Magical Express and Dining Reservation

bobber84

Earning My Ears
Is it possible to make it on time to a dining reservation at 2:45pm when my flight arrives in Orlando at 12noon and I'm taking Magical Express? The reservation is at Le Cellieur at Epcot and we are staying at POP.

Still hoping to get a different reservation, but had to change plans less than 2 months out and this is the best I could get (Glad to get something!)

Thanks for all of your help!

If your flight arrives ontime, at noon, you can pretty much expect to be at Pop by 1:30ish....maybe sooner, possibly later, but 1:30 is a decent time to go with. You need about 30 mins to get checked in and to your room. So, it's now close to 2pm.
If you take the bus over to Epcot, you need to figure on that taking a total of 30 mins...wait time plus actual drive time. Now, it's 2:30. It takes about 15 mins to get back to LeCellier from the front of the park. It would be very close. Would I do it? Nope. I never book anything for under 4 hrs after my arrival time...ever. And even at that?? I had something booked last Dec that was a full 3.5 hrs after my flight landed..and I was staying at the same resort the function was going to be in. BUT...my flight had mechanical issues...we had to wait for a new plane to come in. We arrived 3 hrs late!!!! By the time I got to my resort, the function was over!!! Not a happy camper.

The only way you might be able to make it is if you take a cab from Pop, over to BC, then enter Epcot via the International Gateway. It takes about 10 mins to get to LeCellier from there, and it's less busy at the bag check and turnstiles.

If everything goes PERFECT (no flight delays, no other unexpected issues), you MIGHT make it. I wouldn't count on it though.

Let's do it step by step...just for giggles.
You land at noon. You now need to taxi to the gate, and get off the plane. Now, it's 12:15ish. Walk down to DME, check in, wait for the bus, on the bus, ride to Pop...takes an average of 75 mins. Now? It's 1:30ish
You checkin at Pop, go to your room, freshen up...return to the bus stop area....now, it's 2ish. Wait for the Epcot bus....2:15. Arrive at Epcot...2:20ish. Get to bag check, go through the turnstiles..now? It's about 2:35ish. Walk to LeCelliler....15+ mins....you are late.

If you take a cab....you've checked into your room, go out to get a cab. It's now 2ish. Cab takes you to BC...arrive there at 2:10ish. Walk to Intnl Gateway...8 mins, now it's 2:20ish. Enter via the IG...2:30ish. Walk to LeCellier....arrive by 2:45ish. You may be a few mins late but that should be fine. The cab will run about $10 or so.

Add to this that sometimes 'stuff' happens along the way. You could end up taking more than 70 mins with DME. It happens. You could also hit everything just right, and have it take an hour.
5 mins from gate to tram
10 mins from tram to DME
2 mins check in
5 min wait for bus
5 min wait on bus
30 min ride to Pop.....this is really best case scenario, and it doesn't happen often.

Is it really necessary to spend a lot of time at POP checking in and going to your room? I've never taken DME so I don't know if there's stuff I'm missing, but it seems to me that if your party is really motivated to get to Le Cellier by 2:45 and you don't have anything in particular you need to do at POP, you could just go on to Epcot. (Could you even just take the DME straight to an Epcot resort, and go back to POP to check in afterward?) Sorry if this comment is woefully uninformed about how DME works or about your particular situation.

Is it really necessary to spend a lot of time at POP checking in and going to your room? I've never taken DME so I don't know if there's stuff I'm missing, but it seems to me that if your party is really motivated to get to Le Cellier by 2:45 and you don't have anything in particular you need to do at POP, you could just go on to Epcot. (Could you even just take the DME straight to an Epcot resort, and go back to POP to check in afterward?) Sorry if this comment is woefully uninformed about how DME works or about your particular situation.
Yep, kinda uninformed...:thumbsup2
You can only take the DME bus to the resort you are registered at. I guess that if the OP wants to, they can always just take a cab directly to the Epcot area. That would save time...but they will have to keep all their carryon bags with them. And that's a pain.
They could cut out some time by just checking in, dropping their carryon bags with Luggage Assistence and then going directly to Epcot. But I find that most people want to check out that room when they first check in!!

It is possible, but highly unlikely that you make it. Is there a reason that you need to go to your hotel first? Are you on the dining plan?

Okay, understood. And it did occur to me after I posted that most people would probably need to check in in order to get their park tickets, or dining plan, or whatever.

I was just thinking, if it were me and another adult, and we really wanted to make that reservation, we would probably be willing to skip the whole going-up-to-the-room-using-the-bathroom-changing-the-shirt-sitting-around-for-five-or-ten-minutes deal, and we'd be able, and ready, to move a bit faster than people are factoring into their calculations. We'd probably dump our bags at the desk and head straight out. So I just wanted to raise that possibility for the OP, before they cancelled the reservation because of everyone saying the timing'll be so tight. :) Just offering that perspective.

Yep, kinda uninformed...:thumbsup2
You can only take the DME bus to the resort you are registered at. I guess that if the OP wants to, they can always just take a cab directly to the Epcot area. That would save time...but they will have to keep all their carryon bags with them. And that's a pain.
They could cut out some time by just checking in, dropping their carryon bags with Luggage Assistence and then going directly to Epcot. But I find that most people want to check out that room when they first check in!!

And people never count on hitting POP just as 50 other families do and 2 CM's called off sick at the last minute so check in takes 20+ minutes and there is also a line at Luggage assistance. Or it takes you a long 5 minutes to find your room and it is far from a bus stop so another 5 back to the stop and the bus pulls away just as you are rounding the bend so now you have to wait until another bus shows up and if it isn't in the morning could be another 20 to 30 minutes.

Or there was an accident on the highway and traffic is at a snails pace....

Always remember Murphy's law.

Thank you for your replies.

I figured it would be cutting it close, but as I said, I was able to snag a reservation with under two months left, so I took it and will wait to see what happens. Still hope to find a better fitting reservation on a different day.

We are a large group traveling together (15 of us). The reservation at LeCellieur is for 2 in the group.

I had all of our dining reservations set 180 days out. Two weeks later my brother decided to come with, had to change reservations. After another week my sister-in-law joined the group....changed reservations again. This past weekend a bunch in the group decided they would like to go to Universal Studios for a day, could I change reservations around? ARGH!

We haven't been to WDW since Dec 2009. Had the same flight that we do now, stayed at All Star Movies. Our rooms weren't ready when we arrived, so we dropped our luggage and headed to Animal Kingdom. I thought we made it there by 2pm, but maybe I'm wrong.

Hoping some pixie dust will help me through...

Thank you for your replies.

I figured it would be cutting it close, but as I said, I was able to snag a reservation with under two months left, so I took it and will wait to see what happens. Still hope to find a better fitting reservation on a different day.

We are a large group traveling together (15 of us). The reservation at LeCellieur is for 2 in the group.

I had all of our dining reservations set 180 days out. Two weeks later my brother decided to come with, had to change reservations. After another week my sister-in-law joined the group....changed reservations again. This past weekend a bunch in the group decided they would like to go to Universal Studios for a day, could I change reservations around? ARGH!

We haven't been to WDW since Dec 2009. Had the same flight that we do now, stayed at All Star Movies. Our rooms weren't ready when we arrived, so we dropped our luggage and headed to Animal Kingdom. I thought we made it there by 2pm, but maybe I'm wrong.

Hoping some pixie dust will help me through...

I would let the others take the ME bus (with the carry ons) and then the two dining at Le Cellier can take a cab straight to POP (if you need to get your tickets/dining plan) or straight to EPCOT (if you have tickets in hand).

Are rooms at POP ready at 2pm?

My .02 cents is no way would I attempt this. What a way to start a vacation being stressed out about arriving, navigating through a big airport, waiting for a bus, waiting to check in and drop luggage and then waiting for another bus or waiting for a taxi, and then rushing through EPCOT.

It might be do-able if the two people grabbed a cab at MCO and left their carryons with the rest of the group and went straight to Beach Club and entered EPCOT through the Int'l gate.

Of course this only works if they already have their park tickets.

With the possibility of flight delays due to weather and mechanical issues, I just assume I will be at least one hour later than planned.

Great news...was already able to snag a different reservation (not perfect, but much more workable)! Cancelled the one that wouldn't work. No worries! Thanks for all the input!

Great news...was already able to snag a different reservation (not perfect, but much more workable)! Cancelled the one that wouldn't work. No worries! Thanks for all the input!

That's great! Have a wonderful trip! :goodvibes

Directly from the Walt Disney World website, I wasn't aware of this:

If I arrive prior to the standard Resort check-in time, can I get my tickets and other vacation package components to start my vacation?

Yes. Walt Disney World Resort Hotels will issue your Magic Your Way vacation package and purchased options when you arrive. If you take advantage of Disney′s Magical Express service, you can enjoy complimentary ground transportation to and from the Orlando airport - and we′ll take you directly to the Theme Park or recreation facility of your choice and then deliver your luggage to your room.

darrengs said:
Directly from the Walt Disney World website, I wasn't aware of this:

If I arrive prior to the standard Resort check-in time, can I get my tickets and other vacation package components to start my vacation?

Yes. Walt Disney World Resort Hotels will issue your Magic Your Way vacation package and purchased options when you arrive. If you take advantage of Disney′s Magical Express service, you can enjoy complimentary ground transportation to and from the Orlando airport - and we′ll take you directly to the Theme Park or recreation facility of your choice and then deliver your luggage to your room.

What? I don't think that's correct. ME does not go to the parks. It sounds like poor writing, where they mean go to the hotel, then you can go to the park. Because the first sentence is talking about getting your park tickets at the hotel.

What? I don't think that's correct. ME does not go to the parks. It sounds like poor writing, where they mean go to the hotel, the you can go to the park. Because the first sentence is talking about getting your park tickets at the hotel.

I thought the same thing, it was the word "directly" that caught my eye. Although I am not sure how you would get your tickets if they were part of a package.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/tickets-vacation-packages/#subCategory14

I thought the same thing, it was the word "directly" that caught my eye. Although I am not sure how you would get your tickets if they were part of a package.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/tickets-vacation-packages/#subCategory14

Yo get your tickets when you check in.

After you check in, they will take directly to the Theme Park or recreation facility of your choice via Disney transportation, not DME.

It's just clunky writing. The website is full of it.

Great news bobber84! Enjoy Le Cellier. I was there in ealry June and it was one of the best dinners we had.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter