Magic Kingdom - what crowds???

My family did a big family trip last year Christmas week- Dec 26- 31. Our first trip this time of year and we were nervous. It was great!!!! IF you plan. We got to the parks at 7am every day (and earlier b/c most opened at least 10-15 min early) and walked on rides for a couple of hours! It was amazing!!! Yes, dark most mornings- but soooo worth it! We have been several times on family trips- but this one was one of the most fun! We are considering a big family trip next Christmas too (the kids in the family are older- only time we can all go- but we absolutely will not hesitate to do Christmas week again) Christmas week was so magical! IF you plan. I can not imagine showing up without knowing the ins and outs though...... those people can't get anything done Christmas week. We rode everything we wanted to as much as we wanted to- literally the big rides 5-6 times a day.

The same thing happened to us this past July. Everyone warned me not to go the week of the 4th. It was busy....but not in the morning. We did everything multiple times without a wait. I will say by 11 it was so hot I wanted to die.....but we did lunch, went back and swam, and relaxed until evening and went out again at night. A plan definitely works! Glad you had a great time!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

:)

Glad to here all this. Surprising in-laws next year for x-mas in Florida and slipping in a few days before at disney with the kids(kids don't know yet!!! Dec 18-22). We have never been at x-mas time and can't wait to go. Have been reading all the x-mas tips and crowd levels coming back. We have been in March and it has always been a hit or miss. We have never not got on any rides and we use fastpass like crazy. Getting up early isn't a problem with us either. Also thinking of doing MVMCP to get the real effect of the x-mas theme.

Glad you figured out the "stop and smell the roses" approach! We have always been commando people, but only for the EMH mornings.

After a number of trips, we also discovered the more relaxed way to do WDW. Our epiphany came while waiting to watch the night time parade in MK. We snagged the big rocking chairs out front of the shop in Frontier Land. Hubby grabbed a couple of turkey legs and we just hung out. When the crowds started filling in we actually didn't care if folks stood in front of us - we still saw the higher floats, etc. Then after the parade, we headed to Peter Pan's flight, while everyone else headed for the exit. That was one of the best MK visits we ever had!

WOW - I missed Disboards! Haven't been on for a few years now (darn those college tuition bills), but miss WDW so much, I decided to check in and see what folks thought of all the new resorts/restaurants/attractions.

Mostly joking because the pics were taken yesterday, December 23, which was a "perfect storm" for the 7:00 am EMH at Magic Kingdom - coming off the night after the first non-ticketed MVMCP parade and 12:00 - 3:00 am EMH. These pictures were taken about 30 minutes after the morning EMH started and as you can imagine, every ride in the park (except some of the mountains and ETWB) were walk-on. It was our last day and second day at MK and by 9:00 we did everything we wanted (SM, Buzz, TM, PC, PP, JC, Mickey's PM some rides in NF.) For once, our family sat at a table on Mainstreet, enjoying coffee and breakfast as we watched the crowds swarm -although I don't know how or why, I actually enjoyed just sitting back for a change soaking up the atmosphere while enjoying the moment and not worrying about the next ride or fast pass. We have been to disney twice in the last few years and after this experience, next time, I think I will hang up the disney commando and stop and "smell the roses" more and just go with the flow.

Anyway, as for our trip, I was really worried about the crowds December 19 - 23. I was, however, very surprised and as always amazed as to how much you can do by getting to the parks early. We did HS, MK (2), and Epcot and were at rope drop for each one. With the exception of Soarin, TT, RR and TSM (which we were able to do more than once with FP) - for the first hour and a half, each ride was less than a 10 minutes wait. However, by 10:00 each day, you could really see crowds increasing along with ride wait times which seemed to double by the minute. Essentially, each day we were finished up with rides/attractions by 10:30 or 11:00 and would then grab lunch in the park and walk around after lunch for an hour or so before and catching our bus back to the resort. (speaking of which, CSR busses always amaze me - I don't know if it is luck, but we never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus).

After reading different opinions and posts about the crowd levels the few days before Christmas, I was really worried about our trip and almost to the point of reconsidering another time. I am glad I did not. For anyone considering this time and if you are like us and there are only a few times during the year you can plan a trip, I would highly recommend this time. It is not easy, but having a plan and getting to the parks early is the key. The atmosphere during this time, is like nothing I have ever experienced - disney is such an amazing place!!!

MagicKingdom3_zps7191c52e.jpg
[/IMG]

MamgicKingdom4_zps9fb9d72b.jpg
~That was a good one because you got me! But, I have read that crowds are lighter than they were last year. If that's true than I am shocked, I thought the New Fantasyland was going to lock MK down all day -- maybe for New Years Eve. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter