Magic Band reader spotted at DCA!

jsilvers

DIS Veteran
At a vending cart - not active, of course. The CM said the equipment was just put into use.

Since Disneyland doesn't have magic bands (yet), is this reader perhaps being put to use for something like Apple Pay? I believe Disney World got Apple Pay just before the end of the year last year, and I read that Disneyland was supposed to get it in 2015. Could it be coming finally?

Since Disneyland doesn't have magic bands (yet), is this reader perhaps being put to use for something like Apple Pay? I believe Disney World got Apple Pay just before the end of the year last year, and I read that Disneyland was supposed to get it in 2015. Could it be coming finally?
Apple Pay would be nice, it's quite convenient at the limited number of merchants that support it.

Disney has been working on bringing RFID scanners to DLR.

RFID scanner at the Club 33 entrance:
A test from September 2014, but scanner is no longer functional.

Hmm, I guess that means my next trip I should take a paper Fastpass or two as a souvenir, in case they're going the way of the Dodo...

Several Disney execs have gone on record to say that magic bands were probably not going to come to DLR so I'm not so sure. With so few onsite guests it really doesn't make financial sense to set up a magic band system in Anaheim.

Several Disney execs have gone on record to say that magic bands were probably not going to come to DLR so I'm not so sure. With so few onsite guests it really doesn't make financial sense to set up a magic band system in Anaheim.
If Disney decides to implement charging on MB's for guests that aren't staying on site, this would change the dynamic.

Having used the MBs and FP+ last year, I really don't see what the problem would be in bringing to DLR. We really enjoyed the MBs since you don't have to carry park tickets, hotel keys, and fps it was a breeze, IMO. I can see about the FP+ but with a little bit of planning we got a good use out of them. Just my opinion.

Having used the MBs and FP+ last year, I really don't see what the problem would be in bringing to DLR. We really enjoyed the MBs since you don't have to carry park tickets, hotel keys, and fps it was a breeze, IMO. I can see about the FP+ but with a little bit of planning we got a good use out of them. Just my opinion.

Problem with the FP+ will be for the thousands of passholders who will have to plan their visits 30 days in advance. Sometimes I don't decide to go until a day or two before. If I have to plan weeks in advance, I may just book up the FP+ for a day that I may or may not go...taking that FP+ from someone who will definitely go.

Problem with the FP+ will be for the thousands of passholders who will have to plan their visits 30 days in advance. Sometimes I don't decide to go until a day or two before. If I have to plan weeks in advance, I may just book up the FP+ for a day that I may or may not go...taking that FP+ from someone who will definitely go.

This is an example of why people should be careful of what they ask for. In this scenario, passholders could book up all the FP+ reservations and leave the offsiters out in the cold. Furthermore, onsite rooms would become even more absurdly expensive as they become more in demand by offering first priority for FP+.

Furthermore, onsite rooms would become even more absurdly expensive as they become more in demand by offering first priority for FP+.

And if onsite rooms are expensive, guess what offsite hotels will do? Yup, increase their prices to meet demand.

And if onsite rooms are expensive, guess what offsite hotels will do? Yup, increase their prices to meet demand.

Actually in this case the offsite hotels could be slightly hurt because they probably wouldn't be able to offer FP+ benefits to their guests. But since there are so few onsite hotels you probably wouldn't see a noticeable rate reduction with the offsite hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter