Magic Bands at Disneyland?

DancinMama

Mouseketeer
Our family has regular Magic Bands from our many trips to WDW.

Can we use those at Disneyland? I thought I read somewhere that it's only Magic Band + at Disneyland.

If it's only MB+ and we don't want to spend the money on those, what do we use to scan into the parks and all of the things we used them for at WDW?

Confused as this is our first trip to Disneyland.

Thanks!

Our family has regular Magic Bands from our many trips to WDW.

Can we use those at Disneyland? I thought I read somewhere that it's only Magic Band + at Disneyland.

If it's only MB+ and we don't want to spend the money on those, what do we use to scan into the parks and all of the things we used them for at WDW?

Confused as this is our first trip to Disneyland.

Thanks!
I also have the original Magic Bands from WDW but couldnt find any option so we will just use the smartPhone.. just try to bring either an extra smartphone (that you might have laying around) or a good powerbank for your phone

regards

I also have the original Magic Bands from WDW but couldnt find any option so we will just use the smartPhone.. just try to bring either an extra smartphone (that you might have laying around) or a good powerbank for your phone

regards
Highly recommend getting a fuel rod. They still offer free switches at Disneyland. Lots of places to switch them. You can even find deals on them on Amazon if you have time before your trip. Ours have more than paid for themselves at this point. We use them at both Disneyland and Disney World

I will say as someone who bought the MB+ it is so much easier using it to scan in for the parks and the rides then your phone. I also like that it does different interactions on different rides and around the park. I am hopefully they continue to make it better and will eventually have it be useful for purchases and unlocking your room when staying on properties and also for validating that you have a magic key for discounts but I will say it bothers me when I am trying to scan in to my LL and someone has to take a long period of time to scan in using their phone. I even had a cast member comment when I scanned in so quickly that he wishes everyone had a MB and it makes it go so much quicker. I got the Villains one and I love it.

I wish Disney added more Statues that were interactive, but for the price of going and how offend they have made new versions of the bands I just can't buy one yet for these parks yet.
I dont need the Super Nintendo Band level of things happening but from what I can tell there are only three things you can interact with at the DLR. (outside of using it for FP/getting into the park)

I will say as someone who bought the MB+ it is so much easier using it to scan in for the parks and the rides then your phone. I also like that it does different interactions on different rides and around the park. I am hopefully they continue to make it better and will eventually have it be useful for purchases and unlocking your room when staying on properties and also for validating that you have a magic key for discounts but I will say it bothers me when I am trying to scan in to my LL and someone has to take a long period of time to scan in using their phone. I even had a cast member comment when I scanned in so quickly that he wishes everyone had a MB and it makes it go so much quicker. I got the Villains one and I love it.
I am going to do a quick disclaimer because I do not want my comment to be misunderstood. @Rich M -I realize you have no control over the pricing at Disney. This comment is not directed at you specifically and is more of a general observation/my personal opinion.

I agree with you that they need to add more functionality like being able to charge purchases, unlock a room, or serve as proof of annual pass/other discounts.

If Disney wants more people to buy and use MagicBand at Disneyland, they need to significantly lower the price. Maybe $20-$25 at the most for a plain solid color. Also, they should give you a discount on the MagicBand if you buy Genie+. Personally, for what it does right now, I am not going to spend $35 for a plain solid color MagicBand and not over $50 for something with characters/park themed.

First, yes, only Magic Band+ works at Disneyland. I think it depends on how many you need to buy whether you would get your money's worth. It does save time entering the park and for Genie+ entrances (so less phone time). I bought (I know, more $!) the holders and charger adapters on etsy (https://www.etsy.com/listing/128911...dcd2b2a6c9fc4771db0ae809bf357d2149:1289116427) and put them on our pack straps so we don't have them on our wrists - if they had a clock face we'd find them 10x more useful.

I am going to do a quick disclaimer because I do not want my comment to be misunderstood. @Rich M -I realize you have no control over the pricing at Disney. This comment is not directed at you specifically and is more of a general observation/my personal opinion.

I agree with you that they need to add more functionality like being able to charge purchases, unlock a room, or serve as proof of annual pass/other discounts.

If Disney wants more people to buy and use MagicBand at Disneyland, they need to significantly lower the price. Maybe $20-$25 at the most for a plain solid color. Also, they should give you a discount on the MagicBand if you buy Genie+. Personally, for what it does right now, I am not going to spend $35 for a plain solid color MagicBand and not over $50 for something with characters/park themed.

Completely agree with you about the price point. Its easy for me to just buy one but would not buy multiple for sure. So far I have definitely found the convenience of not having to take my phone out and getting my app to work correctly has been worth the cost but for a family of four your money is probably spend better elsewhere. I will say though the technology is pretty cool and I do like that it lights up randomly when on rides and during the shows.

That's where I am too.....it's just too much for the functions I actually want.

edit: and I might actually consider still getting them if they were not already charging so much for Genie+ which I do intend to purchase at least a couple days.

This might be a silly question but we are going to Disneyland for the first time. Can we link our Magicband plus bands that are already linked to Disney World to Disneyland? Or do we have to purchase new ones?

I believe just sign into the Disneyland Phone App (which works for Disneyland and California Adventure), click the three bars in the lower right corner, select MagicBand+ and make sure they are linked there too. I use the same +Band for WDW and Disneyland with no problem.

I believe just sign into the Disneyland Phone App (which works for Disneyland and California Adventure), click the three bars in the lower right corner, select MagicBand+ and make sure they are linked there too. I use the same +Band for WDW and Disneyland with no problem.
thank you:)

First, yes, only Magic Band+ works at Disneyland. I think it depends on how many you need to buy whether you would get your money's worth. It does save time entering the park and for Genie+ entrances (so less phone time). I bought (I know, more $!) the holders and charger adapters on etsy (https://www.etsy.com/listing/1289116427/magicband-flexible-puck-holder-magicband?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=magic+band+plus+holder&ref=sc_gallery-1-12&bes=1&sts=1&plkey=5ebd99dcd2b2a6c9fc4771db0ae809bf357d2149:1289116427) and put them on our pack straps so we don't have them on our wrists - if they had a clock face we'd find them 10x more useful.
I have never used a magic band and this thread is making me realize I'm completely clueless. I was thinking I might buy a 100th anniversary band since it's just me. But I need a charger and holder as well? I don't mean to hijack the thread but what do you need to make it work besides the 'band'. I'm bringing a power bank for my phone.

I have never used a magic band and this thread is making me realize I'm completely clueless. I was thinking I might buy a 100th anniversary band since it's just me. But I need a charger and holder as well? I don't mean to hijack the thread but what do you need to make it work besides the 'band'. I'm bringing a power bank for my phone.
The band comes with a band-specific charger, it will actually do most of what is important even if battery runs down, but I'm guessing will go around 3 days without being recharged when fairly new. You do want to charge it when you get it, and spend a few minutes "setting it up" so if you can get one early, that's helpful so you're not spending Park time fooling with it ;) For one person it's kinda fun.

The magicband as it comes can be worn on your wrist like a watch, and comes with a USB cradle that the band snaps into to charge. You don't need a separate holder. Some folks don't like wearing it on their wrist, or they already wear a watch and don't want to wear a second band, so some enterprising folks (like myself) have designed different holders that allow you to take the puck out of the band and wear it as a pendant, on a badge reel, on a keychain, or as a slider on your existing watch band. Most of us are selling them on etsy. You don't need one though - everything you absolutely need is included in the package when you buy it.

Many of the holders on etsy require you to remove the puck from the holder and use an adapter ring to fit it into the charger (or to put it back in the original band to charge), which is what @TinkAgainU was referring to with regards to charge adapters.

As an aside, I designed one that fits directly in the charger to make things a little more simple (one less thing to keep track of). I do sell on etsy, but won't link here as that would go against policy.

We are WDW gurus and have more Magic Bands than you can imagine. For a 3 day trip to DL, we are ok to NOT have Magic Bands (LOVE them at WDW). But will they give me tickets at the turnstile when I scan in my tickets from UCT? People who use their phones to scan into the parks at WDW ALWAYS have issues when they are in line ahead of us. :confused3 We are buying Genie+ ahead of time with our passes, so really really hoping we will get actual passes that we use to scan at the turnstiles as well as for the LL attractions. Who knew a WDW expert would have to do so much research to go to DL (when I've been there twice before, but that was pre-Genie+).

We are WDW gurus and have more Magic Bands than you can imagine. For a 3 day trip to DL, we are ok to NOT have Magic Bands (LOVE them at WDW). But will they give me tickets at the turnstile when I scan in my tickets from UCT? People who use their phones to scan into the parks at WDW ALWAYS have issues when they are in line ahead of us. :confused3 We are buying Genie+ ahead of time with our passes, so really really hoping we will get actual passes that we use to scan at the turnstiles as well as for the LL attractions. Who knew a WDW expert would have to do so much research to go to DL (when I've been there twice before, but that was pre-Genie+).
You just download the "Disneyland" App - very similar to the WDW App. Load your tickets by number. You'll use the App to enter and for Genie+ or iLL rides. I'm not sure you can use G+ without the App - you need to "reserve" ride times roughly two hours apart, and pay for the major ride time slots individually (unless you snag a free spot at exactly 7am or 1pm with the Virtual Que function). Download the App before your trip and play with it to become familiar ahead of time. It actually works well.

I'm not sure you can use G+ without the App - you need to "reserve" ride times roughly two hours apart, and pay for the major ride time slots individually (unless you snag a free spot at exactly 7am or 1pm with the Virtual Que function).
Are any DLR rides currently using virtual queues??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter