Magic Dry Dock 2015

gismo1554

DIS Veteran
Just wondering, as it is just a 2 week dry dock, should we be expecting anything major to have changed? I was hoping last year they would have added the fake port holes to the inside rooms but alas no. I'm assuming 2 weeks isn't long enough for this to be installed but just wondering whether there is likely to be anything else tweaked?

Just wondering, as it is just a 2 week dry dock, should we be expecting anything major to have changed? I was hoping last year they would have added the fake port holes to the inside rooms but alas no. I'm assuming 2 weeks isn't long enough for this to be installed but just wondering whether there is likely to be anything else tweaked?
Tweaking might be a concierge lounge, most of it is engines and plumbing. As you say two weeks is just a standard dry dock, hull inspection paint the bits they didn't paint last time as the hull is on blocks. We may see minor changes.

They can do a lot in 2 weeks, but as DF pointed out, the only work I have heard is routine stuff........Truck 1 has a better rumor mill connection!

AKK

I am wondering whether they might redo some of the public spaces that were not touched during the last dry dock, like the Promenade Lounge and the Cove Cafe. Especially the Cove Cafe is starting to look very tired, it could do with some new furniture and carpet.

Adding the fake port holes would take a lot longer than two weeks. It would involve such major remodeling AFAIK they aren't planning to ever to do that. It's o.k. to leave some aspects of the classic ship the way they are.

Adding the fake port holes would take a lot longer than two weeks. It would involve such major remodeling AFAIK they aren't planning to ever to do that. It's o.k. to leave some aspects of the classic ship the way they are.
I agree. I think they said it would take major rewiring that makes it totally impractical.

They can do a lot in 2 weeks, but as DF pointed out, the only work I have heard is routine stuff........Truck 1 has a better rumor mill connection!

AKK

Lol. Thank you.
Haven't heard too much on the Magic. Or the Wonder. The Magic will get her normal inspection s and cleanups with a few upgrades here and there.

As far as the Magic portholes like the Dream class has, it's not that hard to put in. The wiring on the ship has to be redone at intervals anyway. Wire has a life expectancy so during the change out putting in the new stuff wouldn't be that hard. Even if it took them 2 years to complete before making the final hook up and tests. They could be doing it in stages and you'd never know. Realistically out of an 800 room ship say 1/3 are interior were looking at 270 rooms to wire. Give or take. The real question is how close will DCL let the classics get to the Dream class. If every ship had an AquaDuck magic portholes etc. Theres no reason other then itin to get on a different ship. To a certain extent it's a marketing ploy.

Thanks all!

That was what I was thinking

I agree. I think they said it would take major rewiring that makes it totally impractical.

Exactly

Lol. Thank you.
Haven't heard too much on the Magic. Or the Wonder. The Magic will get her normal inspection s and cleanups with a few upgrades here and there.

As far as the Magic portholes like the Dream class has, it's not that hard to put in. The wiring on the ship has to be redone at intervals anyway. Wire has a life expectancy so during the change out putting in the new stuff wouldn't be that hard. Even if it took them 2 years to complete before making the final hook up and tests. They could be doing it in stages and you'd never know. Realistically out of an 800 room ship say 1/3 are interior were looking at 270 rooms to wire. Give or take. The real question is how close will DCL let the classics get to the Dream class. If every ship had an AquaDuck magic portholes etc. Theres no reason other then itin to get on a different ship. To a certain extent it's a marketing ploy.

Very true. It just would be nice to get the extra technology on the Magic especially as Dream/Fantasy are unlikely to make it over the pond any time soon.

Thanks all!

That was what I was thinking

Exactly

Very true. It just would be nice to get the extra technology on the Magic especially as Dream/Fantasy are unlikely to make it over the pond any time soon.
What I could see DCL doing with the Magic class is similar to RCL (I think) and put in virtual balconies or something along those lines on the interior rooms. They'd be smart to 1 up RCL.

@truck1

wouldn't that mean dropping the suspended ceilings in most decks in the hallways to run the Cat6 cabling, and penetrating the watertight bulkheads along the length of the ship and service shafts thou?

@truck1

wouldn't that mean dropping the suspended ceilings in most decks in the hallways to run the Cat6 cabling, and penetrating the watertight bulkheads along the length of the ship and service shafts thou?

Yes and no. There are alread chases for the existing wiring. They have to have openings already for the existing wires. Keep in mind this would be in a dry dock environment so they could easily pull the tile and put it out of the way to run the cables. There not doing he whole ship just a small portion. They could even do it while they have the rooms blocked our for wire replacing while the ship is in service. (They put up a temp wall in the passageway and do say 20 cabins a week.)They can run the new wire alongside the old and leave it sit there until there ready for it. Or run it as they run the new wire.

Yes and no. There are alread chases for the existing wiring. They have to have openings already for the existing wires. Keep in mind this would be in a dry dock environment so they could easily pull the tile and put it out of the way to run the cables. There not doing he whole ship just a small portion. They could even do it while they have the rooms blocked our for wire replacing while the ship is in service. (They put up a temp wall in the passageway and do say 20 cabins a week.)They can run the new wire alongside the old and leave it sit there until there ready for it. Or run it as they run the new wire.

Oh, okay.
I've just never experienced or heard of them blocking off sections of any ship like that apart from when it was mentioned on here about them refurbishing the wonders cabins.
I get that it is a proportion of the ship, but there are inside cabins on a lot of decks!
Which old wires? And wouldn't they all have to run to a location on the ship for the signal?
Do you think they would run in the cabling for on demand TV as well if they did this and why they haven't already in the last dry dock?

Do they still have the plumbing issue from the last dry dock? or has it been fixed? I read they added an Anna & Elsa’s Boutique recently. If they can do that while in use, I am sure they can do alot more while in dry dock.

I understand that the Anna and Elas's makeover was just set up in one of the shops from what i read.
Not a designated venue.

And I think they still have plumbing problems from what @truck1 has reported

I understand that the Anna and Elas's makeover was just set up in one of the shops from what i read.
Not a designated venue.
I read on the other other blog it is opposite the radio station in the old DVC offices/ store room in the forward funnel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter