Magical Express - Pickup Now 4 Hours Before Flight Departure...

Dis13

Mouseketeer
This is also from MousePlanet....

Quote:

Magical Express leaving more time for Condition Orange

Just a little more information to add to last week's story about changes to travel dictated by the Department of Homeland Security declaring Threat Condition Orange. Disney's Magical Express will now depart from resorts four hours before departing flights, rather than the previous three hours. This will give departing passengers more time to make their way through security before their flights.

Does anyone know if you can check your bags, but use a taxi to get to the airport? Four hours before departure is wasting a large part of our last day!!!

I think I would rather waste it than not make my flight.

you will be back to WDW - that is why you are a member.

You're absolutely right! Looks like it will be a relaxing morning at the pool instead of a quick run through Epcot for us!

Any idea how long it will take for me to get out of "commando" mode and into "DVC - I'll be back" mode?

give yourself at least a year. It is A BIG change.

but you will go to WDW one day and not have to see everything in all the parks. You might actually go to a park to eat then leave....

Is the best feeling knowing you will be back! :rotfl:

I don't know... I'm skeptical! ;)

Go to WDW and NOT go to the Magic Kingdom????? Blasphemy, I say!

Guess we'll just have to wait and see..... :teeth:

Have a great day!

Donna

Does anyone know what the earliest you can check your luggage in with Magical Express at the resort on the day you are to leave. I don't remember from last year if it was 9 or 10 hours before scheduled fight.

I got this from the transportation board, but would confirm when you check in:

"you can check your bags at least three, but no more than twelve, hours before your flight departs."

If I remember correctly, the airline check in counter closed at 1:00 pm when we stayed at the Polynesian in December.

Dis13 said:
Does anyone know if you can check your bags, but use a taxi to get to the airport?
For arrivals, you need to use the DME bus to get the DME luggage transfer service. However, anyone flying on one of the participating airlines can use the resort airline check-in service, whether you're using DME to get to the airport or not.

If you do wind up taking a taxi to the airport, be sure to cancel your DME reservation so they don't send a bus for you.

Just used it yesterday. We had a 3:35 boarding time for a 6:30 flight. No problem making it. Are they changing the new reservations?

Tim, who started planning the next trip already.

Guess rather than taking a 2pm flight out I will take a 5pm flight.

I need that last morning to relax at SAB!!!

And trying to go through baggage checkin at MCO is too much of a hassle. I will still use ME. Besides my son like the video going back.

To bad I'm not a lucky guy that lives within driving distance. Those guys have it so much easier getting in and out.

corpcomp said:
To bad I'm not a lucky guy that lives within driving distance. Those guys have it so much easier getting in and out.

It's sort of a trade-off for ducking hurricanes several months a year :rotfl2:

Sometimes my DH wishes he could take ME from home...instead of having me drive! :rotfl:

Dis13 said:
Does anyone know if you can check your bags, but use a taxi to get to the airport? Four hours before departure is wasting a large part of our last day!!!
Yes. If your airline participates in Resort Airline Check-in (and you're traveling on a domestic flight that doesn't leave too early in the morning), you are welcome to use the Resort Airline Check-in service to get your boarding passes and to check your luggage — even if you're not using Disney's Magical Express for transportation. In contrast, you are not allowed to use the inbound luggage service, unless you're using Disney's Magical Express for transportation.

However, don't cut it too close. When it was three hours, there was a good reason. If it's now four hours, I assume it's temporary, but that there's currently a good reason. Figure that 30 minutes of DME's time is to allow for potential stops at other resorts, but that the rest of the time is to allow for travel time, security, various potential delays, and the airlines' check-in and arrival rules. Also, remember that flights begin boarding 30 minutes before departure.

I'd rather arrive at the boarding gate an hour too early than one minute too late.

Glad to see that it will be 4 hours instead of 3. In March, before the new threats, we almost missed our flights because of the lengthy lines! There were a lot of upset people at MCO. While it's not the best way to spend our Florida time, it's for the safest reasons. :thumbsup2

MousePlanet is wrong!

I just called DME Guest Services at 1-866-599-0951 to update my flight information. I asked about the pickup four hours before flight time. Here's what I was told:

The DME pickup for domestic flights is three hours before scheduled flight time.

The DME pickup for international flights is four hours before scheduled flight time.

For one day only, when the new restrictions on liquids and gels went into effect, the DME pickup for domestic flights was four hours before scheduled flight time to allow security to go through bags to dispose of liquids and gels. Now that the new rules are known by most passengers, three hours is once again sufficient.​

Plus thats just a requested time you can call or change the request at the check-in counter to what ever you want.

How ever if you request a 2 hr time then it's on you if your late.

ME is very flexable with a simple call.

Horace Horsecollar said:
MousePlanet is wrong!

I just called DME Guest Services at 1-866-599-0951 to update my flight information. I asked about the pickup four hours before flight time. Here's what I was told:

The DME pickup for domestic flights is three hours before scheduled flight time.

The DME pickup for international flights is four hours before scheduled flight time.

For one day only, when the new restrictions on liquids and gels went into effect, the DME pickup for domestic flights was four hours before scheduled flight time to allow security to go through bags to dispose of liquids and gels. Now that the new rules are known by most passengers, three hours is once again sufficient.​

Thanks for the updated info.

I didn't realize you could change the time. When we went in May, we sat at the airport for almost 2 hours (it was pretty empty). I wasn't looking forward to a possible 3 hour airport wait!

Our flight is at 4:30 pm on a Wednesday night. I would imagine it wouldn't be terribly busy then.

corpcomp said:

Ya it takes me just about 7 hours to get home. Almost exactly the same amount of time it used to when I lived in Joisey. I actually dropped a friend off at MCO and then had him call me when he was in the limo on his way home from EWR....I had about another hour of driving to do at that point to get home to ATL. Of course the downside is I can't sleep away some of that time.

If I have a 7:00am flight out on a Friday, I'd be picked up at 4am? I wonder if that is too early? How busy is it that time of day. Once we flew out earlier that that but I don't remember how busy it was.

Dis13 said:
When we went in May, we sat at the airport for almost 2 hours (it was pretty empty).
Yes, a best case DME scenario is that DME passengers could arrive at the gate almost 2 hours before boarding. That would happen if the DME motorcoach made no other pickups, there was a quick 30-minute ride with no traffic slow-downs, there was no line at airline check-in (or the passenger already checked in at Resort Airline Check-in) and no line at security, and the passenger navigated the huge Orlando Airport quickly. Boarding is usually 30 minutes before flight time.

In reality, DME motorcoaches can stop at other resorts, Orlando traffic is unpredictable, airline counter lines can be long, TSA lines can be 30-45 minutes, and it takes more than a few minutes to get from the curb to the gate.

It's dangerous to plan on a best case scenario. (Anyone who flies regularly can tell stories of passengers who yell from the back of lines that they have flights to catch or who run up to gate counters screaming "it's not my fault that the lines were so long!" after the aircraft door has been closed.)

I think the DME pickup three hours before departure is reasonable for domestic flights. Ideally that leaves time for a meal at the airport.

Horace Horsecollar said:
Yes, a best case DME scenario is that DME passengers could arrive at the gate almost 2 hours before boarding. That would happen if the DME motorcoach made no other pickups, there was a quick 30-minute ride with no traffic slow-downs, there was no line at airline check-in (or the passenger already checked in at Resort Airline Check-in) and no line at security, and the passenger navigated the huge Orlando Airport quickly. Boarding is usually 30 minutes before flight time.

Yup. That pretty much describes our DME experience in May - picked up at OKW - stopped at SSR - no traffic - first stop at airport - no line in security -- lots of time to get something to eat! But you're correct, one thing goes wrong, and we're running to catch our plane. Better to be safe than sorry!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter