• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"MAGIC" Room or Resort Upgrades

I think upgrades are rare and that's why people come to post them when they do happen. I know after 9/11 and after the crash of 2008, upgrades were much more common for obvious reasons.We have been to Disney well over 50 times and almost always do split stays so we have probably checked into a Disney resort over 100 times! We have never gotten an upgrade. I would say my very simple room requests (and I make sure to only make ONE, like section of resort), are met about 50% of the time. I think I'm being a bit generous here. We usually check in to the resort late morning and during the week so it's not like we are checking in on a Saturday at 9 PM when you would expect less room availability. I am always just happy to have my request met as resort time is very important to us. I think it's great that people get upgraded, but besides being respectful and friendly I don't think you can do too much to increase your chances.

I cant remember which trip it was, but we were doing a split stay between AKL and WL. Both were booked at standard rooms (thought we were doing good just to stay there, as we normally stay at POP). When we got to WL, they asked us if the 14th floor was ok (I think that was it)......."we said yeah sure". Got in the elevator and wondered why it wouldnt go. Finally a young man used his card to go up to the same floor. We finally realized it was the concierge floor. My husband was like "How did you manage this" When the phone rang when we got to the room welcoming us, he just knew they were calling to tell us we were in the wrong room. Great memories!

I cant remember which trip it was, but we were doing a split stay between AKL and WL. Both were booked at standard rooms (thought we were doing good just to stay there, as we normally stay at POP). When we got to WL, they asked us if the 14th floor was ok (I think that was it)......."we said yeah sure". Got in the elevator and wondered why it wouldnt go. Finally a young man used his card to go up to the same floor. We finally realized it was the concierge floor. My husband was like "How did you manage this" When the phone rang when we got to the room welcoming us, he just knew they were calling to tell us we were in the wrong room. Great memories!

Great story! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks jstbcuz for your input!

The last time we went to Disney, about 10 years ago, we got upgraded. We were very very late arriving, because our plane was delayed. We didn't arrive at the hotel until after midnight. When we got there they apologized and said they had overbooked and were moving us to the Yacht Club! I had never been happier! Not sure if things like this happen often, but we had a great time at a resort we would never have been able to afford otherwise.

The last time we went to Disney, about 10 years ago, we got upgraded. We were very very late arriving, because our plane was delayed. We didn't arrive at the hotel until after midnight. When we got there they apologized and said they had overbooked and were moving us to the Yacht Club! I had never been happier! Not sure if things like this happen often, but we had a great time at a resort we would never have been able to afford otherwise.

Awesome. That's what I'm talking about!

To be honest MistySue... .as long as I have waited to finally get back to Disney.... Indeed I too will be happy to get what I asked for. Miss Disney something awful.

That is how we always feel too. My tolerance for stuff that can go wrong is pretty high when it comes to Disney.

We were just d picked family of the day AKL we went from a one bedroom to the grand villa upgrade but only for two nights. We had 3 nites booked. SWEET.

Years ago we were upgraded from All Star Music to a 1 BR at OKW. They knew they were short of rooms, so we got an email to call in for the upgrade about a month before our trip. It was an amazing bit of pixie dust!

Honestly. Book what you want. If you want a certain resort or room, book that room. If you want the dinning plan book it. This is how you get these things.

In 6 on-site stays:

2004 CBR - No magical upgrade
2005 CBR - No Magical upgrade
2005 CSR - No Magical upgrade
2006 POP - No Magical upgrade
2012 POFQ - No Magical upgrade and none of my requests granted
2013 CBR - No Magical upgrade and 1 of my 3 requests granted

Having said that, with the exception of POFQ, I did get the location and/or view that I reserved and paid for so I was happy.

I had a 1 night stay booked in a standard room at Disneyland hotel. Since many but not all standard rooms come with a daybed I asked nicely if it would be possible to get a room that had one. The lady said to hold on and came back and told me if I didn't mind my room would have a king bed in 1 room and a living room with a sofa bed and they would put cot in the bedroom. Then she handed me a certificate that said Magic Family of the Day. We figured the room was reserved most of the time but had a 1 night opening.

Another time at All Star Sports I had a standard room. My friend who was traveling with us and we had our reservations lined arrived before us and since the front desk had trouble bringing up her reservation they upgraded her room and my room to preferred without us even being there.

I had a 1 night stay booked in a standard room at Disneyland hotel. Since many but not all standard rooms come with a daybed I asked nicely if it would be possible to get a room that had one. The lady said to hold on and came back and told me if I didn't mind my room would have a king bed in 1 room and a living room with a sofa bed and they would put cot in the bedroom. Then she handed me a certificate that said Magic Family of the Day. We figured the room was reserved most of the time but had a 1 night opening.

Another time at All Star Sports I had a standard room. My friend who was traveling with us and we had our reservations lined arrived before us and since the front desk had trouble bringing up her reservation they upgraded her room and my room to preferred without us even being there.

Nice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter