• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Band Question For a Second Visit

1nfrequent

Mouseketeer
I suppose this is probably an obvious question but I'm back off to WDW next year. Bought my WDW tickets and booked my stay at Beach Club through hotels.com again (I still need to link the stay to MDE but will get that done this week).

I stayed at WDW last year and got a red Magic Band delivered to my hotel. It's still showing on MDE, albeit deactivated. For my stay next year, will I get a new Magic Band or do I need to bring my old one? I ask because MDE is not showing me any option of having a new Magic Band, although it's told me it can ship my tickets to my hotel.

Thanks in advance.

1F

When it gets closer your MDE will show an option to customize your magic bands. You will be able to use your new one as well as your old one. Have your old one with you at check in so that your room can be linked to it.

It's still showing on MDE, albeit deactivated. For my stay next year, will I get a new Magic Band or do I need to bring my old one?

you will get a new one
you can bring your old one (you'll need to activate it, just click on it and activate) but you can also leave it at home

the main benefit of bringing the old one (if you activate it) is that you'll be able to receive a room ready notification (if you do online check in) and this will give you the option to receive your room number by text and proceed straight to your room, but if you have to pick up tickets, you'll have to go to the lobby anyway

I ask because MDE is not showing me any option of having a new Magic Band, although it's told me it can ship my tickets to my hotel.

you said that you haven't linked your stay yet.
you only get a magic band with a hotel stay. So as soon as you link your hotel ressie, you'll get the magic band customisation option on MDX (you'll need to enter your UK adress to access that option)

When it gets closer your MDE will show an option to customize your magic bands.

OP didn't link the ressie yet. The option will show up as soon as the hotel reservation is linked
it will not show unless the hotel ressie is linked.

Have your old one with you at check in so that your room can be linked to it.

this is useless.
rooms are not linked to a magic band.
Rooms are linked to the MDX account, and Magic Bands are also linked to the MDX account

any Magic Band that's present and active on someone's MDX account can and will open the door of the current hotel room on the guest's MDX account.
there is no need to link a Magic Band to a room
(as said above, you can even use an old MB to bypass check in at the hotel if you've done online check in, and go directly to your room, no need to "link" an old MB to a room)

you can have 10 MBs on your MDX account, as long as they're active (option in magic bands and cards) they will all access the room reservation and open the doors.

nothing is stored on a magic band, the only thing it does is access the information on your MDX account.

As long as it shows on your MDX account, it can access anything on that account (tickets, dining, fp+, rooms, you name it)

you will get a new one you can bring your old one (you'll need to activate it, just click on it and activate) but you can also leave it at home the main benefit of bringing the old one (if you activate it) is that you'll be able to receive a room ready notification (if you do online check in) and this will give you the option to receive your room number by text and proceed straight to your room
This isn't actually true they did test it for a while but at the moment everyone still has to check in at the front desk.

this is useless. rooms are not linked to a magic band. Rooms are linked to the MDX account, and Magic Bands are also linked to the MDX account any Magic Band that's present and active on someone's MDX account can and will open the door of the current hotel room on the guest's MDX account. there is no need to link a Magic Band to a room (as said above, you can even use an old MB to bypass check in at the hotel if you've done online check in, and go directly to your room, no need to "link" an old MB to a room) you can have 10 MBs on your MDX account, as long as they're active (option in magic bands and cards) they will all access the room reservation and open the doors. nothing is stored on a magic band, the only thing it does is access the information on your MDX account. As long as it shows on your MDX account, it can access anything on that account (tickets, dining, fp+, rooms, you name it)
Again not entirely true although most times it is rooms don't always link to MBs as it is a separate file - we bought DD a new MB (don't ask

DD didn't bother taking her old MBs (she had two old ones from last year).

She got two new ones this year (two because she had two check ins, when she first arrived and then for the single night at the end of their stay)..

anyway, she didn't bother taking her old bands with her. Just another thing to bother with.

This isn't actually true they did test it for a while but at the moment everyone still has to check in at the front desk.

Don't know how functionnal this is now, but Online check in currently has a signup for this option
It might not be fully deployed now, but it sure is an option, so it could be fully deployed at anytime.

"If you already have a MagicBand or admission card, the notification may provide your room number and inform you that you may proceed directly to your room upon arrival at your Resort"

screenshot courtesy of a fellow forumer.

check-11.jpg

chmurf:
you said that you haven't linked your stay yet.
you only get a magic band with a hotel stay. So as soon as you link your hotel ressie, you'll get the magic band customisation option on MDX (you'll need to enter your UK adress to access that option)

:face palm:

You're right. I am such a numpty.

Thanks all. Honestly, I'm not normally this dim. (I'm normally worse ... )

1F

Just wanted to close this out by saying that as per chmurf's advice, once I linked my hotel booking to MDE, I got the customisation option on the magic band and it all tied up with my tickets. Went for a blue one this time. Just 4 more visits and I'll have the set! :)

As a side point (which may be useful for anyone booking via hotels.com) I had a tougher time getting the Disney confirmation number than the last time I went through this as it seems that hotels.com doesn't automatically tie up the Disney number with your hotels.com reservation number. I ended up having to wait on the phone while a hotels.com rep contacted Disney separately to get the Disney number and I had to go through 2 reps before I found someone who could do it. Obviously, you avoid all that if you book with Disney direct but I got a better price going through the third party so for me it was worth the extra hassle.

Thanks again for the advice and best wishes to all for a prosperous and happy 2015.

1F

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter