Magic kingdom new years

perdy1234

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of going early to Disney so we can take in nye at the park at what time of day does magic kingdom close due to capacity do they reopen it up as the day goes on or how does that usually work as we won't be arriving in Orlando till that afternoon thanks

We are thinking of going early to Disney so we can take in nye at the park

1- at what time of day does magic kingdom close due to capacity

2- do they reopen it up as the day goes on or

3- how does that usually work as we won't be arriving in Orlando till that afternoon thanks

1- As early as 11AM.

2- Only if enough guest leave the park.

3- You may be out of luck or you may be OK.
No possible way to know, as each year is different.

Since NYE is more of a night-time holiday, I wouldn't necessarily count on it reopening once closed.

If you get there too late to get into MK, you can always head to Epcot.

I have been there and it closed in the morning, reopens during the afternoon and then closed again in the evening ( firework crowd)

We spend NYE in WDW this past year. The MK did the NYE festivities on the
30th as well as the 31st. We spent the entire day of the 30th in the MK. Had dining reservations for lunch and dinner so we could get a break from the crowds. Camped out in front of the Castle with the DJ after dinner and just enjoyed our surroundings. It was great.

We then spent NYE in EPCOT. I have to say the special fireworks were the most amazing I have ever seen. EPCOT handles the crowds a bit better but by dinner time, it was packed. Again we had a PS for dinner, enjoyed our meal and then stacked our spot for the fireworks. We met some great people in the area we were in. Took turns getting snacks & beverages.

We had a great time!

It does close down pretty early that day. However if you are getting there in the afternoon, I would say that you might have your best luck following the afternoon parade. There is usually a decent number of people heading out of the park at that time. Don't wait too long though because everyone is going to try to get there before it gets dark. Have fun!! The fireworks are amazing!!

We were there this past year, closed at 10am. I made reservations that night for dinner at Citricos at 930pm. So that got us access to the Grand Floridian. After dinner, we walked out on the dock and had an amazing view of the fireworks from across the lagoon.

We were there this past year, closed at 10am. I made reservations that night for dinner at Citricos at 930pm. So that got us access to the Grand Floridian. After dinner, we walked out on the dock and had an amazing view of the fireworks from across the lagoon.

Just to be clear-
You don't need to have a reservation to visit the Grand Floridian (or any of the resorts) or to view the fireworks from there.

During very busy times, you might not be able to easily park your car at the MK area resorts without a reservation.

We have spent quite a few NYE in Epcot. I know there they do IllumiNations twice at around 7:30pm and then again midnight. After the earlier fireworks the park did clear out a bit. I am pretty sure the MK also does two sets of fireworks. If you cannot get into the park you might want to try after the first set of fireworks.

Linda

We've done NTW at MK. Arrive at opening time and get a locker. Keep your sweatshirts, jackets etc for evening there until you need them.

It's a busy day at the park. Just take it easy, enjoy the parades, shows, do some rides (lines will be long). Eat lunch and dinner at off-peak times.

Take some quiet time in the rose garden near the castle - or any other favorite spot.

Can't proof read...he That's NYE at MK

You can easily fix typos in your original post(s)
by just opening your post, clicking on the "Edit" button in the lower right corner,
and, after making the changes in the post, clicking the "Save" button.

(Ask me how I know this. ;) )

If the park is closed you could head to the Polynesian Resort to see the fireworks. I prefer this one because it's closest to the TTC and parking. I would not want to deal with the monorail that evening if I didn't have to!

What if you have a dining ressie for crt? Can you get into the park even if its closed to more guests if you have a dining ressie? Just curious. Thanks for all the answers

There's really no trick to getting in if the park is closed for capacity. It's a head-count kind of thing so if it's full, they have to wait until enough guests leave before they can let any more in. So a dining reservation will get you nowhere.

We spend NYE in WDW this past year. The MK did the NYE festivities on the
30th as well as the 31st. We spent the entire day of the 30th in the MK. Had dining reservations for lunch and dinner so we could get a break from the crowds. Camped out in front of the Castle with the DJ after dinner and just enjoyed our surroundings. It was great.

We then spent NYE in EPCOT. I have to say the special fireworks were the most amazing I have ever seen. EPCOT handles the crowds a bit better but by dinner time, it was packed. Again we had a PS for dinner, enjoyed our meal and then stacked our spot for the fireworks. We met some great people in the area we were in. Took turns getting snacks & beverages.

We had a great time!

We did the same thing as you! It was fun, but really crowded at Epcot on NYE! I hope to go again this NYE, but I might try DHS for NYE. We went to MK for NYE two years ago. I just went to DW last week (got home Fri. night) and it didn't seem nearly as crowded as it was on New Years week.
Have fun!:)

FWIW last year MK closed at around 11am on NYE and didn't reopen until 9:30pm

An ADR will not override a park closing - not even a prepaid one. Here are the different phases...

The turnstile master computer at each park keeps track of both entries and exits. When a park capacity closes (which is done in stages) there has to be a certain number of people exiting, with the total "in park" below a certain number, before they start allowing people in again.

I am low enough on the totem pole that I have no idea what these numbers are.

There are four stages to park closing:

Stage 1 - The parking lot entrance is closed. You can only access the park if you are using Disney Transportation.

Stage 2 - The ticket windows are all closed (and the automated Ticket Vending Machines are turned off). Unless you already have a ticket you cannot get in.

Stage 3 - Only people with Annual Passes or current Resort IDs will be allowed in.

Stage 4 - Nobody is allowed in.

Note - having restaurant reservations in a park, even with written proof, will not override a stage closing for you.

Also, if you are staying at a Disney owned and operated Resort and have a ticket, you are guaranteed entry into A park. Not necessarily the one you want (unless you want to go into AK). And if you have entered and left a park and do not have a hopper you may not get into anything.

What if you have a dining ressie for crt? Can you get into the park even if its closed to more guests if you have a dining ressie? Just curious. Thanks for all the answers

No, having an ADR will not get you into a closed park, but keep in mind that you will still be charged if you don't show up. If you really want to make a CRT ADR for a day when MK is likely to close, get there early and don't leave.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter