Magical express question

Vickyrowe

Only 4 Months Until My Birthday Trip !!!!!
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me , firstly i'll explain a little about my situation, my hubby has cerebral palsey and uses a large electic wheelchair all of the time, we stayed off site last time and had an amazing time but i want to try staying on site,

Due to DH we come with alot ( Seriously a lot) of extra equiptment, what i need to know is whether the Magical express would be willing to carry a large mobile hoisting system, a non collapsable shower wheelchair ( no heavier than a 23kg bag), and a portable toilet bar system.

Also as this is medical equiptment would it travel with us in our ME or be delivered with our bags later as we could not wait for it incase my hubby needed the bathroom etc.

We could consider hiring in Florida but due to DH he can only use certain styles and design , and due to the fact we will have a carer with us it would be against our terms of employment to use equiptment his staff were not trained in using due to health and safety.

Sorry if i've been rambeling but this decides for me whether we stay onsite pr not .

Thankyou
Vicky

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me , firstly i'll explain a little about my situation, my hubby has cerebral palsey and uses a large electic wheelchair all of the time, we stayed off site last time and had an amazing time but i want to try staying on site,

Due to DH we come with alot ( Seriously a lot) of extra equiptment, what i need to know is whether the Magical express would be willing to carry a large mobile hoisting system, a non collapsable shower wheelchair ( no heavier than a 23kg bag), and a portable toilet bar system.

Also as this is medical equiptment would it travel with us in our ME or be delivered with our bags later as we could not wait for it incase my hubby needed the bathroom etc.

We could consider hiring in Florida but due to DH he can only use certain styles and design , and due to the fact we will have a carer with us it would be against our terms of employment to use equiptment his staff were not trained in using due to health and safety.

Sorry if i've been rambeling but this decides for me whether we stay onsite pr not .

Thankyou
Vicky

I think your best bet on this one is to contact ME directly. This way you can get a 100% for sure answer. I would hate for you to get misinformation here and have your trip ruined once you get there.

Thanks for the quick reply,
I'll search for an e-mail address and ask them, Disney were so helpful last year so i'm sure we can sort something out.

I'll search for an e-mail address and ask them, Disney were so helpful last year so i'm sure we can sort something out.

You can always count on Disney to be helpful. Here's a phone number for magical express:

866-599-0951

Good Luck!

Being a fellow European, I might understand exactly why you are worried. You're used to a part of the world where there are no laws or basic standards for when it comes to this, resulting in any company easily going nuts as soon as they find out.

First up; don't worry about whatever he needs to drag along on the flight. You're flying to the US and as such the ACAA comes into play on this flight. Simply put; a piece of American legislation covering certain stuff about flying with a disability. As long as stuff is medical -and NOTHING else is in the suitcase or whatever used to transport- you are allowed to carry it on free of charge and does not count towards your luggage allowance. Good to know for those shopping sprees US-side. ;-)

Amongst a powerchair and manual chair, I travel with 3 suitcases (of which about 1/2 normal stuff like clothes), 2 carry on sizes and one to one and a half full sized suitcase full carry on. All of those apart from the 1/2 is medical. No biggie at all.

As far as DME goes; you can contact them and discuss it. They should put a note on your reservation. You'll need to inform them about DH needing a bus with lift anyway, if you haven't done that already. In my experience though, extra notes are not read and not always even visable for the CM's working at the airport. Again no biggie. Any and all that goes underneath the bus; they'll just store it. Worst case somebody will joke about it being much. As long as it fits; not a worry in the world. :) In case you have ANY wonder or worry about that; discuss the dimentions with DME beforehand to make sure.

You'll need to collect your bags at the airport yourselfs, as this is the easiest coming from Europe with no DME labels for the suitcases. In case of stuff that would NEED to be in the passenger compartment beyond a carry on, you can discuss it prior. But my experience; didn't help anything because the note wasn't readable. No problem, though. Just explained the situation, CM informed the driver and that was it. In my case apart from the 2 carry ons that can't leave my side it is that large size to 2 suitcases filled with tube feeding. They need to be stored at a certain temperature and seeing how only the passenger compartment is airconditioned, there you go. But again, if it can go in the baggage compartment (and a lift should); no biggie at all.

When you arrive at the resort, simply let bell services know that you need items A. B and C delivered directly because of needing it medically directly. I'm assuming you'll arrive after checkin time anyway, knowing the most common flight times so that shouldn't be a thing. Bags then also tend to show up ASAP. Heck, when you arrive at the resort WITH your bags on the DME they will arrive quick enough anyway.

I always have had bellservices navigate my stuff from DME to room and vice versa, incl. at resort that have no inside corridors. This includes said tube feedings that need to be stored at temps that often are not found in Florida weather when I'm there. Never been a problem at all. I simply tell them what is needed, why, what to be carefull with and why and it's taken care off. Most of the times I've actually had somebody from bell services follow me to the room or waiting there for me already.

Seriously; no biggie!

If you find you need the room furniture rearranged for it to serve DH better; don't hesitate and do it or if need be call for help to do it. Sometimes language barriers are a bit of a challenge (not all maintenance guys are that fluent in english) but that's your biggest hurdle. As long as something can be done and is OK as far as safety regulations goes they'll be happy to help. I've had stuff moved around, out of the room etc. on multiple occasions. Always had it noted, but it was never actually done until I was there and it was 100% I would be in the assigned room.

You might want to discuss the bed etc. with the special needs department though if the lift for DH needs to be able to move somewhat beneath the bed. As far as I know that's not always an option, so VERY important to walk through and make sure it's an option at the resort/room type you are booked at at this moment or make a change. You can find the number of the department in the stickies Sue made.

Oh with DME I do make it a point that they know beforehand that my stuff takes up some seats in situations where they plan people into that bus beforehand. Like on the way back to the airport. This to make sure nobody, or Iself!!- needs to be left behind because DME was counting on X amounts of seats but X+1 are needed because of me needing an extra seat. With my medical stuff not a factor as it'll be used up enough to fit into my carry on for the way back, but something to consider if you find you need to move bulkier stuff in the passenger compartment on the way back. From airport to resort they don't plan ahead that exact but look at the flow of folks more making it easier to make on the spot changes. With such I always (re)inform them when checking in for the DME so they can then work with it.

For the DME back; you'll need to call them a day beforehand anyway as they'll assign you a bus too late to the airport for international flights. The number will be on the letter you'll get a day before departure. Call them, have them move you to an earlier bus, remind them of needing the lift and this is the perfect moment to discuss in case you'ld need that more stuff in the passenger compartment. If not; no biggie in the regular baggage compartment underneath the bus.

Since DME did away with sending the luggage tags to Europe, the biggest hurdle kinda was removed. Now it makes no sense to NOT pick up your bags at luggage claim. It can be done, but easily takes a serious long time. And as soon as you have your luggage with you on the DME, bell services will move it a.s.a.p. anyway when arriving at a time after check in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter