Magic Band Question

xfiles3010

WDW Addict
When I go to MDE , I can see my magic band from previous trip (2014). I have a new room reservation for Oct 2015. I already customized these new bands. When the new ones are shipped, will my old band disappear from MDE or will I now see 2 bands assigned to me??:confused3 TIA

You'll have two in your MDE account and you can use them interchangeably. You can always deactivate them later if you should lose a band.

A CM told me the batteries in the bands only last about a year. don't know if that is true, but what I always do is wear the one I customized for the new trip but I pack the most recent one as a backup in case I lose my new one. It is nice to have the backup because the last thing you want to do during a Disney trip is waste time trying to get a new band setup that you could be spending having fun!

When I go to MDE , I can see my magic band from previous trip (2014). I have a new room reservation for Oct 2015. I already customized these new bands. When the new ones are shipped, will my old band disappear from MDE or will I now see 2 bands assigned to me??:confused3 TIA

you will see two bands assigned to you.
you can use them interchangeably.
you can also deactivate the old band if you want to and reactivate it at any time.

You'll have two in your MDE account and you can use them interchangeably. You can always deactivate them later if you should lose a band.
I bought annual pass, when I redeem my voucher will my pass be on both bands?

I bought annual pass, when I redeem my voucher will my pass be on both bands?

Both bands will be able to ACCESS your AP's or any other tickets.

Remember that there is nothing that is "put onto" a MagicBand.

Just to keep things as clear as possible-

There is no reservation info, or ticket info, or credit card info,

or FP+ info "put onto" a MagicBand.

A MagicBand just contains (and weakly "transmits") a unique serial number that is used to access the information that is stored in your MyDisneyExperience computer file.

So, even if you were to lose a MagicBand, the info stays locked in your file.

Disney can just set up a new band (different serial number)

to access the info in your MDE file.

Disney can also issue ADDITIONAL MB's to a guest and each

additional band can be used for the same purposes as the first band.

So, yes, there can be multiple MB's per person, and each of them can be used by that person.

The MagicBand works like the combination to a locked safe, or a key to a locked door.

The MB, itself, is not the file of info or the container of the info.

The MB just unlocks the file of info, allowing it to be accessed from your MDE account when needed.

Yes. Nothing really goes "ON" your Magic Band. Everything gets linked to your My Disney Experience account, and in turn, the Band accesses that account, so any RFID media linked to your profile has access to that profile's tickets, etc. Hope that helps you out.

EDIT: And Robo beat me to it with a much more thorough and erudite explanation, which is why we all listen to Robo.

A CM told me the batteries in the bands only last about a year. don't know if that is true...

When they were designed, the info (and intent) was that the batteries would last upwards of three years.
To be "safe" they quote effective life of about two years.

Since the MBs have been in use only about one year (give or take) we don't have enough in-the-field info to say
exactly what the practical life is, just yet.

BTW, there are two different RFID transponders in each MB.
One (long range) uses the battery. That one is used for on-ride photo and video sensing as well as other "automatic" functions at WDW.

The other (touch-point RFID) is passive and so could be used for park entry, shopping and FP+ uses about indefinitely.
So if you really have a "favorite" MB, you could conceivably continue to use it for many things at WDW for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
EDIT: And Robo beat me to it with a much more thorough and erudite explanation, which is why we all listen to Robo.

Well, that's because Robo must have this explanation on a Word document that he just has to copy/paste because I've read this same explanation multiple times. ;)

Well, that's because Robo must have this explanation on a Word document that he just has to copy/paste because I've read this same explanation multiple times. ;)

Ya THINK?

lol thats what i do for other forums because people are literally asking the exact same questions every day that i've already answered countless times.

at least on disboards there's a variety.

lol thats what i do for other forums because people are literally asking the exact same questions every day that i've already answered countless times.

at least on disboards there's a variety.

Come back here when you get to, oh say, 10,000 posts and talk to me about "exact same questions every day." ;)

Come back here when you get to, oh say, 10,000 posts and talk to me about "exact same questions every day." ;)

oh i've answered a good 25,000 on the other forum that i was on for a long time prior to this one so i really know about redundancy lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter