Magic of Animation

Disneyvirg

Mouseketeer
We're interested in taking our girls to the Magic of Animation at DHS with the main intent being the drawing class. Can we go directly to the drawing class? Would the rest of the attraction be interesting to a 7 and 11 year old? If they enjoy the class, can we turn around and attend another class? Is it the same character class after class? Any tips or tricks?

TIA!

We're interested in taking our girls to the Magic of Animation at DHS with the main intent being the drawing class. Can we go directly to the drawing class? Would the rest of the attraction be interesting to a 7 and 11 year old? If they enjoy the class, can we turn around and attend another class? Is it the same character class after class? Any tips or tricks? TIA!

You can go directly to line up for the class. Your whole party needs to wait in the waiting area and once you are in the class, the animator/instructor will decide on the character. If your family wants to take the class again, after exiting you'll need to return to the line.

It's very cool, my DD16 and I tried it in October and loved it! Hard part was carrying the drawings around the park all day without getting them damaged. We didn't care for the character (some platypus in a hat, can't remember his name) but still really enjoyed it.

I am not sure about attending first thing but when we were there, the CMs said that in the evening after the characters aren't in the building the classes are a little easier to get into. Sure enough later that night like 6:30 we were able to get into two classes. They don't tell you what character you are going to draw. The classes are quick. The person leading the class stated that we could join the next class if availability was there but that you had to exit the room and enter the line/queue again.

Yes, you can go right back in to the next class as long as there is room but as PP have said, you need to exit the "classroom" and go back into the waiting area. And you don't have to watch the film, you can just go to the drawing class waiting area. We've had luck getting in early in the morning, midday, late evening - just depends. On our last 2 trips we've done the class a total of 13 times :goodvibes DS's 11 and 8 love it! We've only done one character twice. Sometimes the animator will pick the character and sometimes he/she will suggest 3 or 4 characters and then have the participants vote, based on who has drawn which of those characters before.
I love the empty paper towel roll idea - going to do that for our next trip! We usually ask for a rubber band in the store at the exit of the class. Enjoy!

The drawing class is one of my favorite things - when I lived in Orlando and had an annual pass I would often stop by the studios to draw another character.

You only need to wait in the "waiting area" for the class - seems to be every 20 or 30 minutes - the animator sometimes will ask who has drawn what before and choose a character people want to draw or sometimes they will just have one already selected. The animators change out - though I don't know their schedule but they are usually happy to answer questions and chat and I imagine would tell you what they are drawing the next session. :)

Also pretty sure we've been told that the same character won't be drawn more than once a day. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone can correct me.

We go in through the gift shop rather than the film entrance. There's a little hallway at the back of the gift shop that connects right to where the drawing class is.

We got to draw Olaf from Frozen last time - dd was very excited :). Then she answered the Frozen trivia question and got the animator's drawing too!

Have done this a couple of times and it is really fun. I can't draw for anything, but following along I actually have a drawing that is a pretty decent carl from up. I much prefer the class at the studios to the one at Disney quest as it is real pencil and paper at the studios vs. electronic at the quest. Much easier to control what you are doing imho with a real pencil!

My DW and I did this for the first time on our last trip last year. The drawing class has to be one of my favorite hidden gems at WDW.

Something to be aware off too is the pencils they give you don't have erasers.
My DD went when she was 10yr and was very upset she couldn't erase her mistakes. The instructor informed us of this in the beginning and told us to draw light. Just a little FYI so maybe you can "sneak in an eraser" ;)

My daughter liked the Disney Quest one we did the next day and felt much better about that one because you could "erase" it on the computer.

I do like the pencil and paper one better. Those ones you can take home free. The Disney Quest ones you have to buy. Either way we will definitely be doing this at DHS on our next trip.

Hope this helps. Have fun.

Depends on when you arrive in regards to the last class starting. Could be as quick as 5 minutes plus another 20 for drawing, could be a total of 40 if you just missed it or have to wait due to long lines.

Thank you all for the great info!

Is there anything in the portion prior to the drawing class that my girls would really enjoy - or is it pretty skippable (if that's a word) for their ages?

There are activities in that building. You enter and see tv screens that you can program to different scenes and voices and such. You can also get some autographs, too. Then, if you'd like, when you see people walking to the upstairs follow them up to the drawing room. It's pretty fun, unless the girls don't like to....not have a spectacular drawing. The first time, my daughter,7 year old, got all grumpy. The next time, at 9, she was fine. The artist will so,ermines give the drawing out to a member of the audience. Sometimes they ask a trivia question. Sometimes you just have to ask.

Thank you all for the great info! Is there anything in the portion prior to the drawing class that my girls would really enjoy - or is it pretty skippable (if that's a word) for their ages?

There are a lot of meet and greets going on. We waved at Mr. Incredible and Frozone when they made there way to their spots.

There are also displays of animators' offices so you can see what animators used to do before computer graphics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter