• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic - Med Cruise August - waters choppy - 10/5 further question

eeyorefanuk

DIS Veteran
DH has said that it will be very calm ............. have googled it and it says still can get very rough and choppy - any advices??

I take Meclizine (the main ingredient in Bonine) every day on a cruise, whether the seas are calm or rough. It helps to prevent motion sickness.

I take Meclizine (the main ingredient in Bonine) every day on a cruise, whether the seas are calm or rough. It helps to prevent motion sickness.

Me too. I start the night before I leave. I get it from behind the pharmacy counter. 100 tabs for about $5. I bought my first bottle in 2008 and just used it on my 3rd cruise and it still doesn't expire until next year.

Does it make you sleepy? Bonine usually knocks me out (even the non drowsy!) I have had good luck with taking ginger pills for a week before departure and during. We had some rough water in Jan and neither DH or I was sick, but I still get worried that it was a fluke lol!

Does it make you sleepy? Bonine usually knocks me out (even the non drowsy!) I have had good luck with taking ginger pills for a week before departure and during. We had some rough water in Jan and neither DH or I was sick, but I still get worried that it was a fluke lol!

No, it doesn't make me sleepy. Both Bonine and the non-drowsy version of Dramamine have the same ingredient - Meclizine. Whilte it isn't supposed to make you sleepy, it does have that effect on some people.

DH has said that it will be very calm ............. have googled it and it says still can get very rough and choppy - any advices??

I'm not sure what it's like in August. I went on Voyager of the Seas to the western Med in Oct 08 and it wasn't too bad, except for our last sea day. We were sailing from Palermo back up to Barcelona and they warned us in the cruise newsletter the night before that waters going in that direction that time of year were rough. I had Ginger and Bonine with me, which helped a lot!

Thank you all for your comments ..... my main concern is that I have never been on a cruise before and am worried how I will feel if the sea is bad and the waves are huge/cannot go outside etc. I know it sounds extreme but worried about this - do you reckon if the sea is bad hopefully it will only be for one day ish?? Really want to try the disney cruise but this is what is worrying me :guilty::guilty:

Thank you all for your comments ..... my main concern is that I have never been on a cruise before and am worried how I will feel if the sea is bad and the waves are huge/cannot go outside etc. I know it sounds extreme but worried about this - do you reckon if the sea is bad hopefully it will only be for one day ish?? Really want to try the disney cruise but this is what is worrying me :guilty::guilty:

My DH and my DD8 took Dramamine. While my DD5 and I took the generic form because of allergies to certain ingredients in the dramamine. We took it the day before the cruise and throughout the cruise. It helped out alot. No-one had seasickness. I really recommend talking with your doctor and your pharmacist.

It helped us out alot.

Thanks for starting this thread as I have never sailed before but am often travel sick when travelling in a car, train or plane so your tips and helpful hints as been much appreciated :cheer2:

Just off to see if I can buy Bonine in the UK :thumbsup2

Thanks for starting this thread as I have never sailed before but am often travel sick when travelling in a car, train or plane so your tips and helpful hints as been much appreciated :cheer2:

Just off to see if I can buy Bonine in the UK :thumbsup2

I don't have any personal experience with this but I have heard that guest services have some "sea sick medicine" of some kind. I have also heard that they have a basket or something outside of the medical clinic. As I said, I never got any for myself but many people have said it is available for free onboard somewhere. I think it is better to take it before you get sick rather than have to try to play catch up after you're already sick. But at least there is something available...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter