• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic ruined my plan! (Mini review)

pyramid2000

<font color=blue>Member of the DD Geek invasion of
We recently went on a 4 night Magic cruise (1/13/14). My plan was for this to be the last one for some time for various reasons...

*DH wants to do something new (hey, a different line would be new, right?) and didn't cruise with us this time around.

*We have done all 4 ships and the "new" Magic.

*DDs and I are all platinum (2 for this cruise, 2 after this cruise).

*One DD is an adult now and the other two haven't taken part in the Club/Edge/Vibe lately.

*Various changes with DCL policies.

I have shown the girls other ships and they have shown interest in them, but something happened...I instantly fell back in love with the Magic. We hadn't sailed her since 2008 on the EBPC!

The girls loved everything about this last cruise and already have a strong bug to go back ASP! :rolleyes:

The Magic did what it is supposed to do: sucked us right back in.

My oldest wished she was young enough to go back to the club. The changes they made are pretty awesome. They are bright and airy and look like lots of fun.

DD 15 gave a real go in the Vibe and DD 10 (week shy of 11) got to go to the Edge and I hardly saw either of them. DD 10 flew through dinner every night and didn't want to come back when we had a cake for her b-day, though she did. DD 15 misses the counselors and her new friends something fierce!

I loved the color scheme and layout of Fathoms and the rest of the adult clubs. So much more room! Animators was great. We were also there for Pirate Night and the screens rotated various pirate themed pictured through dinner.

DD 10 went on the AquaDunk 37 times in 2 days (Our sea day was windy and cold so no go the last day.) DD 15 tried it once to say she did it..

DD 19 and I didn't have quite as much fun as we did on the Fantasy, but I attribute that to the length of the cruise and the entertainment onboard the Fantasy. It was just special as it was her first cruise as an adult and we had lots of fun. On the last night DD was taken by surprise though. While at the Til we meet again, she saw someone familiar (a guest) so she went up to him to inquire. He said, "Of course, I know you, you were on the Fantasy last year with me!" He was Anthony from the cruise staff we had had so much fun with.

The CMs on the Magic are a great bunch of people. It seemed many of them have been with DCL and the Magic for 6 or more years and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I heard time and time again how they were a tight family.

We had Fitz as a head server (he was the only one I found to have not tried the AquaDunk:upsidedow) so it was nice to see a familiar face, and we loved our server and assistant as well as stateroom host. They took our early cue that we don't need to be overly doted on and were very relaxed. We also had some awesome tablemates.:thumbsup2

So now my plan is ruined. They have been bugging me from the moment we stepped off the ship about going back and are mad I didn't re-book on-board. :rolleyes1 I guess time will tell...

It sounds like you had a Wonderful vacation......it made me smile to read your post and your genuine affection for the Magic and its crew. Thanks for sharing and hope your next cruise is just as memorable.

I love the classics too. Looking forward to sailing the Southern Caribbean on the Magic this Sept. 20th There is something about her that is just the right size. I always will remember the CMs from there with special fondness. It seems like you are able to form such a personal bond when there are only 2000 or so on the ship.:cool1::cool1:I've thought it was because when I've traveled on the Dream it was for only 4 days but I really think it's the size. :)

We too love the Magic and your post made me smile and remember the old Magic. We are going on the new Magic this summer and we can't wait! Thanks for the memories!
Elizabeth

. While at the Til we meet again, she saw someone familiar (a guest) so she went up to him to inquire. He said, "Of course, I know you, you were on the Fantasy last year with me!" He was Anthony from the cruise staff we had had so much fun with...

We love Anthony. That's so funny you ran into him as a guest on the Magic. We saw him in October on the Fantasy and he mentioned he was hoping to transfer to the Magic after his vacation at the beginning of the year. Did you happen to ask him when and what ship he's coming back to? We're hoping to see him on the Magic in June.

I absolutely adore the Magic. It is so awesome that you see the same CMs on cruise after cruise; my family has become very close with numerous people, and as a result, the Magic is like our home away from home.

thanks for the review. we will on the magic in 11 days and we are getting more excited. i was a little nervous last year b/c of the bad reviews but it looks like they've worked out the kinks

Watched 'our' ship on DestAm this week and love to hear reports like this. We are very close to 100 days from sailing her! My husband keeps saying "I don't think we will do another DCL next year, we probably won't do any cruises." I wonder if he will change his mind too when we get on board! We do so LOVE our rewards cards and if we don't have cruises or WDW planned, I'm not sure what the point of using them would be...but I still really want to get on the Fantasy...but I'm REALLY excited for our 4 day Magic!

We love Anthony. That's so funny you ran into him as a guest on the Magic. We saw him in October on the Fantasy and he mentioned he was hoping to transfer to the Magic after his vacation at the beginning of the year. Did you happen to ask him when and what ship he's coming back to? We're hoping to see him on the Magic in June.

Anthony is awesome! I was so bummed that I missed seeing him! He had such love for Disney and was so genuinely happy to be working on the Fantasy. She only spoke with him for a moment, but I believe he was going back to the Fantasy. I will ask DD next time I speak with her.:goodvibes

Something I forgot to mention were the other guests onboard. They all seemed happier and more excited than the ones on the bigger ships. I don't know what it was, but I talked to many people and saw them over and over again. I didn't notice anyone being rude or upset. We would see our tablemates roaming the ship at various time. The funny thing was a couple my DD met while playing a trivia game. We teamed up with them and had lots of fun. We then sat with them at the CC reception and found out we both had ressies to Palo brunch. My DD commented it would be funny if we saw them there and we were sat right next to them! :wave2: We ran into them a few more times that day also. It was just a wonderful trip with a lot of wonderful people!

Oh, and Jimmy, the cruise director had his family and extended family onboard. It was fun seeing him out of uniform on CC and having fun!

We were on the same cruise and I agree with everything you said! I had always planned on booking another cruised, but my husband just kept saying "wait and see". Well, not only was he excited about booking another one, he came home and immediately switched his credit card to a Disney Visa so we can earn more points and go more often! :rotfl: Our next cruise is on the Dream next April. Same itinerary, but different ship. I am a little nervous about being on the "big" ship but really want to try them all!

And BTW - I did the Aquadunk twice - LOVED it!

We have only cruised the Dream and we thought it was exceptional!

You will love your Visa! We have both. We opened up the free one in March because it had no interest financing and we could join our parents on their anniversary DCL. Our first month posted $40 Disney dollars! We were hooked from then on. Bye bye crappy Venture Capital! Never got us not one flight!!! We couldn't rebook onboard but we got a 10% off voucher anyway (thank goodness!) And by the time we booked (including our perk of a $50 gift card), our deposit only cost $22 pp!

So we put everything on it including ridiculous power bill etc. At 1%, I earned $4.17 this month alone thanks to that sucker! (Single digits this week again looks like we will have another big power bill.) Anyway I decided to look into the Premier one for 2% on dis, gas, groceries and restaurants (1% all else) but it has an annual fee $49. But so did our venture! We paid that puppy off and closed it. Talked to my honey and if I opened up MY OWN premier acct in MY name (all others were in his and not establishing my credit history) I could get a $200 gift card for opening it! So he said good idea, let's get you your own. So I got approved for a smaller amount (which is fine, I want revolving, not debt) and got my $200 card and have posted $50 in rewards every month that we have had it!

So at this point, we are well over $600 from having these two cards. (Hoping for $650 at the beginning of Feb when I go to PIF.) By that time, having the first card about a yr and the second about five months, we will have paid off half our cruise! And we get some rewards for booking the cruise that will go towards he WDW tickets and more gas etc that I will order in April. (Tickets can also qualify for no interest for 6 months!) At $300 pp, we will be closer to Carnival rates for DCL!

I really do enjoy my cards. I pick the designs carefully so my honey loves to take it out and use it as much as I do. We got Nemo and Squirt for the non and Cars McQueen for the premier. Super cute!

My Honey says we may not rebook another DCL but we shall see! Otherwise there isn't much point racking up all these rewards another yr on these cards if you don't go to WDW or another Cruise. I really really am hoping for NO LA! Or maybe a heck of a GT deal on Fantasy in 2015. We shall see!

Sorry to hi jack! I love my Visas tho! You always get perks for having them too (like a dedicated meet and greet in the parks or various discounts or exclusive deals.)

Thanks for such an AWESOME review! We will be trying out the Magic for the first time on Monday and can't wait to introduce our kids to one of the smaller ships. They loved the Dream in Nov 2012 and I'm hoping they will also love the Magic.

I am wondering if Jimmy is the same cruise director we had on the Wonder for our cruise back in Sept/Oct out of Galveston? Or are there TWO Jimmy the cruise directors on the Disney ships? I can't wait to find out.

Glad to hear your kids loved the Edge. I am trying DESPERATELY to convince my daughter to try out the kids clubs so the adults can participate in just a few adult activities but she is really not happy about it. She did the younger kids club on the Dream in Nov 2012 and I practically had to pry her off me to leave her there even for a short dinner period. She wasn't happy. This time she is excited that she can join her older (13yo) brother in Edge AND can check herself in and out as she wishes to do so. I am REALLY hoping that she loves it and bonds with some people there too. She is just really clingy to us overall and would rather hang with the adults, which I think is CRAZY!!! :confused3

Thanks for such an AWESOME review! We will be trying out the Magic for the first time on Monday and can't wait to introduce our kids to one of the smaller ships. They loved the Dream in Nov 2012 and I'm hoping they will also love the Magic.

I am wondering if Jimmy is the same cruise director we had on the Wonder for our cruise back in Sept/Oct out of Galveston? Or are there TWO Jimmy the cruise directors on the Disney ships? I can't wait to find out.

Glad to hear your kids loved the Edge. I am trying DESPERATELY to convince my daughter to try out the kids clubs so the adults can participate in just a few adult activities but she is really not happy about it. She did the younger kids club on the Dream in Nov 2012 and I practically had to pry her off me to leave her there even for a short dinner period. She wasn't happy. This time she is excited that she can join her older (13yo) brother in Edge AND can check herself in and out as she wishes to do so. I am REALLY hoping that she loves it and bonds with some people there too. She is just really clingy to us overall and would rather hang with the adults, which I think is CRAZY!!! :confused3

It is the same Jimmy who was on the Wonder previously. We had a blast with him on the EBPC cruise and I was so happy to see him on the Magic; he is my favorite cruise director!

My Honey says we may not rebook another DCL but we shall see! Otherwise there isn't much point racking up all these rewards another yr on these cards if you don't go to WDW or another Cruise. I really really am hoping for NO LA! Or maybe a heck of a GT deal on Fantasy in 2015. We shall see! ....

With your Premier Card you can use the points to pay for any airfare that you have charged to that card. I feel this is the best use of the points since I still earn the 1% for the airfare and earn the double points for my DCL cruise and onboard account. (another way to look at this is if you use your rewards points on DCL - or other Disney - you loose out on earning the double points, which helps "pay" for the annual fee - and still come out ahead of the free card).

With your Premier Card you can use the points to pay for any airfare that you have charged to that card. I feel this is the best use of the points since I still earn the 1% for the airfare and earn the double points for my DCL cruise and onboard account. (another way to look at this is if you use your rewards points on DCL - or other Disney - you loose out on earning the double points, which helps "pay" for the annual fee - and still come out ahead of the free card).

Trying to keep up with this. I momentarily forgot this morning that yes, we can redeem the premier points for airfare, however, we bought airfare in October on non-premier, but then I just bought airfare for Twinkie on non premier too, but are you saying I could have doubled my points if I had put her airfare on my premier? Or is it only the other way around?

Okokok I got it. This is chicken or the egg. You say: buy all your DCL stuff and use their 2% rewards and then get your airfare taken care of.

Ours is the opposite. For one, I didn't have the premier when we bought our airfare at the time (so that wouldn't have been an option). Two, frankly, i'm trying to figure out if I should pay 100% of the Disney Cruise and put it on the financing 6 months and than take the 2% points and all the rewards and place them on the DIS TIX we plan to buy. (Basically we have $650ish rewards/gift cards to apply at this point. Should I get my cruise down to next to nothing with them, take 2% of the approx $500 I owe on the cruise towards the tickets, but then essentially have less debt? Or should I pay the $1056 of the cruise (adding tips to it) and the 2% of it which is $21?)

At this point, I'm still thinking less debt is better. So throw all my rewards at the Disney cruise and get it down as low as I can get it. Than take the $10 and any rewards I get between now and April and throw them at the tickets and see if I can take $100 off of them. Then the tickets go on the 6 months no finance fees as well. And then my debt should be about $500 + 517 or 391 depending on if we hop or not and I can't make my mind up about the hopping either!!!!

*sigh*

I have a lot to decide! LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter