Magic Band for Children Under 3?

FrankieWinthrop

Mouseketeer
I've read a lot of posts about people receiving Magic Bands for their kids, even infants, under 3 years old that don't require Theme Park Admission. Most of these posts have been from early last year. Has something changed?

My DD will be 2 when we go in September and when I asked my agent at SmallWorldVacations, she said kids under 3 don't get them. I can definitely foresee her wanting one like everyone else and I know I can buy her one, but how come some people receive one with their vacation package and others don't?

Any ideas? Should my DD show up as an attendee on MyDisneyExperience? Right now, it just shows the 4 adults that are going.

Thanks for your help!:cheer2:

DS was sent one even though he's 16 months old. He is included on the room reservation as well as dining reservations as an infant.

When we went last year our son who was 2 1/2 years old at the time got one. I didn't think he'd want anything to do with it but he wore it the whole time without a problem....probably because we all were. Your little one should get one too.

Thanks for the back-up! I called Disney directly and they backed out the reservation and added it back with her on it. I can make her a magic band now! It's like you guys said, they have to know about her for dining reservations.

Now an ethics question: Should I reply to the travel agent that told me this (below)? I don't want to get on her bad side to where she won't be looking for discounts/free dining for us in the next few months! But it also makes me leary if she didn't know to answer to this basic question.

Agent's email response: "Children age 3 and under do not receive Magic Bands as they do not require theme park admission."

I would ask why your LO wasn't added to the reservation since everyone needs to be listed.

I would ask why your LO wasn't added to the reservation since everyone needs to be listed.

This. Our 2 1/2 year old got a magic band, they just came in the mail today! When I was customizing he was there, he's on the room reservation and our dining reservation. I'd be asking why your child wasn't listed! Just because they don't need a ticket, doesn't mean WDW doesn't need to know about them on your reservation.

My two year old received a Magic Band! He was included on dining reservations but not on FP+ reservations. He was still permitted to go on all the FP+ rides we went on. When his band made the booper thing turn red instead of green, we just explained that he was only two and they let him through every time.

Scanning his Magic Band was one of his favorite things to do at Disney World!

When do one actually get magic bands. In our MDE page all adults and kids are listed and linked to our room reservation. We haven't linked our park tickets yet and we will be going in April.

When do one actually get magic bands. In our MDE page all adults and kids are listed and linked to our room reservation. We haven't linked our park tickets yet and we will be going in April.

A few days after your last date to customize listed in the Magicband page.

Thanks for the back-up! I called Disney directly and they backed out the reservation and added it back with her on it. I can make her a magic band now! It's like you guys said, they have to know about her for dining reservations.

Now an ethics question: Should I reply to the travel agent that told me this (below)? I don't want to get on her bad side to where she won't be looking for discounts/free dining for us in the next few months! But it also makes me leary if she didn't know to answer to this basic question.

Agent's email response: "Children age 3 and under do not receive Magic Bands as they do not require theme park admission."

I'd be pretty disappointed in my agent. First of all, all adults/children should be listed on the reservation and in MDE. Second of all, she definitely should have known the answer to that question.
I am a TA and if I am not sure of an answer to a question, I do everything I can to find the answer. I don't just make up answers.

I'd be less concerned about the magic band info (although that's bad) and far more concerned that she hadn't even listed your daughter on the reservation! Disney wants to know everyone in the room. Right, she doesn't need a park pass, but that doesn't mean she doesn't need to eat and sleep.

I'd be weary to say anything, just like you, but I would also start looking for a new TA or work with primarily with Disney. I don't like confrontation (DH is very assertive though and would take care of this no problem!). Is there a way where you can tell her politely that you discovered that your little one needed to be on the reservation and that you already updated it with Disney? My 9 month old has been listed on all our reservations and gets his own Magic Band (to be worn around his little ankle, just like his sister when she was younger).

Listing everyone on a room reservation and a dining reservation has been a long standing Disney policy. It is basic Disney Travel 101 for everyone, not just TA's.

I would be concerned at what else this TA doesn't know since she actually booked your trip without the child. It may have been she did not ask for your under three travel party members, but when you brought it up, an immediate apology and pursuit to correct was in order.

Your trip so fixed, but what about her other families. I would definitely mention something. If the TA reacts negatively, then I would make her aware that if she has done this to other guests, she puts those Reservations at risk. Occupancy wouldn't be an is use as long as families only have one under 3, but could be if they have 2. Dining reservations could most definitely be an issue.

It isn't your responsibility, but I would feel inclined to correct the TA for those reasons.

Agree with all PP, but if she's all, well I'll list him, but he doesn't need a band", the theme parks have tons of cute ones. My 2/3 has 2 bands with his name on them, but we are considering getting him a Stitch one next time cause it's cute. Also, for little guys, you should take the grey area off to make it a small band for tiny wrists.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter