• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Eastern excursions

oo138oo

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

This will be our first Eastern cruise. Any suggestions on good/fun excursions for a family of four? DD is 7 and DS is 5. Nothing physical. No extensive walking or bike riding. We've done the dolphin excursion in Cozumel so we don't have a problem passing that up. Thank you very much.

since your kids are young perhaps at St, Maartin you would like the Butterfly farm. i t is a short bus ride there and a short shopping stop too, but most of the time is at the butterfly farm. it is a nice family place.

St. Thomas has Coral World which is a marine park with an underwater observatory and some exhibits to walk around and see. there is a small beach 5 minutes walk from the park too. shopping and snakcs are available too.

There is also a tram ride up the side of a mountain right next to the shopping at the port. At the top is a great view, walking paths, an exotic bird show. you just walk there from the port, maybe 10 minutes at the most and buy your tickert right there so you can go when ever you want.

good luck in your choices,

mom x4,grandma x4

Thank you so much!

One more question. I noticed they have the butterfly farm and coral world excursion offered by Disney. Should I do it on my own instead?

with the butterfly farm I would use Disney just for the ease of not worrying about getting back on time. it is a bit farther to go. If your on a disney excursion and you run late the ship will wait, but if you go on your own, they will NOT wait!!!

Coral world is fairly close to the port, about 30 minute I think and it is really easy to get a taxi to take you there if you want and to bring you back
Last year I think it was $11 per person one way , plus admission into the coaral world park itself, not sure on the price.

If you do either one on your own, go early morning so you can get back to the ship with a few hours before you have to. You can always shop near the port after an excursion if you want to so you dont have to get on the ship ASAP after your excursion.

i guess the advantages of doing DCL excursion is security for time.
advantage of going on your own, it is usually a little cheaper and you can stay as longer if you like. taxi's are easy to find to go back and forth.
always set the price per person before you get in the cab!!!!

Personally , our first time to any island I always book with Disney because it takes all the worry and stress of being in a strange place away and I always feel safe with a large group and a guide.
2nd time to some islands I would feel ok going on my own.

mom x4,grandma x4

We took a taxi to Coral World and then did Coki Beach next door. The beach is closer than the length of the Magic. It is a beautiful beach and great for kids. If you have anything to feed the fish they will be all over you.

We used a locker at CW and their restroom had a shower.

http://www.coralworldvi.com/

Coki.jpg

Coki

apsBurt-R5-E107.jpg

DD#4 on Coki (6 by 5 days)

Coral World has a Family Admission price of $52 for a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids, I think). It's so much cheaper than the Disney excursion.

My question is are cabs readily available at Coral World?? We are planning on doing the beach first, then Coral World. I've seen posts where people would make arrangements in advance to have cabs come get them at certain times.

Hi- This info is just what we were looking for too. Did you reserve through the Coral World website? Did you walk to Coki Beach? Are there restaraunts nearby? I am also interested in the cab info & swilphil brought up an interesting point... Does anyone have a recommendation of doing CW first and then the beach or vice versa. For those who did both- how much time did this excursion take up?

TIA:goodvibes

We went to Coral World on our own. So much cheaper and it is YOUR OWN PACE. It is a piece of cake to find a taxi there and back. They are lined up. We printed out a internet coupon before we went and saved a few dollars. We did not do Meagan's Beach but regret it. If we go back it will be a must do. Do CW first as you have access to their lockers and showers after buying a ticket. Meagan's Beach is beautiful and perfect for young kids. I don't recall how much time it was...quite a bit and that was without the beach.

One suggestion, after Coral World and tons of "family time" we were hot and DD was exhausted. We went back to the ship and ate and cooled off and got DD into club. Then DH and I ALONE went up the tram. It is a really nice "couple" thing to do and was very romantic. It was basically a tie with Palo's for the best quality time we had together as a couple.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter