Magic Bands and Lost Parents

Guest Relations would be the only CM's in the park with access to see that much info, and then they'd only be able to access it from a computer with access to the resort systems (City Hall, etc).

The best thing I ever saw a parent use when I was a CM were Safety Tats; particularly for non-verbal kids!

But keep in mind, CM's are trained to watch for kids who are lost, as they usually do not seek out help (WDW is loud and scary when you can't find mom and dad). The important thing to remember (just like you tell your kids) is to stay put if you get separated from your child. CM's are going to quickly sweep the area looking for Lost Parents before they take the child to Lost Kids, and it's harder to find parents on the move!

But how did you or any other CM use the Safety Tats. What info on them did you or any other CM use to find the Lost Parents?

But how did you or any other CM use the Safety Tats. What info on them did you or any other CM use to find the Lost Parents?

Most parents just put their cell phone number, some put details about the child (if they are non-verbal, have an allergy etc). While not all CM's have access to a computer, they all have a phone or radio. :)

Most parents just put their cell phone number, some put details about the child (if they are non-verbal, have an allergy etc). While not all CM's have access to a computer, they all have a phone or radio. :)

It was my understanding that most CM's do not have access to a phone that can dial an outside number and that calling is not a really in the lost parent procedure.

Also that maybe the Child care center would be the only CM's that could possibly call but if they had to the parent most likely did not try to find a CM. A CM that would contact the Child Care center and then tell the parent to go there.

It was my understanding that most CM's do not have access to a phone that can dial an outside number and that calling is not a really in the lost parent procedure.

Also that maybe the Child care center would be the only CM's that could possibly call but if they had to the parent most likely did not try to find a CM. A CM that would contact the Child Care center and then tell the parent to go there.
I believe that has changed in recent years. Even if a cm doesn't have an outside line, they have access to a radio that can be used to get someone with an outside line

I believe that has changed in recent years. Even if a cm doesn't have an outside line, they have access to a radio that can be used to get someone with an outside line

Correct, CM's can always contact someone who can call an outside line.

If found some Magic Band skins that have "lost parent" information designs.

I can't find the site I found them on originally - that site had a two piece design. (probably going to regret not bookmarking that).

I was thinking these might work better for my daughter than a temporary tattoo in part because I'm assuming that cast members would use the magic bands (colors, special designs, etc) as a way of opening up a conversation to distract kids and we might be able to write the number large enough that they don't have to touch her to read the number.

Correct, CM's can always contact someone who can call an outside line.

But at one point in the process does this happen?

I'm only bringing this up to make sure people have reasonable expectations on whats going to happen and now that magic bands are here other expectations may arise.

I believe I read a post where someone saw a lost parent reunited with their child. It seamed like the parent was super frantic (as can be expected), they didn't seek out a CM and just ran around looking for the kid. As they were reunited the parent started yelling at the CM asking them why they didn't call them immediately since their kid knew or had the parent's phone number written on them.

I'm sure(hoping?) parents are not going to think Disney can track down their kid with a magic band but I know that since all my family has had cell phones I'm not so worried about losing track of anyone. Which happened at WDW when on a Band Trip. I had 10 kids with me and my two sons and we left a 7th grader in the area under Spaceship Earth. Even with cell phones it took him 2 or 3 tries to contact someone in the group.

If found some Magic Band skins that have "lost parent" information designs.

I can't find the site I found them on originally - that site had a two piece design. (probably going to regret not bookmarking that).

I was thinking these might work better for my daughter than a temporary tattoo in part because I'm assuming that cast members would use the magic bands (colors, special designs, etc) as a way of opening up a conversation to distract kids and we might be able to write the number large enough that they don't have to touch her to read the number.

That would probably work well! You know your daughter the best, and CM's will call the number if it's visible. They won't look for it though (for example, some parents have put it on the inside of their child's shirt etc).

But at one point in the process does this happen?

I'm only bringing this up to make sure people have reasonable expectations on whats going to happen and now that magic bands are here other expectations may arise.

I believe I read a post where someone saw a lost parent reunited with their child. It seamed like the parent was super frantic (as can be expected), they didn't seek out a CM and just ran around looking for the kid. As they were reunited the parent started yelling at the CM asking them why they didn't call them immediately since their kid knew or had the parent's phone number written on them.

The standard CM procedure is to call a supervisor, and quickly look around the immediate area for mom and dad. If the parents can't be located nearby, the CM will walk the child to baby care/lost kids. That's the most likely point where phone numbers would then be used. Kids usually are reconnected with their parents before ever making it to lost kids. If the child is old enough to place the call on their own (Tweens, teens etc), any supervisor could get them an outside line to call their parents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter