Magical Character Interactions

Goofy! I met Goofy on formal night and got some great pictures with him in his tux/tails...we danced a little for the pics and I said we should hit the dance floor later on in the cruise. When our party stopped in to the D Lounge to watch the dance party later in the cruise, Goofy spotted me on the sidelines, pointed to me and gestured that he was ready for that dance! So he came over and pulled me out on the dance floor, so fun! I was impressed that he remembered. Another great Goofy random encounter was on deck 4 when we were running to work off all of the delicious food we'd been eating, and Goofy came jogging by casually in his Goofy Sports running outfit. I suppose he was working off the Mickey Waffles too...

My DD (then 3) and I went to the afternoon tea on the Fantasy back in February. After the initial meets and photos, Tiana was standing behind our table waiting for Cinderella and Belle to finish chatting to everyone. I told my DD to go say hi to her and that turned into a 5min one-on-one interaction that included Tiana teaching DD how to courtesy and twirl while walking, and then a conversation sitting on the ground. And then, because that wasn't cool enough, Belle came over to chat too. She was in heaven. I have no idea how to post photos on here, otherwise I would!

We met Tiana two other times on that cruise and she was just superb. I wound up e-mailing DCL about her awesome she was. And DD is still talking about it to this day, 7 months later.

Formal Night After Party - we were calling it a night and walking down the hallway, and along came Mickey, swooped up our little girl and danced her down the hallway. It happened so fast, I could only get this blurry image!

IMG_2325.JPG

Continuing with the theme, there was one instance when with just our 3 year old granddaughter, we were walking up the aft stairs and all alone coming down the stairs was Princess Ariel. That was a magical moment. There was no one else around. Our own private meet and greet.
image.jpeg

We had two on our recent Med cruise.

The first wasn't even my family, we were walking through Shutters and saw Chip and Dale playing with a toddler. It looked like they were on their way to a scheduled photo op and just ran into her. They were flopping on the floor and rubbing noses with her, it was really precious. Just as they were getting up to go on with their handler, Sorcerer Mickey struts out from Animators Palette and heads for the door Chip and Dale must have come out of. The girl squealed "Mickey!" and he blew her a kiss, it was awesome and just highlighted the kind of random interactions that just don''t happen in the parks anymore.

The second was with my 12 year old daughter. She adores Belle, went to BBB with her own money to get made up like her, and then we were able to meet her at the farewell to friends or whatever the last night character blitz was called. When she got up there she actually had a 2-3 minute talk with Belle about her dress and whatnot. It was quite a magical moment that my DD wasn't quite a teenager yet and still had some magical childhood holding on. Made me cry.

My fellow CM has a thread going about Magical Moments. Since I'm in the Entertainment Department, let's also share special interactions you have had or seen with the Characters. I can't wait to hear your stories!

On which ship or ships have you been part of the Entertainment Team? And is there any character in particular that you are very good friends with?
As for our character interactions, all or our cruises have included at least one that would be magical, but our most recent was onboard Disney Magic for the 12-night British Isles cruise in June when Princess Merida was walking alone in Shutters and she stopped us to talk with our family for almost ten minutes about our cruise and visiting her homeland of Scotland. She and our daughter practiced their fierce warrior poses together before she headed through a cast members only door.

We have had so many special interactions on our Disney Cruises. I love that the characters freely walk around the ship and interact with the passengers (like WDW used to be). We have ridden in the elevator with Goofy and Stitch, had a private book reading with Alice in Wonderland, had Tiana tell a story and dance with only 3 kiddos in the club....but I think my favorite was from our first cruise. DD was scared of the characters and I really wanted to get a snap of her alone with one of them..the handlers/photographers were all aware of my plight and one of the photographers snapped DD mid-air in her pirate costume high-fiving Minnie Mouse. It will remain one of my favorite pictures forever.

We really loved just seeing the characters walking around at 'unscheduled' times. It was such a surprise and a joy to see them!

We saw Hook being walked to a cast member door when he stopped in Vista Gallery in front of a picture of Peter Pan, he was angrily gesturing at it, as 'he' was not in the picture. There were only a few people who watched this interaction. It was hilarious, and something we will be talking about for a long time!

We also saw Ariel multiple times, just wandering around the ship. DD12 got a hug from her on our first day, and both girls got pics with her on a different day. (Ariel is DD16's favorite princess.)

Another joy was just seeing Goofy walking around in his pajamas when we got out of the show one night.

I am so glad they have these types of interactions!

Several years ago, we ran into Aladdin in the hallway. He taught my daughter "Jasmine's special pose". She's outgrown princess phase now, but she'll always think that was a special treat.

We specifically booked our first and only DCL cruise as the 2015 WBPC. It was AMAZING for character interactions, which is what I had read online and why we chose this cruise. All of these interactions are from that one cruise.

One morning, early on a port day. We ran in to a very sleepy Goofy, still in his PJs on the grand staircase. We visited with him for a few minutes.

Another time, Pluto came out at sunset to deck 4 as we were taking family pictures before dinner and our 4 year old challenged him to a race...and as I was stepping in to say no, he cleared me out of the way, sent his helper friend to the finish line, and on all 4's Pluto had a full on race with DD!!! It was precious!!

Late one evening (11pm?), DD was coming back from the kids club with her dad and she had a little book with her. Tianna sat down on the floor, spread out her dress and had DD sit on her lap and she read the entire story to her and then told her to have sweet dreams.

Another time, in the afternoon, Rapunzel was in the atrium and DD asked her where Pascal was...well, that darn little guy went missing again and hand in hand, they walked all over looking for him and asking other cast members. This was a good 15 minute one on one interaction and I have it on video.

Another day, Rapunzel was in the atrium and DD and 3 other little girls played ring around the rosies with her.

Peter Pan and DD went on a hunt for Tinkerbell one evening during 2nd seating.

DD was chosen to perform on stage in the magic show as well as in the "Frozen" day show...to weave the Maypole.

She danced with Pirate Mickey at the Pirate Night Party. She danced one on one with Prince Charming at the Princess Tea and with the 101 Dalmatians the last night.

Different characters also sent notes and gifts to our stateroom throughout the week for her. Those were for being "Family of the Day", so we got special sheets and treats, she got a note from Mickey delivered to our SR for attending Mousekateer Training, and an invitation to a special Princess Tea from Ariel. She also got... maybe a friendship award? from one of the princesses...and a few notes from the kids club staff too.

This is in addition to just running in to characters out and about or at the planned M&Gs and giving hugs and kisses and waves. All of the talking characters knew DDs name within a few days (she always had a dress/shirt with her name embroidered on it the first few days) which was super special. We came home with over 5,000 personal pictures and 425 Shutters Photos. It was a magical cruise. We had a lot of challenges on this cruise with service, but the characters made up for it! I HIGHLY recommend the longer cruises for character interaction. Our particular cruise had just under 200 (under 18) youth on board. It was phenomenal.

DS was 8 and Chip and Dale got on the elevator with us. They kept rubbing his head and playing tricks on him. We didn't even get off on our floor because he had so much fun.

On which ship or ships have you been part of the Entertainment Team? And is there any character in particular that you are very good friends with?

Over my time with DCL I have been mostly on the Magic and the Wonder. I have been friends with Cinderella, Anna, Rapunzel, Chip, Dale, Pluto and Dug.

your friend Cinderella is just so beautiful! I ran into her in the Oceaneers Club and was so excited to get a hug haha. Working with the characters is why I love my job so much!

@DCLPrincess30, when were you on Disney Wonder and Disney Magic? We were on Disney Wonder in June of 2013 for Alaska, and on Disney Magic in June of 2014 for 12-night Med, June of 2015 for Northern Europe, and June of 2016 for 12-night British Isles.

Last edited:
@DCLPrincess30, when were you on Disney Wonder and Disney Magic? We were on Disney Wonder in June of 2013 for Alaska, and on Disney Magic in June of 2014 for 12-night Med, June of 2015 for Northern Europe, and June of 2016 for 12-night British Isles.

I would say you have definitely met some of my friends! Do you have any pics?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter