• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MAGICal Christmas 2008 - December 20, 2008

I just book our first cruise. We have late dinning.

It will be me, DH and dd (10).

We have never cruised before - ever!!!

I started to read the thread - soo much info.

I look forward to learning a little more about what to expect.

Took DD shopping today. A month into school and she needs jeans already . . . Found her a great dress for Formal Night. It is so hard to find an age appropriate dress for a 5' 6" 12 year old with 33" inseam! But I think we found it. DH might freak a little bit at the lenght . . . but I can't do anything about her long legs . . . and if I find anything that is below the knees, the neckline is nothing I will let her wear! Now just need to make sure I fit in to my outfit and we will be set except for DS. Hoping I can get by with a pair of dress pants and a dress shirt and tie. Last time he insisted on a suit, but he has out grown that idea . . . I'll be happy if I can get him into dress pants and a shirt that buttons this year!!!

I just book our first cruise. We have late dinning.

It will be me, DH and dd (10).

We have never cruised before - ever!!!

I started to read the thread - soo much info.

I look forward to learning a little more about what to expect.

Kathy - welcome to the thread. Did you just book this cruise? There must've been some cancelations to make something available because the last I had checked, it was all sold out! Yay for new guests! Oh yeah, I remember now reading about a few folks here who either had to change their plans or some of their traveling companions were having to drop out. So yay for you getting the reservations! Just jump right in and we'll try to catch you up.

Took DD shopping today. A month into school and she needs jeans already . . . Found her a great dress for Formal Night. It is so hard to find an age appropriate dress for a 5' 6" 12 year old with 33" inseam! But I think we found it. DH might freak a little bit at the lenght . . . but I can't do anything about her long legs . . . and if I find anything that is below the knees, the neckline is nothing I will let her wear! Now just need to make sure I fit in to my outfit and we will be set except for DS. Hoping I can get by with a pair of dress pants and a dress shirt and tie. Last time he insisted on a suit, but he has out grown that idea . . . I'll be happy if I can get him into dress pants and a shirt that buttons this year!!!

DH informed me tonight that he will NOT be dressing up for formal night, and that he is NOT bringing a suit, and he is not planning to even bring a tie. So I'm thinking that Formal Night will be our night to dine in Topsiders for dinner - which I have been wanting to do anyway... and since it is a repeat of the same restaurant as the previous night, then it seems like a logical day to dine at Topsiders for us.

I do want to get a family picture made, so I need to pack some coordinating clothes for us. My boys don't like jeans, so even doing the jeans and white shirts pictures would be hard. Guess I need to figure that out.

We're at the Boardwalk tonight, and earlier the boys were in the pool. As they were getting out, they said they thought they would run up to Deck 9 to get some ice cream (LOL).

A question for all you 7 night cruise experts.

We have only been on the 4 night cruise before and the there is no formal night on those, so my question is how many passengers actually dress up for formal night. I am trying to decide what to take to wear for formal night.

We have already decided we are not dressing up on pirate night. We stood out way too much on the 4 night cruise in full pirate atire, when it looked as though only 20 or so other families dressed up on the entire ship.

Thanks

Paul

Who is heading to WDW after the cruise and where are you staying?

We are staying in a villa in Formosa Gardens in Kissimmee until 01/03, so we will be visiting WDW on a couple of occasions until then.

Paul

We have only been on the 4 night cruise before and the there is no formal night on those, so my question is how many passengers actually dress up for formal night. I am trying to decide what to take to wear for formal night.

We have already decided we are not dressing up on pirate night. We stood out way too much on the 4 night cruise in full pirate atire, when it looked as though only 20 or so other families dressed up on the entire ship.

Thanks

Paul
First of all, you'll notice that a lot more people dress up for pirate night on the 7-night cruises, than on the shorter ones. I'm not sure why, that's just the case. We'll definitely be dressing up. DH sings competitively with a barbershop chorus of about 70 guys, and last year their theme was pirates, so he has a full pirate costume and the girls have their pirate mickey dresses that my mom made a few years ago, so we're dressing up.

As for formal night, you'll see a wide range of dress styles from shorts to tuxes. :sad2: Anyway, it might be different this year, since it's a Christmas cruise, but you're really free to wear what you're comfortable with. My DH has a tux and 2 different Mickey vests/bowties, so he always wears that. And, since we rarely dress up as a family, I like to get the pictures.

But, as a general rule, I think that most men either wear a suit, jacket/tie or just a shirt/tie. Do what you feel most comfortable with, and you'll be just fine!!!

Took my 16 year old shopping yesterday. Finally complained that his pants were too short. And they were!!!! I had been complaining since August and bought him 2 pairs of pants for our August farewell to high school cruise. We both hate to shop so it was easy to avoid getting any more. Finally he said his friends were picking on his too short pants. Well, Macy's was having a sale and we got 5 new pairs, two sizes bigger and 2 inches longer!!! We also found a nice dress up outfit. Black jeans, white button down and a vest. He says he's styling now. AND he picked it out for himself, so he'll wear it.:yay:

Yes we are going formal even if it is just nice clothes I love to see everyone all dressed up. PICTURES!!! We even do pirates and get pictures. Some of my favorite were on the 10 day chrsitmas cruise with Jack Sparrow, my dughter and me!!!

:laundy: must fold laundry today before I work job 2 at the scrapbook store. Love to teach jr high but coaching and job 2 pay for the vacations we love so much. As a result, as long as I can do all the work, I will continue to reap the benefits.

:laundy: must fold laundry today before I work job 2 at the scrapbook store. Love to teach jr high but coaching and job 2 pay for the vacations we love so much. As a result, as long as I can do all the work, I will continue to reap the benefits.
Ooohh, Susan, job #2 sounds like so much fun!! Is it as fun as it sounds?!?!? I've always wanted to work at my local scrapbook store here. I love all the ladies that work there and it seems like SO much fun!! I'm just a bit jealous of you!! But, I probably wouldn't make that much, because I'd see all the new stuff and want to buy, buy, buy!!!

We will be dressing up for formal night. I love any chance to put on a dress and so does my mom. Matt in a moment of weakness agreed to wear a tux. As for pirate night we will not be dressing the part. Matt has a few pirate things he wears but my mom and I don't really get into it. I do love the party though with the fireworks and everything.

Lissa

Good morning all!!! The quincieneara is OVER!!!! YEAH!!! It was a lot of fun, and just as I thought, it was EXACTLY like a wedding!! Everything from the food to the toasts and dances (father/daughter dance, etc...). We got home about 1AM and my 4 y.o.:cutie: partied hard!! She looked SSOOO cute in her hot pink formal dress with hot pink roses and a tiara in her hair! I am going to have her dress and my outfit dry cleaned so I can wear it on the cruise for formal night. We are going full formal this year with DH getting a tuxedo and everything!! The older two kids hate the "dress up" thing, so they spend that time eating pizza and swimming.:confused3 So most of the dinner meals consist of me, DH, and DD4:cutie: .

Now it is on to Halloween and cruise time!!!! We love Halloween, but is not to well celebrated here in the south of Texas.:sad1: DD15 goes out "trick or treating" with friends and I make DS11 suffer with me in taking DD4:cutie: to a few select places to trick or treat.

I called Cafe Press and they are replacing my cruise shirts for free.:yay: I was going to let it go, but the ink is SSOOOO faded it really looks bad.:scared: I just have to finish up with my FE gifts and I am ready to cruise!!! I still have 4 days off (left from 7 days total!!!), so now I can focus on finishing up my shopping.

DD15 is ready to start packing now! We packed in January for our March cruise in 2007 and I was glad I did, because it made me see the things we were missing.;)

Shannon

For Pirate night - DD, DS and I will be wearing our Pirates shirts :-) And DH will probably just wear one of his hawaiian shirts (he bought a Jimmy Buffett shirt at Margaritaville during last years' cruise).

As for formal night - we'll dress up - but no tux for DH or DS. They'll just wear their suits and DD and I will wear nice dresses. I don't know if DH and DS will wear their suits for semi-formal night. We'll have to discuss that! :)

I need to try and minimize what I pack so I can bring more back! Plus we have 3 days at WDW beforehand.

I'm still super excited for this trip! :santa: We haven't begun packing, but I do have a list started and try to put things aside (like pirate accessories from last year's trip) so I know where they are when I do get to packing. Here in Maryland - we've been having some gorgeous weather during the day! Highs in the upper 70s......but it's chilly at night and first thing in the AM. So we're still wearing short sleeve shirts.....once we don't - those will be the first thing in the suitcases! :cool1:

Well how is everyone else's weather? We are sooo looking to cruising now that we woke up this morning to snow and snowfall warnings and of course this is our thanksgiving weekend. Real pleasant!:sad2: So hopefully the roads won't be too bad. Hope everyone has a great day!

Well, living in Central Florida, I can't really do much packing until right before we leave, since we use our short sleeves almost year round. But, all the other stuff, I start to put in a pile to get ready. Now, I usually end up cruising while it's still really warm here in Florida, so this is only my 2nd cruise during the winter season (once in Feb '06). So, I might be able to do some packing a little earlier, but our weather here is so unpredicable during the winter (some days are 50, and the next week it could be 80).:confused3

I am right along with Amy!! Here in south Texas it is warm all year round, so we are always is shorts and short sleeve shirts! (I love every minute of it!:) ). I pack all the things that I will not use on a day to day basis and the things I have bought specifically for the trip. We will be gone for almost two weeks this time around (with Houston, DCL and WDW), so my packing list has grown larger.:rolleyes:

I have three different dresses for DD4:cutie: : a princess dress (sleeping beauty/Aurora)that I bought from Disneyshopping.com for semi-formal night, a deep green velvet dress for Christmas dinner, and her hot pink evening gown for formal night. I think I read that Christmas dinner is the night of Christmas, so I guess I will have to improvise on one of the other nights?!?!:confused3

I have bought a small Christmas tree and strands of lights to decorate our staterooms, and two small Christmas wreaths for the doors. Has anyone else bought decorations yet?

Shannon

Our weather is georgeous this weekend. I love the weekends in the fall when it is sunny and warm. I can forget for a few minutes that the really cold weather is coming. Atleast we are getting away this winter. :santa:

I have only put aside little things, like FE gifts and pirate night stuff. I probably won't start packing until my classes are over at the beginning of December. I did start a list, so everythime I remember something I add it to the list.

Are you allowed to bring plug in lights on the cruise for your room or do they have to be battery operated?
I am going to bring a little tree as well.

Everyone have a great week.
I am waiting to see what kind of mood my dh will be in after the Eagles and the Phillies both play tonight.

Angie

Thanks

Paul

We will do a variety for Pirate Night. DS, DD might dress. I am hoping pirate night is the night we are in Cozumel and that is the night we will go to Palos. We usually dress up for Palo.

As far as formal and semi formal night, it is mixed. Some people are very formal some are very casual. We are some where in between. This time we are traveling with extended family. DSIL said her DH and DS's will not be in suits, but dress shirts and ties . . . not enough room to pack suits for four men. DD bought a nice black dress for formal night, I'll have a black sparkle twinset and either pants or a skirt. DH hasn't decide if he will bring his suit or not. Still not sure what DS will wear . . . as long as it is not jeans I am happy. He has had his own ideas about what to wear since he was 2. I will take him out soon to get at least pants. We'll see if he changes his tune and wants a suit. . . Semi-formal night will be a casual dress for DD and a jacket and pants for me.

Heck it is 87 degrees here in Indiana today! The trees are turning beutiful colors, we had a cool streak last week but it is smoking hot today. I bought a small christmas tree, some lights and I think I am going to buy some of the magnetic "paper" that office supply stores sell to print my own door decorations. I have attempted to make my own fish extender:rotfl2:, I don't sew so it is kind of ackward looking. Oh well it will work. And, hey I tried that has to earn me some credit. We went shopping yesterday and I could not help myself I bought pirate costumes for my 3 boys and my DD, I just couldn't bring myself to wait until after Halloween in case there aren't any leftpirate: I bad! Ok, it is official after this post I can actually start pming people back, until now I kept getting the you must post 10 messages before you can PM :woohoo:

I cannot wait for the cruise!!!!

We love formal night on the cruise, any excuse to really dress up. I love to be able to wear a long elegant dress and see my DH in his Tux, it doesn't happen that often so we really make the most of it and have the picture taken for the great memories.:dance3:

I was thinking of just bringing stocking to have filled by :santa: and hanging them in the cabin with the Command hooks that don't leave a mess to take off.
I have door decorations from last years cruise - some nice Christmassy ones that someone made and passed out to everyone on our shuttle bus from the Raddisson at the Port!!!! :yay:

Robin

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter