Magic in Sept. Questions?

fsubigdogs

Mouseketeer
My wife and I along with our two children ages 2 3/4 and 1 yr. old are going on the Magic Sept. 17th. I have been on many other cruises and am excited to see Disney's offering. We are staying in a Cat 5 deck 7 Room 7556. I have a few questions if any one can chime in it would be much appriciated.

How big is the fridge in the room?

Is Palo a must or is it more hype? (I heard there are mad scrambles for reservations and I don't want to start my vacation stressing over it.)

Has anyone used the Flounders baby sitting service and do they give you pagers?

Are there many activities for kids under 3?

Welcome aboard. Don't know about Flounder's.....my kids are a little older than that. On our 2 DCL cruises we have not made it to Palo, however, my sister has told me it is a MUST! We will be going with them this September and will probably go twice if it is as good as she says. You will have a ball, no matter what you decide to do! Please join us on our cruise meet thread if you have not already............September 17, 2005 am i alone on the ship?

Have a good one.......look forward to hearing from you on the cruise meet,

Missyoh8

fsubigdogs said:
My wife and I along with our two children ages 2 3/4 and 1 yr. old are going on the Magic Sept. 17th. I have been on many other cruises and am excited to see Disney's offering. We are staying in a Cat 5 deck 7 Room 7556. I have a few questions if any one can chime in it would be much appriciated.

How big is the fridge in the room?

Is Palo a must or is it more hype? (I heard there are mad scrambles for reservations and I don't want to start my vacation stressing over it.)

Has anyone used the Flounders baby sitting service and do they give you pagers?

Are there many activities for kids under 3?

The fridge is bar size, and more a cooler than fridge.. :) IF a fridge is needed for a medical need, one can fax a doctor's note, and a fridge will be in your room..

My cousin used Flounders in September and was extremely pleased, yes you receive a pager.. YOu are allowed 3 reservations immediately, and if you would like more, you may call or go in, and we did, and had wide open availability....

There are many activities for those of all ages, and if your child would have fun in the children's clubs, you are more than welcome to accompany them there, and use their slides, and toys....

Palo's ...hmmmm.. We did this finally on our 3rd trip last September, we loved it. WE do not regret not doing it beforehand. Like yourselves, we wanted to get used to everything first...

About the ressie rush..It can be bad, but we do it like this. We get to the port and check-in by 11:00, and then get in the boarding line, so we are one fo the first families to board, hubby goes to eat with the kids, and I go and make Palo ressies, and then join them, with plenty of time to eat....

I get to the port, not really for Palo, but to enjoy our first day on the ship.. :cloud9: You will never see it so empty, and the pools especially...My kids love it at this time....

Hope that helped some...ANything else...go right ahead..

And on a final note...See you...we are also on that cruise.... :wave2:

We have travelled on the Magic 5 times in September, and love it. It is low season, so you don't have the crowds or high prices, but still have warm sunny weather. It is hurricane season, so you need to be prepared for the possibility of the ship's course being altered to avoid storms. DCL does a great job of taking us somewhere warm and sunny with smooth waters, even if it wasn't where you planned to go.

The "fridge" is really a beverage cooler. If you need a real refrigerator for medical reasons, phone DCL and get the medical form. Have your doc fill it in, and they will put a real (small, but adequate) refrigerator in your room.

On the 7 day cruises, the "rush" for ressies is MUCH less than on the 4 day. I've never had a problem getting something I wanted including Palo or spa.

"Activities" for the under 3 set are very limited--it is really set up as babysitting, not activities. For your almost 3 year old, they frequently allow kids in that age range to play in the Oceaneer's Club WITH a parent present.

Your "under 3" can go to all the "family" activities with you. The little ones are a hoot on family dance nights in Studio Sea.

You are allowed to make a set number of Flounder's reservations on boarding day, then you can make more on a "space available" basis throughout the cruise. I'd be tempted to wait till the "almost 3" is fully 3 and can go to the kid programming.....or a real money saver, go when she is 2 years and 11 months. If she is fully potty trained, she can participate in 3 year old programming if she is within 30 days of turning 3...and you still sail with an "under 3" for charge purposes.

The fridge is little, like a mini bar in the room.

Palo on the Magic is very good for brunch, tea and dinner. Yes, it is definately worth getting reservations for. When you board you will get the embarkation navigator (newspaper). It will tell you what time and where the palo reservations can be made. Usually, they are at 1pm. This gives you plenty of time to eat lunch first and then head over to the specified place. Head over when you are finished with lunch and you will have plenty of time to get the reservations you want. Just be flexible..work it out with the spouse ahead of time, what night..time/back up night time and you will be good to go. We have never had a problem at all, getting reservations.

Can't help you with the kids..lol, ours our grown, finally.

Don't depend on the refrigerator for keeping "cold" beverages cold -- it simply isn't the case. Our bottles of water were a bit cooler than room temperature only -- this will never keep milk, beer, juice or anything else cold that you like to drink cold.

Cruising with kids under 3 will be challenging - not as many activities as for the older kids 3-4+ --

Palo is very good -- the best food on the ship by far! Don't miss it -- it's a must. Don't stress about the ressie rush, we were on the 3 day in Feb and it was actually a pleasant experience -- plenty of availability.

Don't forget about the hurricanes. We cruised on 9/19 and got our cruise in between Ivan and Jeanne. Definately log on to your crusie meets board and exchange telephone numbers if you have to travel to FLA. Having some one's number also will keep you informed if they know of any DCL changes.

Last year's hurricane season was so crazy that on the way down and back home for us we saw electric utility trucks drive in long carvans (20 or more). It was unbelievable.

Don't freak out, having a number besides DCL is very reassuring. The point, get to know your fellow DISers. :grouphug:

taeja71 said:
Don't forget about the hurricanes. We cruised on 9/19 and got our cruise in between Ivan and Jeanne. Definately log on to your crusie meets board and exchange telephone numbers if you have to travel to FLA. Having some one's number also will keep you informed if they know of any DCL changes.

Last year's hurricane season was so crazy that on the way down and back home for us we saw electric utility trucks drive in long carvans (20 or more). It was unbelievable.

Don't freak out, having a number besides DCL is very reassuring. The point, get to know your fellow DISers. :grouphug:

Good point........we also were logging on to the boards during Jeanne to get DCL information. We traveled with someone we knew from these boards during the hurricane...........actually we had never met them until all the hurricane issues arose! In hind sight we actually had fun running around Florida waiting for the cruise :crazy: .

One other thing.....INSURANCE....get it!

Missyoh8

wonderfan said:
Don't depend on the refrigerator for keeping "cold" beverages cold -- it simply isn't the case. Our bottles of water were a bit cooler than room temperature only -- this will never keep milk, beer, juice or anything else cold that you like to drink cold.

Cruising with kids under 3 will be challenging - not as many activities as for the older kids 3-4+ --

Palo is very good -- the best food on the ship by far! Don't miss it -- it's a must. Don't stress about the ressie rush, we were on the 3 day in Feb and it was actually a pleasant experience -- plenty of availability.

It is true that some stateroom coolers don't keep things as cold as some would like, but we have sailed 13 times on DCL in all different staterooms/decks and always found the coolers to be fine. We kept juice, milk, wine, etc in there and everything was very cold...so, like many things......your mileage may vary...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter