• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magical Express - Never Again

But if you can afford another option, it's hard to justify taking Magical Express if you value your time.
But then it's a cost/benefit analysis. The general consensus is renting a car will save you 20-30 minutes of ME. Are there things that can slow ME down (shortage of busses, a lot of people)? Absolutely. Are there things that can slow down using a rental car (delay on bags, issue with the car)? Yes. Now, how much is that 20-30 minutes worth to you?

Regarding the "bathroom breaks taking up time waiting for luggage", we take bathroom breaks every time we get off a plane. We've had luggage show up about 10 minutes after getting to baggage claim, and one time was 45 minutes-1 hour.

But then it's a cost/benefit analysis. The general consensus is renting a car will save you 20-30 minutes of ME. Are there things that can slow ME down (shortage of busses, a lot of people)? Absolutely. Are there things that can slow down using a rental car (delay on bags, issue with the car)? Yes. Now, how much is that 20-30 minutes worth to you?

Regarding the "bathroom breaks taking up time waiting for luggage", we take bathroom breaks every time we get off a plane. We've had luggage show up about 10 minutes after getting to baggage claim, and one time was 45 minutes-1 hour.
True, the one variable I keep forgetting to consider is waiting for bags. I make every effort never to check luggage for this exact reason, but for those that are checking bags, the equation is certainly a bit different.

True, the one variable I keep forgetting to consider is waiting for bags. I make every effort never to check luggage for this exact reason, but for those that are checking bags, the equation is certainly a bit different.

I'm a huge fan of paying for a town car late at night. If I have to get my own bags, I want to know I will be on my way asap. But unfortunately sometimes the budget dictates otherwise.

We flew in at 5:30PM on Thanksgiving day, and the ME queue d maybe 20 people in it total. We waited 10 minutes to get on the bus, and another 25 minutes sitting in the bus before we left. We have actually only had a long wait at DME once in 9 trips, which was back in 2008 and were staying at All Stars.

I think it can be a hit or miss depending upon the time of day and day of the week. I would imagine that arriving on a Saturday morning would be one of the busier times for the magical express. We love using it and really once we land we are not too concerned. We will get to the resort. When we did an arrival on a Wednesday we arrived late morning little before 10am and there were very few people in line, we boarded the bus - I could't tell you how long we waited on the bus because we were just happy to be on our way. I would guess maybe 20 minutes and then we were at our resort a little after noon time.

IDK. I get the budget thing but it's a car and driver for us when we go and it will be when we go in February. Its awesome walking past those enormous lines for buses. First thing were gonna do is wait in some annoying line to be driven to four hotels dropping people off before we get to ours?

No way.

Plus we stop at the grocery store and get supplies, snacks and such which is really cool.

It costs like 80-100 with tip. One way.

IDK. After getting hosed for seven days we figure it's the best bargain for our convenience at the right time we get all week.

If you're traveling with multiple adults especially. You can get at least 4 adults in and share the cost.

It's a must do in my opinion.

Hiring a car and driver is the only way to go. Costs about 80-100 with tip. You can also stop for groceries and such on your way.

Last thing were doing is waiting in those enormous cattle lines for the bus first thing.

I recommend it if you can at all afford it.

Hell you can spend 100 on breakfast for four people there.

What budget are we talking about actually?

Ya know?

Shoes...this thread was created because of the unusual circumstance of the crazy lines last week. Not because it's common. :)

We generally have a rental because we go offsite often, not because the lines are usually long. Last saturday afternoon was an outlier in my experience.

IDK. I get the budget thing but it's a car and driver for us when we go and it will be when we go in February. Its awesome walking past those enormous lines for buses. First thing were gonna do is wait in some annoying line to be driven to four hotels dropping people off before we get to ours?

No way.

Plus we stop at the grocery store and get supplies, snacks and such which is really cool.

It costs like 80-100 with tip. One way.

IDK. After getting hosed for seven days we figure it's the best bargain for our convenience at the right time we get all week.

If you're traveling with multiple adults especially. You can get at least 4 adults in and share the cost.

It's a must do in my opinion.
It's a very personal decision as to how to get to WDW from MCO. To begin with, DME seldom stops at 4, let alone 5, resorts. It's usually three...so if you're the third stop, it's probably taking you an addtl 10 mins. As far as groceries, snacks goes? I use a delivery service....yes, there is a charge, but it's much, much less than a car service.
I've used a car service, many times. With baggage, it has taken me 60 mins to get from the gate to my resort. Without baggage, it takes about 45 mins. Add in a grocery stop, and you're up to 90 mins. I get the same time if I take DME and have my groceries delivered. You say you've spent seven days getting 'hosed'...it's up to each person to decide how their money gets spent. I don't spend much at WDW.
I've decided that having a car there is a great thing...yes people, I've come around to that way of thinking!!!

I don't care about time really. Im not chomping at the bit to get to the hotel as fast as possible here. I'm excited to be on vacation sure but I wanna be comfortable and relaxed and I get that with a car service.

I would never rent a car for myself because theres no where else I need to go and I would be upset to have to pay an additional 30-50 dollars fee just to park it in he hotel lot. Per Day!

IDK. Like I said. It's a nice feel to walk past that crazy line with a driver carrying some of our bags as we walk another fifty feet to a comfy town car.

This year we are going to try to find a grocery store that can fill an online order for us to save time but my gal just runs in anyhow and it doesn't take 45 minutes. It's a 15 minute stop Max.

I dont know how you go to Disney and not spend much money like you said. It can certainly be done more affordably than we do it but no matter how you do it. Disney is expensive.

***Sorry about that sortof double post upstairs. Site was loading posts slow last night and I thought maybe I clicked the wrong button.

I don't care about time really. Im not chomping at the bit to get to the hotel as fast as possible here. I'm excited to be on vacation sure but I wanna be comfortable and relaxed and I get that with a car service.

I would never rent a car for myself because theres no where else I need to go and I would be upset to have to pay an additional 30-50 dollars fee just to park it in he hotel lot. Per Day!

IDK. Like I said. It's a nice feel to walk past that crazy line with a driver carrying some of our bags as we walk another fifty feet to a comfy town car.

This year we are going to try to find a grocery store that can fill an online order for us to save time but my gal just runs in anyhow and it doesn't take 45 minutes. It's a 15 minute stop Max.

I dont know how you go to Disney and not spend much money like you said. It can certainly be done more affordably than we do it but no matter how you do it. Disney is expensive.

***Sorry about that sortof double post upstairs. Site was loading posts slow last night and I thought maybe I clicked the wrong button.
I'm confused, if you are staying on site (which presumably you are talking about since ME only goes to onsite hotels) you don't pay to park - either at the hotel or parks. When we rented a car I paid about $175 for a full size for a week - so not 30-50 a day for the car and actually about the same as your roundtrip car service. As goofy4tink said, how someone chooses to spend their vacation dollars is very personal. I personally think BBB is a waste of money even having 2 young daughters, but others disagree and spend hundreds there. Its really a personal choice.

The bolded makes no sense. If ME is even an option, that means your'e staying on site and there's no additional parking fee. If you're staying off site, ME's not an option.

If you're not in a rush and your only qualification is to be "comfortable and relaxed", I don't understand how ME doesn't fit the bill. OK, maybe the waiting for a bus isn't comfortable, but you've got to wait for your luggage. Once you get on the bus, the seats are comfortable (these are motor coaches, not school busses).

Also, isn't the lines for ME at the far end of the building? Do you really walk past the ME lines to get to the town car parking?

ETA: How do you return to the airport? Another car service?

I just looked it up and the stadium is in downtown Orlando, which isn't really that close to wdw. I can't imagine the hordes staying at wdw, taking dme, and planning to travel up/over 4 for the game. Wouldn't those people be getting rental cars?

Why "yes" we are lol.

Part of my trip earlier in Jan is for a semi pro football championship game that team one of my DSs coaches is involved in Daytona. I don't usually associate football with Orlando based trips.

I love football but still on fence as to whether to spend all day @ Universal for the HP thing that day or head up to the bowl during the 2nd trip.

Not rushing to decide, there are still tons of empty seats on ticketmaster for the game...surprisingly, not as popular as I had expected with locals. Not sure traditional park-goers would be eager to 'sacrifice' even a portion of their day if not huge football fan but JMHO.

Uber always an option but possibly surge pricing for game-goers as I'm sure traffic will be a zoo near the stadium.

I'm confused, if you are staying on site (which presumably you are talking about since ME only goes to onsite hotels) you don't pay to park - either at the hotel or parks. When we rented a car I paid about $175 for a full size for a week - so not 30-50 a day for the car and actually about the same as your roundtrip car service. As goofy4tink said, how someone chooses to spend their vacation dollars is very personal. I personally think BBB is a waste of money even having 2 young daughters, but others disagree and spend hundreds there. Its really a personal choice.

Oh I figured they had the standard Resort/parkimnmg fee for parking your car in the lot. We stay at The Swan.

The bolded makes no sense. If ME is even an option, that means your'e staying on site and there's no additional parking fee. If you're staying off site, ME's not an option.

If you're not in a rush and your only qualification is to be "comfortable and relaxed", I don't understand how ME doesn't fit the bill. OK, maybe the waiting for a bus isn't comfortable, but you've got to wait for your luggage. Once you get on the bus, the seats are comfortable (these are motor coaches, not school busses).

Also, isn't the lines for ME at the far end of the building? Do you really walk past the ME lines to get to the town car parking?

ETA: How do you return to the airport? Another car service?

I just assumed there was a parking fee. Yes we walked right past the back of the ME line to get where the lady was parked walking from bag claim.

Yes we take a car service back as well and are probably taking a car service to MK from the Swan one day early because we have to be there at 8 AM and I dont think the buses are running that early.

IDK it was just nice not having to wait and getting personalized service.

We used it once years ago. It took a little over 2 hours to get to the contemporary resort and 6 hours for us to get our luggage. Never again.

Oh I figured they had the standard Resort/parkimnmg fee for parking your car in the lot. We stay at The Swan.

I just assumed there was a parking fee. Yes we walked right past the back of the ME line to get where the lady was parked walking from bag claim.

Yes we take a car service back as well and are probably taking a car service to MK from the Swan one day early because we have to be there at 8 AM and I dont think the buses are running that early.

IDK it was just nice not having to wait and getting personalized service.
Buses at onsite hotels start at 6:30.

We arrived two days after thanksgiving. We always get our bags and take them on the ME because I like to have my luggage when I get to the resort. It took about 10 min for luggage and then got to ME. We were going to bay lake and the bus had just left so we were the first ones in line. It took about 15 min for the next bus. However the line for the value resorts was huge, probably a hundred people or more. So I guess we got lucky.

We arrived two days after thanksgiving. We always get our bags and take them on the ME because I like to have my luggage when I get to the resort. It took about 10 min for luggage and then got to ME. We were going to bay lake and the bus had just left so we were the first ones in line. It took about 15 min for the next bus. However the line for the value resorts was huge, probably a hundred people or more. So I guess we got lucky.

You did, and it is great when you do! I've had great experiences like that, and I've had one where it was 2 1/2 hours from landing to standing at my resort check in desk. That is the thing, you have no idea ahead of time which experience you will get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter