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Be sure to come back here and let us all know what you thought when you get home.

Remember as is human nature -- we like to complain -- so when things go wrong people hear about it loud and clear LOL and most of us just go about our way when things move smoothly so you hear the complainers more ;)

You have made the right choice to use the full capacity of the service. :thumbsup2 Can things happen -- sure... but the chances are pretty small I think. :)

I My plane arrived in MCO at 2:45 p.m. I went to my resort, then to a park, then back to my room. No luggage. I called Bell Services and was told that the bags had been collected and were at the airport. (I was glad that at least they had possession of them.) They said it would take a total of 5 hours, so I went to DTD. Got back--no luggage. (8:00 p.m.) I called BS again--bags were enroute from the airport. Swell--I had been up since very early in the morning and wanted to go to bed. At 9:00, I called again--and was told BS had them and they were on their way. At 9:15, my luggage was delivered. .,
Likely due to a late delivery of luggage (via a later flight) by your airline.
Can I send my luggage on ME, even if I rent a car and drive to my resort?
The official answer is no.

It'll work practically all of the time but you are technically not a Magical Express guest and the resort staff might not handle in your behalf rare airline baggage problems such as might be the immediately preceding.
On the way Back to the airport at the end of our stay, we always end up stopped at one of the other resorts for extra time while some family is only partly ready, with missing family members, missing luggage, etc. I wish the bus drivers could say, "take the next bus."
Improper for them to say that. If you miss your reserved ME bus back to the airport you are on your own. You have to make new arrangements and ther might not be room on another ME bus that makes your flight. I suggest that you target your arrival back at your resort for your Magical Express bus an hour before its time.

What happens if the airline loses your luggage or it does arrive on a later flight? How does DME know when and where to look? We have had missing luggage before and have had to file a claim. How does DME handle this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter