Magical express/member services/airplane transportation

jwmccullough

Earning My Ears
I have another question or two for the group.
1) Do you have to request Magical Express service when you book with Member Services? Must you also book you flight with Members Services for this?
2) Has anyone compared flight rates offered by member services with what is available through other sources online?

Comments welcomed!

Thanks
Jess

I would really like to know how this works also! I thought it was something your reserved with the airlines....???

:confused3

I did not book my flight with member services.

But I did just make a reservation for the Magical Express through the DVCmember.com website. Just asked for you name, address, airline, flight number, etc. very easy. Just hope it works. I think I may have done the reservation a little early, not travelling until December - but I figure the date I am travelling will not change, and the airline will not change. :rolleyes:

Yesterday I made a reservation for November with Member Services. I did ask while on the phone about Magical Express since I was going to book my own airline tickets. Member Services told me to just call back when I had my airline information.

I booked my SWA tickets and called them right back. They looked up my November booking and asked for my Airline and arriving and departing flight numbers.

I was then put on hold while the MS Rep. went to print something. When she came back on the line, she told me to expect the luggage tags to be mailed out to arrive around two week prior to my trip.

She also said that when I arrived at MCO to skip baggage claim and proceed to the pickup level for Magical Express. Instructions will be included with the luggage tags. My bags would arrive at my room around two hours after I checked into the room. She also cautioned to bring anything we might need at the resort on our carry on because of the delayed arrival of the luggage.

It was a relatively painless process and I hope the actual experience goes as well as the recent reports have indicated on the transportation board.

Have a great trip! :)

The price for our flight (Spirit from AC to MCO) was exactly the same when I asked about it through CRO (just before we joined DVC-we originally had a regular folk trip planned but cancelled in favor of DVC). Can't answer the question about ME--we like a towncar service w/ a grocery stop.

jwmccullough said:
2) Has anyone compared flight rates offered by member services with what is available through other sources online?
I would sure double-check. Most airlines guarantee their lowest fares on their website, but that doesn't mean other channels won't have the same fare. What I find, though, is that I usually have much better flight choices on the airline site than through some middle-man.

I had no problems reserving my ME. I just called DVC and provided the arrival and departure times and airline (you can only use certain airline with ME).
I did not have to reserve my airline through DVC.

Always shop for the best airline price online and by calling DVC and other travel agents in your area. I watched online daily the cost of flights for our trip in Sept. When I started the cost was nearly $300 each and within 4 weeks the cost had come down to $178 each and I booked.

bjenk10704 said:
I had no problems reserving my ME. I just called DVC and provided the arrival and departure times and airline (you can only use certain airline with ME).

ME can be used with any airline. But you are correct that at departure time you can only use the resort check-in with participating airlines. If you use a non-participating airline you just have to take your baggage to the bus and then check your own bags at the airport.

Here is the blurb from the Official WDW site regarding ME:

Disney's Magical Express Service
With this complimentary service, which is available to Disney Resort Guests during the Happiest Celebration on Earth, you simply attach the personalized luggage tags we send you, check your bags at your hometown airport – and your vacation starts the moment you land at Orlando International Airport!
Bypass baggage claim when you arrive and board deluxe air-conditioned motor coaches to Walt Disney World® Resort. You won't even have to think about your bags, which will "magically" appear in your room upon check-in.
Save on transportation costs, tolls, and more - the service is complimentary.
When your vacation's over, you and your bags are taken back on deluxe air-conditioned motor coaches from your Disney Resort to the Orlando International Airport.
Guests traveling on participating airlines (domestic flights only) can receive their return airline boarding passes and check luggage at their Disney Resort. Bypassing airport check-in is just another benefit of Disney's Magical Express.
Book at least 10 days in advance. Pet carriers are not included.

I just reserved ME through MS the other day when making our reservation. I hope this works out well!!!

My sister just got back from a stay at AKL. Hanging out in the lobby, she overheard one horror story after another about Magical Express involving long waits, lost baggage, etc... Think twice before using it.

Oh no...you have me very worried. Perhaps I should continue to look for rental rates. :(

I am generally optimistic about premier services like this, but I do not think that I will ever try ME myself. Airlines lose luggage as it is. I have had my luggage end up somewhere where it shouldn't be. I have always got it back. Just a hassle. Now imagine, the airline has your bag, they need to get it to someone to get it on a Disney bus, who has to get it to the right hotel, who has to get it to your room. There are plenty of people who say the service is great. It is just too many people to rely on for me. Plus, I enjoy renting a car to have on-site, so maybe I am biased.

buzz5985 said:
I did not book my flight with member services.

But I did just make a reservation for the Magical Express through the DVCmember.com website. Just asked for you name, address, airline, flight number, etc. very easy. Just hope it works. I think I may have done the reservation a little early, not travelling until December - but I figure the date I am travelling will not change, and the airline will not change. :rolleyes:
My DD just got notified for the second time of a flight change for her Nov trip. She booked online back in July. She called Delta and finally got the her flight times confirmed. MS told me to register for DME in Oct for our Nov trip.

Are the concerns with ME strictly luggage related issues or transportation in general? My reason for asking is that we are using ME next month for a quick weekend trip for just DH and myself and we will only have carry on luggage. I am not worried about the transportation from the airport, but I just don't want to be concerned the whole trip that transportation back to the airport will be late, etc.

tiggercrew said:
Are the concerns with ME strictly luggage related issues or transportation in general?

I have just heard or read that waits can be a bit long to get to the resort from the airport.(and plenty of baggage issues) I have not read about any problems getting back to the airport. I have not used it myself, so it would be nice to get some first-hand experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter