MAGICal Cruise - NOT to Tortola! Surprise Double Dip Aug 15, 2009

Great trip report. I find it interesting you noticed many of the little things I did. I thought the bingo had overpriced itself and removed the fun factor with the machines. We didn't bother playing because part of the fun was my kids keeping track of the numbers and the added chance you could win (or lose) because someone missed one.

I also think think the shows are excellent but it would be really, really nice if they were changed every now and then.4

I noticed many changes in the food beside the regular menu change. I watch everything I eat and follow a strict diet but for one week I let go. My usual indulgences are oatmeal with strawberry sauce at Topsiders, lots of orange juice, real butter on english muffins and dinner bread, steak at dinner (because I am allergic to shellfish and avoid fish) and soup from room service at night. The strawberry sauce is gone and if you want walnuts you have to go find them, the butter is now tasteless overwhipped, orange juice was watery all week, the steak isn't on the menu and no matter what we ordered from room service it was never the same twice and it was always cold. Little changes but they were all my favorite little things and things I looked forward to. There we many noticible little changes when it came to food like less fruit, less choices on the buffet and no cookies at Goofy's Galley. I think if you are a new DCL cruiser they are not noticable but after 8 cruises we are now paying much more for less.

I'm so happy you had a great time after the change in ports. One of the great things about DCL is that they make sure changes due to weather affect the passengers as little as possible.

I updated the Day at Sea post to say we finally stayed up late enough to see an adult show! Woo Hoo! :woohoo:

Pictures of the beach, pictures of menu's, detailed descriptions of everything....and I wasn't there! Big tears welling up. Sniff, sniff. Don't worry, I'll be ok. :flower3: But, now I'll have to book the next one with you.:yay:
Is your mom going on the next one? I love cruising with your mom!:woohoo: ooo, girls trip! Yeah!

You just keep focusing on that remorse, Linda! The next one is a 4 night Wonder on Feb 28th - $400 pp, plus the kids were free! :scared1: Couldn't pass that up! Yep, it's me and mom and whichever two kids I am favoring at the time.:rolleyes1 (okay, readers, just kidding about the kid thing!).

...the butter is now tasteless overwhipped, orange juice was watery all week...Little changes but they were all my favorite little things and things I looked forward to. There we many noticible little changes when it came to food like less fruit, less choices on the buffet and no cookies at Goofy's Galley. I think if you are a new DCL cruiser they are not noticable but after 8 cruises we are now paying much more for less.

I haven't figured out how to do the multiple quoting in one post, hence the multiple posts...

You're right, it really was noticeable. re: the whipped butter - did you ask for butter? I noticed only butter substitute on the tables, which I don't like. I never did ask for butter in the end, I found I didn't need it for anything {all my pancakes were covered in whipped cream! :laughing:} And, sigh, the OJ really was terrible. :sick: My mom noticed that cookies seemed to be missing, but she wasn't sure where. I think on our past cruises she enjoyed a cup of tea in the evening with a cookie to quench the sweet tooth.

But, at least, the creme brulee rocked! lol! :cool1::banana::woohoo:

I never specifically asked if they still had real butter because when I mentioned the difference first in Topsiders and then during our regular rotation I was told that it was one of the recent changes and butter was not longer available. I have read others say they requested it and got it so our servers (who really weren't great) might just not wanted to bother. The only reason it was more noticable was that they rationed the new stuff too (at least at our table). There are 5 of us, they'd bring two full baskets of rolls and two saucers with three of the spread containers in each. It was a running joke that it because virtually impossible to request additional ones.

I can easily live without butter, buI think it stood out in our minds as an example of the difference. It seemed the cruise (we were July Tortola) was so different from what we were use to and seemed to be cheaped down in many ways. I know they were running specials during the summer where kids sailed free, etc. We never got the offers, paid full summer prices and feel this time I felt like we didn't get the quality cruise for the premium price we were once okay with paying.

The staff are truly still magical and I still loved every second on the ship. I think I'm just having a harder time justifying the price for us with thier recent changes.

I can easily live without butter, but I think it stood out in our minds as an example of the difference. It seemed the cruise (we were July Tortola) was so different from what we were use to and seemed to be cheaped down in many ways. I know they were running specials during the summer where kids sailed free, etc. We never got the offers, paid full summer prices and feel this time I felt like we didn't get the quality cruise for the premium price we were once okay with paying.

Nope, I totally get it! ::yes:: Honestly, I noticed the butter thing immediately at the first dinner! And I understand about the fare issue too; we paid full fare (i.e., no kids sail free) which really bugged me earlier this summer - glad I had forgotten about that come sail time!:laughing:

We have a reservation for 12/10 as well - planning on pushing it out a bit! We would love to have Disney offer some longer Caribbean cruises in 2011 or 2012 - that is our dream.

Hello to all the Tortola Treasure Seekers out there! :wave:

This is what we are hoping for too!! (although I keep reading the trip reports for the Adventures by Disney to places like Wyoming and the Grand Canyon....wow...but I am not sure there is enough "floating" there for Sean!!! :rotfl2:)

Jen, this is a GREAT trip report !!!!!!

Hi fellow Tortola Treasure Seekers, Great trip report Jen, loving it so far, reliving the cruise is one of my favourite pass times at the moment!!!

Mel
x

Hi Jude!
I've been wanting us to take a trip out west, see the Grand Canyon; Disney Adventures would be wonderful, but yikes on the $$$$ - I don't see it in our future!:rotfl: - btw...if DH won that $300m lottery last week, he's doing a VERY good job of keeping it as a surprise!
:rolleyes1 :laughing:

Hi Mel!
Another Seeker I was sorry not to meet "last week". (I will forever...well, at least thru September..keep referring to our cruise as happening "last week"! DENIAL!) I hope you and your family had a wonderful time!

Sigh. If I finish my Trip Report, does that mean it's really over?:sad2:

I'll start here, may have to add details and pics tomorrow - I'll get as far as I can tonight.

When the kids were younger, we'd be up early for breakfast, having a quiet ship to ourselves with the other early risers. Now that the boys are older and stayed out much later than we are all used to...combined with the dark, dark inner stateroom...we were sleeping in more than we ever have on a cruise! Still, everyone had to get up early today - Double Whammy Incentives -
Character Breakfast and Castaway Cay!!!

I was originally disappointed that our character breakfast was on Castaway Cay day, but it worked out just fine, as you will see, we didn't miss a second on the island! The breakfast took place before the all ashore (before we were even docked, I think).

For those who keep track - we docked stern-first this time.

DisneyMagic2009_0000.jpg

Character Breakfast

Character breakfast at Parrot Cay, bright and early around 8 a.m.! We enjoyed waffles, pancakes, all our carb-laden favorites! Ali and Bulelani made silly hats for us out of the colorful cloth napkins, putting everyone in a playful mood. The characters made their way deftly and quickly through the restaurant, stopping at each table for photo ops - they really are efficient with this! Although they moved along quickly, they were always patient with each table, posing for the pics!

I'm glad to say even my 16 year old was a good sport around the characters and posed along for the pictures!:hug::thumbsup2

DisneyMagic2009_8376.jpg

DisneyMagic2009_8360.jpg

DisneyMagic2009_8352.jpg

All Ashore - Castaway Cay II!

DisneyMagic2009_0042.jpg

View from the tram - what a slug! I can't believe I was using the trams!

DisneyMagic2009_0002.jpg

The Amazing (Hammock) Race!

As soon as breakfast was over, we hustled back to the room for teethbrushing and sunblocking. DH went on ahead to the island - he had a mission - this, his fifth trip to Castaway Cay, he was determined to get a hammock! He was in the first or second bunch off the ship, and waited for the tram. Others pondered whether to go on foot or wait, they ran ahead; DH said the tram ended up getting to the family beach first. Once there, he and another fellow scurried along, then evolved into a run...a good natured foot race! DH was glad to find the hammock behind the Conched Out bar available; a quiet, secluded oasis. He said people had already set up camp at the one right next to it! I recognized the others as Ducky Wms and his party - he probably came off with the staff earlier - I'm pleased to report they made good use of their hammock all day! No hammock squandering!

DisneyMagic2009_0012.jpg

DH immediately positioned himself in the hammock, where he quickly fell asleep and remained so for the next several hours!!! That is his idea of heaven!:cloud9: We caught up soon after. Remember how the play area was closed on Sunday due to shallow water? Today it was DEEP, honestly, I've never seen it so deep! I convinced one twin to take advantage of the deep water, while the other wanted sand soccer and games with Ocean Quest at Grouper Pavilion. DS16 made his way to the teen beach, and Mom got her floatie and proceeded to float. Everyone was happy! I rested on a lounge and had fun watching DS on the play gym. Boy, I was a slug this vacation - I think I really needed the rest!

DisneyMagic2009_0008.jpg

By the way, I had chosen a lounge that just happened to be the last lounge on the path the waiters take to get back to the Conched Out bar. Hence I was initially bombarded with offers for water, drinks. This would usually bug me, but as I said, I immediately realized I was the last customer between them (all the waiters!) and the bar on their way back. And, they did stop asking after a while!

Dipped in Butter!
Is it time for Cookie's yet??? You betcha! Swim twin, Mom and I had some lunch (I nibbled off Twin's plate, saving myself for Serenity Bay's lunch!). They had cold shrimp today! Next we watched the crab races - fun, Twin really enjoyed it. Later in the day, DH and the twins got to participate in the crab race and came in 2d in the finals! Woo Hoo!:woohoo: They adopted a name for their crab that they heard had been used last week - "Dipped in Butter" - too funny! They won Jonas Bros guitar-picked shaped dog tags.:upsidedow

Mom went for a bike ride and I said I'd meet her for lunch. I found other Twin and sent him back for lunch and rest (more sand soccer!). I ended up walking all the way to Serenity Bay. It's not that far, but it was an awfully hot day and I told you - I'd been a slug all week - not in shape at all!

By the way, you could see the various areas where construction projects had begun; one area was just to the right of Grouper Pavilion.

Serenity Bay lunch
Last night at Captain's Gala dinner, Mom had the lobster. She mentioned to our Head Server that she was looking forward to having some at Serenity Bay tomorrow (in '06 it seemed they were serving the leftover lobster at SB). He apologized and told her that they didn't do that anymore, at least to his knowledge. Hmmm...we still thought there'd be a chance, and we were right! They had grilled lobster at SB, and also grilled shrimp kabobs and steaks. So I had a cheeseburger, of course. I really liked their cheeseburgers! I got lettuce and pickles at the fixin's station, along with that barbque sauce with the diced pineapples in it - yummy!

No soft serve at SB today - they were serving hard packed ice cream. Mom continued on her bike ride, while I rode the tram back - hey, I didn't want to overdo all that exercise! Back at the family beach, the twins were enjoying the hammock. I convinced them to swim - the play area closed down soon after - shallow. We had fun on the float. DS16 came by as we were ready to leave - good timing. We head back a little earlier than usual; DH and the boys went for a swim in the Goofy pool and hot tubs, I strolled around taking pictures of the ship. I posted those on yesterday's report. Late afternoon on Castaway Cay day is a great time to take pictures around the upper decks - they are usually empty, with folks still enjoying the island or otherwise getting ready for early seating!

Castaway Cay

DisneyMagic2009_8381.jpg

I just read your entire TR from beginning to end and it was great!

Recently booked a 14 day transatlantic on the Magic in April, so I'm at that stage where you soak up everything you can about your ship! :)

Thanks a lot for your review, it has made me even more excited about this vacation.:goodvibes

Had to break that last report into two because I had too many images attached...

Packing it all in the last night! Phooey, did I say packing?:sad2:

Dinner in Animator's Palate - we said goodbye to our wonderful waiters, I knew there was no way I was getting up for breakfast in the dining room - I think we were assigned 6:45? Is that right?:scared1:

We took in Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer in Studio Sea after dinner - drat, our number wasn't called! They do a fine job getting as many folks up there to play within the half hour show! Afterward, we went to the Remember the Magic show. DS16 saw a group from the Stack and sat with them. The show included a little song and dance from the theater troupe - well done, some comedy from Don Friesen - excellent again, and a piece by the hypnotist. That was terribly lame. I can appreciate he can't do a hypnotism show in 10 minutes, but better judgment would have been not to include his piece in the finale - it was not up to Disney standards.

But we can't end on a negative note, can we?! DH and I finally found our way to Up Beat to purchase some Tortuga Rum as a gift for our neighbor, a DCL watch for $10, and Tortuga Rum Cakes for the inlaws and for me to share at work upon my return (sniff). Yummy! Not sure if I mentioned it, but the duty free shop at the Cozumel port had samples of all rum cakes flavors - it was great to try before you buy. The price on the Magic was the same as in the stores, so I was glad we wait until the end of the cruise to our purchase, so that the cakes weren't jostled around in our room all week. I enjoyed these cakes so much, I think this will be a new "tradition" for us, to buy the rum cakes when we cruise! :cloud9:

From there we made our way to the 'Til We Meet Again celebration in the Atrium - one last time to celebrate "Disney". Sniff. More sentimental tears!
Now it's time to say goodbye....

DisneyMagic2009_8412.jpg

Hey, it's the last night...can DH and I manage to stay up past 10? Yes! We made it to Pub Night! (well done, Cruise Staff!). and, just for old times sake, DH actually had a little food off the light buffet they served outside Diversions. cuz, you know, we hadn't eaten in like 3 hours!:laughing:

One more stroll around the ship. Around the moonlit lapping waves just beyond the reach of the Promenade Deck on Deck 4. Around the quiet and deserted Deck 9 pools and Deck 10 walk. The stacks are lit up so pretty - you should take some time to walk around late one night.:cloud9:

Morning came too soon, as did the end of the cruise. :sad1: We enjoyed breakfast all together at Topsiders around 7:30 or so and soon made our way off the ship. Sigh. Disembarking was an absolute breeze! Never went more smoothly - I was so impressed! A helpful porter took our extremely high pile of bags out to the car pick up area where we waited for our inlaws to bring our car. They arrived soon, and we all said our hellos and goodbyes, as we loaded into the van and began our 13 hour drive home up 95N. We've loved Disney sailing since our first cruise in 2004, so it was good to know we'd be back again on the new ship in 2011. :cloud9:

....and...little did I know then... Mom and I (and maybe -hopefully! - the kids) will be back sooner than we thought - a week after the cruise, I booked us on a little Wonder jaunt in March! Woo Hoo!:woohoo: That definitely helps ease the post-cruise distress!:goodvibes

Summary to follow! Thank you for indulging me!
:hug:

Jen
Thanks for such a great trip report!! Reading it made me feel like I was back on the ship...and realizing that your trip report is done, it feels like our cruise is over yet again...sniff!....

To all the Tortola Treasure Seekers (aka "Hurricane-Bill-induced-Double-Dippers"), I hope that everyone had as great a time as we did. What a great group of people to sail with!!! :woohoo:
Have a relaxing Labor Day weekend everyone!! (and for those in the UK, Italy and beyond, hope it's a great start to the week!)
...hope to see everyone in 2011 or 2012...
Jude

Jen
Thanks for such a great trip report!! Reading it made me feel like I was back on the ship...and realizing that your trip report is done, it feels like our cruise is over yet again...sniff!....

To all the Tortola Treasure Seekers (aka "Hurricane-Bill-induced-Double-Dippers"), I hope that everyone had as great a time as we did. What a great group of people to sail with!!! :woohoo:
Have a relaxing Labor Day weekend everyone!! (and for those in the UK, Italy and beyond, hope it's a great start to the week!)
...hope to see everyone in 2011 or 2012...
Jude

While it was a good cruise, Jen thanks for the memories, I still feel disappointed that we missed out on Tortola and St Thomas.

No question Disney made the right choice due to the weather, but Since I practially made the same cruise in 2006, this one ended up being a repeat. Not as much fun this time.

Hopely 2011 will bring new ports.

Yes, it's a month past and does feel truly over. But I'm giddy over this little Wonder jaunt in Feb/March - helps tide us over until Dreams comes out!:cool1:

A few observations, notes:

- My 4th DCL cruise, 3d on the Magic. She looked great, not worn down - at least, to the casual observer. On my 2006 Magic cruise, she was overdue for drydock (imho) and it showed via worn carpets, bathroom tiles, etc. The crew was always working, spiffing up the ship.:thumbsup2

- Cost-cutting steps were noticeable in little ways - for example, the buffets seemed smaller, less variety, even at Palo's. Did I mention the "butter substitute" on the tables?:scared1: I definitely support strategies to cut down on WASTE, but I hope they are careful not to dilute the usually wonderful cruise experience.

- That reminds me....bring back the cookies to Goofy's Galley! And some ice cream fixin's! ;)

- Food in general...hmmm...opinions will vary from palate to palate. It's not 5 star dining, but it is generally well prepared and the menus offer a variety. The desserts seemed less inspired this time around. Or maybe I was full! :rolleyes1 Hey, I'm just glad I don't have to cook and clean up!:laughing:

- The water pressure in the cabins was EXCELLENT!:woohoo:

- The Cruise Staff were high energy and friendly. Our wait staff worked hard , were friendly and aimed to please in true DCL fashion and our cabin steward went above and beyond to address our concerns. Always smiling, always a friendly face!

- The pools always seemed crowded this trip, even Quiet Cove, even on port days. I hope the new ships' pools are bigger.

- Ocean Quest was always full and seemed like a hit with the 'Tweens!

- LATE night hours for Stack and OQ probably helped kids stay entertained; I think it helped contain the 'wandering pack' mentality a bit. :thumbsup2

- Disembarking was a BREEZE - so quick and easy! High marks, DCL!

- Bingo has lost it's focus from an inclusive, fun activity to a quick, easy revenue generator. Boo, hiss DCL! If you want to charge those fees, then I recommend spreading out the prize money among more games, more winners.

- You could see some construction sites at CC, but nothing interfered with beautiful views, wonderful times!

- It was a full ship and tons of kids. But everything seemed to go smoothly and was well-organized (well, except the lines for final bingo - a bit disorganized). It never felt too crowded or like there were "too many" kids on board. Disney does a great job with crowd control!

- The majority of cruisers were repeat DCL cruisers. For us repeaters out there, hey, be careful: it's easy to get jaded, start comparing trips, or miss the wonder of it all! Slow down and enjoy the cruise you are on! :hug:Try doing something new, something you missed last time! :thumbsup2 And DCL - there's so many repeat cruisers - mix it up a bit! Bring on some new shows, new activities!

- The thing that brings me back to DCL over and over are the things I don't particularly notice at the time....the family-oriented atmosphere, no rude, rowdy guests (i.e., no over-the-top frat party atmosphere), activities to please everyone: families, kids only, adults only. And, the one thing that is noticeable and keeps me coming back - the friendly, cheerful demeanor of all the crew/staff!

- Finally, high marks for the quick Itinerary Switch. Like Ed, I was disappointed to miss Tortola. But we had 7 glorious days in the sun, which beats sitting in stormy weather! AND - thank you DCL for scheduling that extra Castaway Cay day on Sunday. I think they did that because it was likely our scheduled stop wouldn't happen later in the week due to weather. I am impressed that DCL would make this change "just in case"!:cloud9:

I'm sure I've missed a bunch - Treasure Seekers, add some of your own!:cheer2:

Thanks for the report! I keep telling myself I'll do one and never do!

Nice trip report!! I really enjoyed the pics- I was booked on that cruise but changed it for June- some great people were on there with you!!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter