Magic Bands….Credit cards….and payments

hmmerr02

Mouseketeer
Question for you guys around WDW recently. I am traveling with my mom and aunt and would like to be able to pay separately for our tips and extra yummies. How are the Magic Bands working for this? Can we set up our accounts our check in with separate credit cards to keep our gratuities and extra meals/snacks going to each account?

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who have attempted this lately:)

Question for you guys around WDW recently. I am traveling with my mom and aunt and would like to be able to pay separately for our tips and extra yummies. How are the Magic Bands working for this? Can we set up our accounts our check in with separate credit cards to keep our gratuities and extra meals/snacks going to each account?

You should be able to put a differant CC on each MB. Just ask at check in. Although it has been reported that some CMs have said that the can't do it.

I would love to hear how this has actually worked out for anyone who has attempted it :)

Unless this has changed since October 2013, only one card can be attached to a "party". You can have bands without charging privileges at all, like for children.
I went with a girlfriend and we asked to have separate credit cards attached and we could NOT do so. Each person does get a separate PIN number, so maybe that allows you to track who bought what?? We just attached her card to the Magicband and I charged directly on my card for my own purchases, so I don't know if the PINs would show up on the bill.

I'd love to see this change as well. For groups of adults or families traveling together, it's really a must and not having to carry around a separate card really would be nice!

My friends and I attempted this in March. The CM checking us in said it wouldn't be a problem but only my band worked (my band was associated with the card used to book the room and was the first card set up). Once we figured this out we had to go back to check-in and they tried to link the cards for the other three people again. CM said everything was good but their bands never worked for charging. We didn't try to fix it a third time.

So, technically you should be able to do this, but we weren't able to make it work.

My friends and I attempted this in March. The CM checking us in said it wouldn't be a problem but only my band worked (my band was associated with the card used to book the room and was the first card set up). Once we figured this out we had to go back to check-in and they tried to link the cards for the other three people again. CM said everything was good but their bands never worked for charging. We didn't try to fix it a third time.

So, technically you should be able to do this, but we weren't able to make it work.

We have seen it happen many times…."improvements" to the system end up being HUGE hassles. The last thing I want to do is end up in the Guest Services line at the hotel numerous times :(. Thanks for your experience sharing. I had heard that it was supposed to work in "theory", but wanted to know if it actually worked before I started to do it :)

My friend and I stayed at AoA in February. We were assured at check-in that we could set up our magic bands so that her charges would go on her credit card, and my charges would go on mine. We each had our own individual PIN numbers.

I had read on the DIS that other folks had had problem keeping their charges separate when staying in the same room, so I checked at the front desk to see if it was working. It was not! All of the charges were going under my friend's credit card, because she was the one who had made our resort reservation (which could really have been a problem since, once you reach $500 at a value resort, they charge the card!).

Luckily, they were able to tell whose charges were whose, I suppose based on the PIN numbers from the magic bands. They manually separated out my charges to my credit card, one by one (took about 15 minutes). I was assured that, going forward, each of our personal charges would be separated out onto the correct credit card. I was still nervous about it, so stopped by the next day to check again. Same problem! They straightened out our charges again, and from that point forward, I stopped charging things to the room. It was just too much of a hassle to keep spending time fixing the problem!

It's such a shame, because I really liked the convenience of using the magic bands for charging things!

We have always been able to tie different credit cards to different people. You should check after the first day to make sure they have done this correctly. I think our stay at the boardwalk in February was the first time they did it correctly the first time. Nonetheless they will even separate it out manually if they can't figure out the computer system.

We did a split stay from March 24-31 at AoA and AKL-Kidani. We had 3 magic bands and 2 credit cards (1 cc associated with 1 band, 1 cc associated with the other 2 bands). Although this took awhile at check-in to set-up, it was set up correctly and we had no problems at all during our stay. All charges from the three bands went to their corresponding assigned card.

We did a split stay from March 24-31 at AoA and AKL-Kidani. We had 3 magic bands and 2 credit cards (1 cc associated with 1 band, 1 cc associated with the other 2 bands). Although this took awhile at check-in to set-up, it was set up correctly and we had no problems at all during our stay. All charges from the three bands went to their corresponding assigned card.

ANy idea of how you got it done right? Were there buzz words to used or a certain way the CM did it properly that you know of?

ANy idea of how you got it done right? Were there buzz words to used or a certain way the CM did it properly that you know of?

Unfortunately, not sure. We had a college program CM do it at AoA and an older woman who seemed like a seasoned CM split the charging out at Kidani and both turned out fine. We simply explained we wanted one specific credit card associated with two members of our party and another credit card linked to the other member and it worked out fine. Both CMs had to manually swipe the credit cards for each guest's profile - so one card was swiped twice, the other card swiped once. That is the only interesting thing I noticed during the set-up process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter