• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Bands Extras

KathleenlovesMickey

Mouseketeer
Question about the magic bands. Are people really buying things to decorate the magic bands just for that one visit? Or are the bands reusable? Do we bring them back for the next visit? If so decorating them would be fun but really spending all that money for a one time use. I love to spend at Disney too this just seems to me a bit crazy.

Question about the magic bands. Are people really buying things to decorate the magic bands just for that one visit? Or are the bands reusable? Do we bring them back for the next visit? If so decorating them would be fun but really spending all that money for a one time use. I love to spend at Disney too this just seems to me a bit crazy.

Right now you get new bands for each reservation. If that will continue, who knows. The decorations are removable so if you got a new band, you could just take them off the old one and put onto the new one.

We have not used them yet, but I'm sure DD will want to accessorize when she gets hers. We are still a ways off for our next trip.

Well, seeing as how you actively link your ressies and tickets to the MB yourself, I'd imagine they're meant to be reusable. Though they have a battery life of 3 years from what I've been reading. So what happens after that? Does Disney give you a free new one or do you have to buy a new one? I can't see Disney wanting to send an MB every time you book a trip if they know you have one already. But that's just me being logical!

I can't wait to load mine up with Star Wars swag. :)

Whether the bands are reusable or not, the decorations people are buying for them definitely are reusable.

So, if you buy, say, a band cover or a slider, then you can just take it off your old band and put it on the new one. Ditto for the little decorations (though from what I've been hearing, they fall out very easily, so might not make it to the end of your vacation anyway).

"Craziness" can be argued one way or another, but not entirely for the reason you're thinking. ;)

Btw, one very cheap way to decorate your magicband? Paint it with nail polish!

My DD (7) absolutely had to have the Duffy set to decorate her MB (she is a bit of a Duffy fanatic). I don't recall seeing anyone but her in our 9 days in the parks wearing MB decorations purchased from WDW, or buying them in the store. I'm sure there were others, but there certainly weren't a lot of others. Also, those things fall off. They have posts and just pop into the band wrist fastener holes. DD didn't lose any, but they did occasionally fall off. She always felt them go and picked them back up, but it would be easy to lose them. We also were each given a glow in the dark 2013 slider that fit onto our bands. Those stayed on because they were fastened into the band, but we didn't really see any sliders for sale in the stores.

The decorations could easily be moved from one MB to another if you did not reuse your bands.

Right now you get new bands for each reservation. If that will continue, who knows. The decorations are removable so if you got a new band, you could just take them off the old one and put onto the new one.

We have not used them yet, but I'm sure DD will want to accessorize when she gets hers. We are still a ways off for our next trip.

Hmmm...well, I guess that takes care of any issues with the battery! In that case, I'll be sure to date each band with the specific date of the trip for keepsake purposes. :)

I saw a few people with the park themed decorations on their MBs, but personally I'd like to decorate my own instead, make it custom.

Bands are definitely re-usable. We have re-used some of ours. Right now they are sending one set per reservation, but eventually they will send one per person. At that point you will be expected to bring your band(s) back trip after trip.

Because they are currently sending one set per reservation, some guests have more than one band. Each band works by reading your profile in your MDEx account. That means that guests with multiple bands will be able to use any/all of them as they wish. They all will access the same information.

As for the "bling", I didn't see anybody buying it or wearing it. I only saw the regular MBs. Personally, I don't mind the covers or sliders, but the Band-its seem like a poor investment. From posts here it seems that they don't stay in the bands as well as they should. Many guests have reported that they lost theirs rather quickly.

Thanks for the posts. I had not thought about the fact that the things can be removed. It still amazes me how Disney can come up with som many things to have us spend our money on. Don't get me wrong I have bought some trading pins because i liked them (I don't trade) but the money that some have invested in those things WoW!!!! To each his own but I think except for a few exceptions they are going to be like Beany Babies.

The passes and room stuff are not stored on the bands - they're stored on your My Disney Experience profile. The bands read that. Any band that you have active and linked to your profile will read it.

I bought an Agent P to stick on my band (had to buy Phineas and Ferb too but haven't worn them). He fell off once at the Boardwalk pool bar. He hasn't fallen off since and he's been on 2 different bands. Little children may have trouble with them falling off though, especially if they enjoy pulling them off.

We bought two sets of bandits on our trip - Phineas and Ferb and the park icons. My DS6 had a lot of fun with them! We traded and interchanged bandits throughout the day and we have them in a little bag for our next trip. They are really cute and, since you get 3 - 4 in a pack, certainly cheaper than buying and collecting pins! When we were at AKL, we overheard a cm saying the bands were good for 2 years and when I look at our next reservation for February, we still have our bands from last week attached to our account. I'm assuming Disney expects us to re-use those bands. We'll see! Wouldn't mind getting some new colors just for fun!

I have a blinged out band and have used it for 3 trips. Haven't lost any of my bling. 3 bandits and a slider.

Right now they are sending one set per reservation, but eventually they will send one per person. At that point you will be expected to bring your band(s) back trip after trip.

Sorry to say, but I think Disney may have a hard time enforcing that, with the exception of AP holders. There is no way I'm keeping those bands. To me, it's just clutter. And as right now, I'm thinking our normal annual+ trips are going to drop down to one every few years, so again no real motivation to save it. I'm sure there are/will be others that plan a once in a lifetime trip but find themselves going back due to circumstances (i.e., convention or destination wedding) that won't have a saved band.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter