Magic Kingdom No Longer Dry Park Will Serve Wine Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason Walt didn't have alcohol at DL was the reputation of places like The Pier and other dirty amusement parks.That image was gone long ago along with those parks. In my opinion Walt would have opened it up decades ago. It just seems ridiculous that there are 'taverns' in MK, but no beer. I hope this changes, and soon.

Yeah...I'm trotting it out again (cause it makes me laugh).

images

The reason Walt didn't have alcohol at DL was the reputation of places like The Pier and other dirty amusement parks.That image was gone long ago along with those parks. In my opinion Walt would have opened it up decades ago. It just seems ridiculous that there are 'taverns' in MK, but no beer. I hope this changes, and soon.

And fairs, and carnivals. Even now, those traveling amusement venues can get kinda seedy, and most of the ones I've been to don't even sell alcohol. I'm glad someone finally pointed this out, it was a decision that, at the time, was probably necessary. It's no longer necessary.

It was never any trouble in the past for people who didn't want to go a day without a drink to get around the rule - take half an hour and pop over to the Poly or Contemporary, or bring in a discreet airline bottle, and you're all set.

However, not serving any within the park did set a certain tone that wasn't something you could find everywhere. It made it unusual and a little bit special.

Is it the end of the world? No, and nobody's saying it is.

Will I miss it, like I miss other traditions that have gone by the wayside? Certainly.

Don't laugh..they just did this in NYC. Well, not eliminated, but reduced. You can no longer buy a fountain drink over 16 ounces.

I was actually thinking about that when I added my "PS"!

Seems like a silly thing to legislate...

But anyway - if a ban on supersize pop is good enough for NYC, then surely it's good enough for the Magic Kingdom, right? ;) Doesn't Disney love children just as much as NY? How can I be expected to explain to my child that it's not okay to suck back more than 16 oz of pop at a single sitting, when she sees people drinking from massive cups all over the park! I hate to have my children witness that, and then have to see me pray for all the obese people all over the park.

:lmao:

I snipped the post to just address this part.

I've seen more than one comment on the various threads regarding this issue where people have clearly stated they NEED a drink to deal with their whiny kids, kids in general, crowds, rude people, etc.

If anyone, in any situation, NEEDS a drink for ANY reason (to have fun, cope, etc.), they have a problem.

I think those posts are more tongue-in-cheek than actually saying they *need* to drink. I always joke with my DH that I need a couple of shots of tequila after shopping at WalMart. Do I have them? Nope. Do I need drinks to deal with Disney? Nope. Do I like to have a couple while there? You bet!

How about VERY STRONGLY DESIRES a drink. Is that ok?

Only you know where your desire pushes into need.

And I'll stick to my point...if you (generalized you) NEED a drink to deal with going to Chuck E Cheese, WDW, or the family Christmas party, you (generalized you) have a problem. You (generalized you) have chosen a lousy coping method.

I find it laughable that anyone would be offended or upset over this.

I get alcohol isn't everyones thing, and to that I say: just don't get alcohol. Nobody is forcing it on anyone and it's not going to degrade the quality of the park any.

As for those who are sour over this because "it isn't what Walt wanted": I sure hope you never visit Epcot because that entire park isn't what Walt wanted. In fact Disney World as a whole is pretty far off from Walt's dream for it, so I hope you're at least consistant and feel the same sourness towards the resort as a whole (though somehow I doubt that.)

At the end of the day he's been dead almost 50 years. The company can hold true to the spirit of Walt but that doesn't mean they should be clinging to 50 year old policies.

He didn't want alcohol there because he wanted a wholesome environment that was antithetical to the dirty cliche of the town fair or carnival. Society has changed over the last half of the century and we can have theme parks that serve alcohol without looking like a dirty carnival.

I think those posts are more tongue-in-cheek than actually saying they *need* to drink. I always joke with my DH that I need a couple of shots of tequila after shopping at WalMart. Do I have them? Nope. Do I need drinks to deal with Disney? Nope. Do I like to have a couple while there? You bet!

Some of them may have been tongue-in-cheek but I've had too much personal experience with folks to believe that there aren't some who mean exactly that.

If anyone has chosen alcohol as their coping method, they have a problem.

Only you know where your desire pushes into need.

And I'll stick to my point...if you (generalized you) NEED a drink to deal with going to Chuck E Cheese, WDW, or the family Christmas party, you (generalized you) have a problem. You (generalized you) have chosen a lousy coping method.

At least it's my problem, and no business of yours.

:)

Anytime alcohol and MK are mentioned in the same breath, someone always trots out this old hack and it is SOOOO infuriating!!. And it is not even slightly relevant. Club 33 is a private club. It is not open to the park. Joe Schmo from Idaho can't just waltz in and order a brew. The public areas of Disneyland are dry.

And the reason I'm not happy about today's announcement is that I am quite sure that this is simply the thin edge of the wedge. Soon all of the TS restaurants will offer booze. Then the CS restaurants. Finally we'll see carts near some of the attractions.

So, it's OK if only the rich people can drink?

I find it laughable that anyone would be offended or upset over this.

I get alcohol isn't everyones thing, and to that I say: just don't get alcohol. Nobody is forcing it on anyone and it's not going to degrade the quality of the park any.

As for those who are sour over this because "it isn't what Walt wanted": I sure hope you never visit Epcot because that entire park isn't what Walt wanted. In fact Disney World as a whole is pretty far off from Walt's dream for it, so I hope you're at least consistant and feel the same sourness towards the resort as a whole (though somehow I doubt that.)

At the end of the day he's been dead almost 50 years. The company can hold true to the spirit of Walt but that doesn't mean they should be clinging to 50 year old policies.

He didn't want alcohol there because he wanted a wholesome environment that was antithetical to the dirty cliche of the town fair or carnival. Society has changed over the last half of the century and we can have theme parks that serve alcohol without looking like a dirty carnival.

This.

The only thing that infuriates me is the attitude that so many have that they should force their viewpoints on you. If you don't want a drink...*drumroll*....

Don't buy a drink. ;)

But if you had to choose what would it be, Mickey Bar or Beer? ;)

Definitely the Mickey Bar!

I might as well weigh in on this issue too.

I am not a fan of the MK serving alcohol. While I do not drink, my DH enjoys a beer (or more) once in a while and I do not judge others for drinking. If you want a drink with your meal or just something to help you relax on vacation, so long as you aren't acting stupid drunk around my children, all the power to you!

I have been one of the people who, on more than one occasion, has had to wind strollers through clusters of drunken college-age kids (and once adult men) in the World Showcase at EP. The clusters were obnoxious and were shouting things my preschoolers didn't need to hear. Is this our typical experience? No. Have I ever had this experience outside of EP? No. Has it stopped me from visiting? No. Will the serving of alcohol stop me from visiting the MK? No.

However, since this is where we spend much of our vacation, I like knowing that even late in the evening, I never have to concern myself with having one of those WS experiences. Walt designed it to bring out the child in all of us. It's a family park. Walt meant it to be that way and I wish it would stay that way.

And fairs, and carnivals. Even now, those traveling amusement venues can get kinda seedy, and most of the ones I've been to don't even sell alcohol. I'm glad someone finally pointed this out, it was a decision that, at the time, was probably necessary. It's no longer necessary.

And people need to remember that Walt dreamed this up at a time in our history that parents didn't go everywhere with their kids. -I know it is hard to fathom in this day and age of overprotective helicopter parents who won't even let their kids talk to people or go to the bathroom alone at 14, but they did.

Kids were often sent to the carnival or fair, or amusement park by themselves or with a group of friends. Walt envisioned a place that families would go together and adults would enjoy also. (so he could make more money)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter