Magic Behind Our Steam Trains Tour

sonofanarchy

DIS Veteran
Has anyone here done this, and what did you think of it? I love the WDW Railroad and think it would be interesting. Just curious what you see, how long it lasts, etc.

Thanks!

We did it and it was great! I'm not the rail aficionado that my DH is, but I enjoyed it anyway. You get to enter the park before anyone (even early ADRs) because the trains have to be in service when the park opens. (We were there in December, so we got a beautiful picture of the Christmas tree on an empty Main Street.) You ride the train into the wheelhouse, see the other trains, get to go into the engine, learn about the trains & their history, and ride in the first car with the engineers talking to you.

It lasts about 3 hours.

My 11 yo son and I did it in the fall a couple of years ago and it was really good. We both like trains but honestly with the history of Walt and trains it was super informative and I think any Disney fan would find it interesting. The guide that gave us our tour just so happened to be doing his very first tour with us. His mentor was in the group under cover until the end. He did really well, it was nice to have a younger man's perspective, especially for my son. I would highly recommend it.

When I was a CM, my brother and sister in law came down for their Disneymoon and the 3 of us did this tour together. My SIL and I are not train enthusiasts but my brother loves them. It was so much fun. When we went our tour guide was no tour guide at all. He was one of the conductors. He said it was the only tour not presented by Guest Relations. I think that made it better because it wasn't just a CM spouting off facts that they read. He did that job every single day. I don't know if that has changed because I did it in 2008. I think any Disney fan will really enjoy it. I did love though that when we went it was in Nov and Main Street was completely empty and decorated for Christmas. So beautiful and quiet. Not every day that you see MK like that. Hope you have fun!;):goodvibes

The history behind those steam engines is absolutely amazing! There is a lot of really neat information online that I have come across over the years due to my research on trains in Mexico. Most of WDW is decorated to give the illusion of a particular place or time, but those steam engines are actually a bit of living history with a very colorful and somewhat shameful at times past.

I've never been on the tour, but I hope to some day soon...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter