• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic bands necessary?

kayyy

Earning My Ears
We haven't been to Disney since 2013, and will be taking our 2yo and 6yo for their first visit in March this year. I was wondering if we needed to get magic bands? Trying to save some money and not get them if it wasn't necessary. Both my husband and I have Apple watches -- could we set those up, or do we use our phones? And I was wondering if I still needed a magic band for our 6yo. Disney has gotten so much more complicated since my last visit. Do we have to tap in at rides, especially if we're planning on getting Genie+ or use Rider Swap?

Are you staying on property or off property?
If on property, go to the front desk of the resort you are staying at and ask for room key cards. Those will also act as your tickets to enter the park.

If off property, go to the ticket booth or guest services at the front of the park and get hard plastic tickets.

Either of those can be used to tap into the park (yes, you have to do that) and into the rides that you have Genie+ on. Not sure about rider swap, though.

Are you staying on property or off property?
If on property, go to the front desk of the resort you are staying at and ask for room key cards. Those will also act as your tickets to enter the park.

If off property, go to the ticket booth or guest services at the front of the park and get hard plastic tickets.

Either of those can be used to tap into the park (yes, you have to do that) and into the rides that you have Genie+ on. Not sure about rider swap, though.
GREAT to know. Thanks. I really don't want to spend money on magic bands either!

Apple watches/phones, as long as you've the MDE app, can be used for any action the MB's would've been used. We're using old bands and when they stop being useful we'll go back to the cards. My phone is always on me for emergency use rather than all the rest. If I use it too much my battery is gone by 2p. For purchasing anything we use GC's or CC.

Im staying off site, so I want to get mine made into hard tickets. Where is guest services located? I get into Orlando 2 days before I go to the parks, is there a place I can do this ahead of our first day, without paying to park in the parks?

You are correct, Disney has gotten much more complicated than it used to be. I'm overwhelmed.

Im staying off site, so I want to get mine made into hard tickets. Where is guest services located? I get into Orlando 2 days before I go to the parks, is there a place I can do this ahead of our first day, without paying to park in the parks?
There is a guest services in Disney Springs.

Disney Springs also has the Official Disney Ticket Center, kind of diagonally across from Guest Relations and near D-Luxe Burger, and they could take care of you as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter