• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Kingdom closing last night (8/20/11)

kathyell

DIS Veteran
All right, who else was with us in those crowds last night trying to leave the Magic Kingdom at closing time?

We were there last night and had actually planned on leaving a bit before park closing, but I had the bright idea to slip on to PotC before we left. We loaded into a boat there, the gates shut at the loading station, and then the ride lost power. They couldn't let us out because the boats could start moving unexpectedly, so we ended up as the last people on the ride that night, floating through at a snail's pace. About forty minutes later, we were no longer leaving early.

We reached the exit and learned that the reason the monorail had been down when we'd come in the park around 5pm was because some critical part of the system had been struck by lightning earlier that day. The ferries and buses were the only ways out.

The TTC ferry line was backed up past the bag security tables. Even the resort launches were backed up many boats' worth of resort guests and people just trying to leave the MK one way or another. We went out to the bus stands to see if there were buses being dispatched to the TTC, and were told by a cast member that the line for those buses was very long as well. She suggested that we could bus to the Poly and use the walking path, which I realize someone is going to flame me for even considering, but the cast member also said they were trying to start spreading people out among all the options to get to their cars instead of overloading the ferries and the TTC bus.

We then got in line for the Poly (again, ONLY because it was suggested to us by a CM) and met a lovely couple from Tennessee, but we soon overheard cast members saying that EVERY bus would be routed to the TTC first and then its real destination, and to try to distribute guests evenly in the lines. We moved to a different line at that point to comply with the new info from the CMs, and after waiting two more buses, we were at the TTC.

Total travel time from MK turnstiles to Daisy 31: 1 hr, 54 mins. And you know what? So many people in the crowd were lovely and friendly even though we were all tired and frustrated, it wasn't as bad as it might sound. We got home around 2am, but we have a "leaving MK" story we can tell for a long time.

Who else was there? Was anyone there today, and can you post whether the monorails are back up yet? We saw several powerless monorails getting pushed along the tracks last night and it just seemed like this might be the kind of thing that will take time to fix.

Plus I think it was super you didn't blow a gasket.:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

You should've gotten some nice late-night pictures while everyone waited in line (i.e. see everyone was in line, not leave the park and try to sneak up to the WDW Railroad entrance and get a nice shot of Main Street) and then you would most likely not have to have waited as long.

You should've gotten some nice late-night pictures while everyone waited in line (i.e. see everyone was in line, not leave the park and try to sneak up to the WDW Railroad entrance and get a nice shot of Main Street) and then you would most likely not have to have waited as long.

I wish I could have. Two things standing in my way, though. We decided while we were out yesterday to head down to the MK for the evening, and I had none of my park stuff with me. No camera, no trading pins, nothing. So I had no camera with me to take pics. Second, we were wiped out, but my daughter (five years old) was especially tired. I think she had to feel like we were trying to go in order to kind of keep herself together, and when she saw buses coming and getting people, she felt like we were trying to get her back to the car so she could sleep.

So yeah, it can be sort of miserable in a big crowd like that, but sometimes you just need to feel like you're trying to get out in order to deal with the situation.

I would like to say, being completely fair to my daughter, that she did an amazing job rolling with the punches last night. Not just for a five year old, but for a person of any age. I really think that being at the parks teaches some lessons about patience and cooperation. It's one of the things I think my daughter has learned spending time in the parks, anyway.

Plus I think it was super you didn't blow a gasket.:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Well, thank you. I mean, it wasn't the fault of any of the CMs outside the MK, so there's just no point in getting all wound up at them, not that I think that sort of thing usually accomplishes much even if you are talking to someone with a lot of power to change the situation.

I *DID* see a few (but VERY few) people go nuclear on the CMs out there, just eye-rollingly bad behavior. If anything, the very small minority of people who lost their tempers seemed to band the rest of us together in being pointedly polite to each other and to the CMs. I was really impressed at how nice the vast majority of people were acting last night. If we hadn't been so desperately tired and a little anxious about when and how we'd be getting out, it would have just been a nice evening with some lovely people.

Wow, kudos to your DD - my kids never would have made it without a melt down.

I think I would have walked to the Contemporary and called a cab!

I think it would be nice if they would tell people trying to exit the park about the transportation issues. That would give you an opportunity to wonder around and explore. They could even keep a few attractions open for those that are willing to wait to leave.

My son was there last night (lives in Orlando) and has friends who work there. He was told (by whom I don't know) that lightening struck the rail and put them out of commission. I have no idea if that's true but that's what he was told.

He and his friends ended up taking the boat to the Poly and walking to the TTC from there. It took him 2 hours to get home when it usually takes 20 minutes or so.

I was there!!! We just returned home to NH today, that was how our vacation ended! The mass of people was truly unbelievable. We walked out around 10:40 and the lines were what you described even then. There was no way I was standing in that line with 2 kids, one half asleep, the other autistic. Our first plan was that I would ride the bus back to POP with DS and DD while DH, took the ferry to get the car, but he soon decided to just walk...yes walk, to the TTC. About 5 minutes after he left I saw how long the line was for the busses, with a daughter crying from exhaustion, I texted him that I didn't think we could wait in that line, so I walked to CR with the kids, he had enough of a head start that by the time he got to the car we had just made it to CR and he picked us up. Desperate times call for desperate measures!
Very grateful we did it that way, we were in our hotel room by about 11:45.
I will say that it seemed like Disney really was doing all they could do, I heard one CM say there were about 40 engineers working on the problem plus it seemed they had every available bus running.

Oh man! We were there. I had no idea why the monorail was down. We thankfully left at the right time and even before Wishes was over (we watched from the ferry) there were tons of crowds. I did forget about the electrical parade so we were stuck a bit longer than we liked

We were there too and left immediately after the fireworks!:scared1:
We knew returning to the parks that the monorail was down but upon leaving with intent to stay until 11pm being modified by a getting tired DS (and not wanting to push our luck), we opted to take the bus upon seeing the ferry mob. There were people hopping over the chains/ropes and jumping in front of people but MOST folks were pretty nice and then there was one bus when we arrived. There were at least 100 ahead of us and more behind. After about 15/20 mins three buses appeared and I can only assume more were on their way. DS9 and DH gave up seats to some mums with sleeping kids (DS6) fell asleep on me!
Total travel time to SOG (bus to TTC, tram to car) around 1 hr 20 mins.
It Was pretty miserable for our experience and usually we go just before the fireworks end (NOT my fav) or a while afterwards (preferred!), but made me very grateful for the 'regular' crowds;)

I wonder if that's a sneak peek at what it will be like leaving a sold out hard-ticketed party if they indeed discontinue monorail service at 8 on party nights! :scared1:

OP...... glad you made it out ok and have a "remember when" story to tell!

Disneynewman, how do you walk from MK to TTC? I know there are sidewalks to the Contemporary, but are there to TTC?

Glad you made it home.

The night of the 18th was wet also. I got these as the park was closing:

dsc00374800x600.jpg

dsc00386800x600.jpg

Andy

It was our last day there yesterday as well. What a nightmare trying to get out. We left the park at 11:20 after an 11 PM closing time. It took us an hour to get back to our car which was on about the second row under the monorail right past the bridge.
One of the transportation CM's said that it would take 14 fully loaded buses to carry the same traffic as one of the boats. I wish they would have had the 14 buses going to the TTC. I think we made it on the 4th ferry once we got in line. The buses to the hotels didn't look that bad.

Your story reminds me of my very first trip to WDW when I was 7. It was 1985 and we were in Epcot til closing watching Illuminations. That was the night of the monorail fire, and it was before they had a bus system since all the resorts were monorail resorts. I have pictures of me and my brother falling asleep in our parents arms in a very huge line. They transported us all back to our resorts in those little parking lot trams...from Epcot back to the Contemporary. I remember it surprisingly well and my mom still has the newspaper story in my scrapbook. We didn't get back to the resort til around 2am or so...and this was well before the parks would stay open that late!

Your kids will remember the adventure for a long time. I certainly remember mine!

Disneynewman, how do you walk from MK to TTC? I know there are sidewalks to the Contemporary, but are there to TTC?

Glad you made it home.

there is a pathway around the Seven Seas Lagoon starting @ MK and going around past GF & Poly to the TTC. I have always wanted to make the trip just to say I've done it. Maybe this fall.

walking path: I am surprised. I thought you couldn't walk from GF to MK.

i think it would be great if you could choose to walk to Mk from any of the monorail resorts. not sure how long a walk it would be. but you can walk from YC/BC; BW, Swan/Dolphin to epcot and DHS> it's a nice option

there is a pathway around the Seven Seas Lagoon starting @ MK and going around past GF & Poly to the TTC. I have always wanted to make the trip just to say I've done it. Maybe this fall.
There's a gap where the canal for the water pageant boats are sorry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter