• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Kingdom No Longer Dry Park Will Serve Wine Beer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walt was a heavy smoker. I wonder how he would feel about the segregation of smokers in all the parks. I bet he'd be fine with it even though he died of lung cancer because times change. If having a beer around you ruins your vacation you need therapy. No one is forcing you to drink.

In my 20 Plus trips I've never seen a person drunk.

The people ranting about "Tradition" know so little about park history that they don't know Disneyland had a Tobacco shop that was in the park while it was run by Walt himself. Tradition dictates that should be in the Magic Kingdom, no?

WoodenIndian57.jpg

I actually think it does. It clearly demonstrates Walt's ideals/concerns for keeping the park innocent.

There is no way for anyone to know what he would do. He isn't here and hasn't been in a long, long time. There is nobody on this board that knew the man so all anyone can do is speculate.

Just dinner.

But I'm curious. Which wine goes best with french fries?

A Cote Rotie or Chateauneuf du Pape if you are sticking strictly to reds. A rose' from Bandol would work nicely as well. Still, Belgian beer is never a bad choice with frites.

I've found a Burgundy goes well, and CdP is also a good choice. I've found that white wines and fries is not a tasty combination. Beer is always safe and probably why fries do so well in bars.

I'm disappointed. I really dislike going around the countries at EPCOT and all I can smell is alcohol. I HATE having my kids around drunkards! Or them having to witness that and me praying for it. Alcohol is the only drug in the U.S. that is legal & it kills innocent people.

Really? Are you forgetting tabacco? Caffeine? There are lots of other addictive drugs in the us which are lethal. Perhaps they're not innocent enough?

The people ranting about "Tradition" know so little about park history that they don't know Disneyland had a Tobacco shop that was in the park while it was run by Walt himself. Tradition dictates that should be in the Magic Kingdom, no?

WoodenIndian57.jpg

People used to smoke in the lines, in the lobbies of the hotels, just about everywhere. Maybe we should go back to the good old days?

Walt was an entrepreneur, a salesman and a very wealthy business owner. He not a saint and would have made the necessay changes to compete and make money and lots of it.

I actually think it does. It clearly demonstrates Walt's ideals/concerns for keeping the park innocent.

No, it demonstrates walt's reasons for creating the park in a certain way. It says nothing about keeping it the same way.

I'm VERY surprised but I really shouldn't be. I think that this was inevitable and likely will show up in more and more restaurants as time goes by.

There is no way for anyone to know what he would do. He isn't here and hasn't been in a long, long time. There is nobody on this board that knew the man so all anyone can do is speculate.

I know. He's long dead.

We are all speculating, however many of us are using context clues and the history of both parks to make our arguments. DL and MK are/were alcohol-free. Walt specifically meant DL to be that way. MK is speculation although it seems that it has been created in the alcohol-free image of DL. If alcohol was acceptable originally at the MK, why has it remained dry since the day it opened? Even as other parks allow it?

Walt was an entrepreneur, a salesman and a very wealthy business owner. He not a saint and would have made the necessay changes to compete and make money and lots of it.

Exactly! Walt was a keen and shrewd businessman doing whatever he had to do to make money. He went after the "family park" idea because it was a niche not being filled at that time in history. He did nothing out of the goodness of his heart!

No, I do not and that is my issue with this. Do you want to visit the MK, or some other theme park, because change is good but I think in time there will be alcohol sold everywhere with some over indulging. In the MK.

So it will be sold everywhere. It is sold everywhere in Epcot, AK, DHS and nothing happened. Is someone deeply traumatized because someone walks with a beer in those parks? So, what is the difference with MK? Live and let others live.

No, it demonstrates walt's reasons for creating the park in a certain way. It says nothing about keeping it the same way.

You're right. It says nothing about him wanting to keep it that way. BUT I do think that it says a lot that both parks remained alcohol-free. It's a nod to Walt's ideals of preserving the innocence of the MK. And that is what the posters are balking at. It was one thing that a guest at the MK could rely on. Yeah, your kid might get shoved by an idiot at a parade, but at least the idiot wasn't drunk!

Now, is that a gross exaggeration? Yes and I say it in jest, but I really do think that this change in policy is a big mistake. Beer at BOG is not going to turn the MK into Bourbon Street overnight. BUT. It is a step taken in the wrong direction because it demonstrates that the big boys are thinking less about ideals and perception, and more about their bottom line.

I have no problem with the sale or consumption of alcohol. I do think that there are some places that it is just not needed. I'm sure beer and wine will soon be more freely available in MK. That's probably not a good thing IMO. It makes the MK less charming and less the home of innocent fantasy. Oh well, I will still love the place.

I know. He's long dead.

We are all speculating, however many of us are using context clues and the history of both parks to make our arguments. DL and MK are/were alcohol-free. Walt specifically meant DL to be that way. MK is speculation although it seems that it has been created in the alcohol-free image of DL. If alcohol was acceptable originally at the MK, why has it remained dry since the day it opened? Even as other parks allow it?

If he had truly wanted DL to be dry, he wouldn't have created Club 33. You can't ignore it simply because it is a private club. It is a club that was Walt Disney's idea and it has always served alcohol.

You are not looking (or smelling) close enough.

lol I'm sorry I know you said this to make a point, but I just got an image of an old lady in her nightgown with glasses that has that string to hold around her neck, and badly applied red lipstick approaching a random guy, sniffing in deeply and saying in a nasally voice 'have you been drinking young man?' :rotfl2:

Sorry, I do understand what the naysayers are saying but I'm in 'let's see what happens' camp. I think some people are overreacting just a bit and I also think that no one can say what Walt would or wouldn't believe in if he were alive today. People's opinions change especially as they get older. Yes, he was against drinking in DL back when he was alive to say so but who are any of us to say that he would hold that same opinion today? Think back to even just 5 years ago, there's probably at least one opinion that you held then that you no longer feel is true. (and I bet there's probably going to be at least one person that'll reply saying 'i feel today the same way I've felt about these things for the last 25 years' let me say now, I don't believe you. Sorry.)
Anyway, I couldn't care less if drinking was allowed or not. I drink a little bit but it's not something that I absolutely have to do in order to enjoy myself. I don't think that we haven't gotten to any kind of a point where we can say 'oh well now alcohol vendors will be in all corners of the park, it starts here' let's just wait and see what becomes of this. It's just too early to tell, they just announced it today for goodness sake!

We are ignoring the fact that people have been sneaking alcohol into MK for as long as the park has been open.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hannathy said:
! Walt was a keen and shrewd businessman doing whatever he had to do to make money. He went after the "family park" idea because it was a niche not being filled at that time in history. He did nothing out of the goodness of his heart!

Oh I disagree! He was very creative and smart and had he needed money very badly he would have figured out à way to earn it as he did so many times before. No need to go against what he thought was right for à particular business venture. The family park idea was what he wanted for his own family as well as others so yes, goodness of heart right there.

. BUT. It is a step taken in the wrong direction because it demonstrates that the big boys are thinking less about ideals and perception, and more about their bottom line.

Ahhh that ship sailed long ago when they took a couple cheap pre-built carnival rides and slapped a little Disney paint on them and called them new ie-Aladdin's carpets and Triceratop Spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter