Magic-al (Vegan, Dairy Free) Texas Thanksgiving with the Mouse-Completed!

Great start! I am enjoying your report and looking forward to hearing about your time in port. We are taking this trip in a few weeks and are trying to decide what to do. I Look forward to your insights. Thanks!!!

Hi CruiseCrasher! So excited that you were on your cruise :dance3:and that you're writing a TR! Your DISigns decorated our doors and shirts/sweatshirts back in June! Looking forward to following along:goodvibes!

After a brief dip in the pool,Kylee and Chris started getting a little blue around the lips (the water in the pools is heated and warm, but Disney still cannot control the weather, so it was a bit chilly for swimming). We headed back to 5020 and swapped the kids back into their play clothes. Chris bounced around in enthusiasm at the prospect of getting to go to the kids club for real. Kylee seemed less sure, but we promised we'd pick her up so she could meet the princesses in the atrium before lunch.
After we checked the kids into the club, Ben and I walked on deck four for a little then got prettied up in preparation for our brunch reservation. We were planning on lounging around for a bit, but the queue for the Princess Gathering already seemed to be getting daunting around 10:30. I left Ben to hold our spot and scurried off to the club to retrieve my princess fan. She burst into tears on seeing me because she did not want to leave the Luau in the Oceaneer Club to go meet the princesses.
Let me give you a second to let that sink in. A bit of background:
Kylee talked about nothing but meeting the princesses for the very first time from the minute she found out that we were going on this cruise. She liked imagining which princesses she might meet. She spends about half of her play time at home dressing up and playing princess. I don't think she's realized that it is different when she's on board or at the Disney store, as we already call her "Princess" at home. And yet whatever they were doing in the club wasn't worth leaving.
:confused3
I got her in her Snow White dress and about halfway through meeting the lineup (Belle, Snow White, Tiana, Cinderella and Aurora) she calmed down enough to tell Tiana she was her favorite princess and get some cute pictures with Cinderella.
Asking how old she is...
IMG_0600.jpg

And talking...
IMG_0602.jpg

The mob scene from above, that line wound it's way most of the way down the deck toward the Promenade Lounge.
IMG_0621.jpg

Kylee insisted on heading right back to the clubs, we confirmed her lunch with the counselor at check in and scooted off to Palo.
Ben and I loved brunch. Sylvester, our server, walked us through the buffet and pointed out the vegan options for me (flatbreads with olive tampenade, salads, roast veggies, hummus, fruits and much more) and then seated me, assuring me that I could ask for anything and the chef would be thrilled to work something lovely for me. Ben got called by the Oceaneer Club staff during the buffet tour, as they were rechecking that Kylee's lunch special order was arranged (and asking that we not order peanut butter to the club for future requests).
Sylvester stopped back by to present us with our complimentary champagne
IMG_2334.jpg

(we'd said we don't drink when he'd first offered, so he brought us nonalcoholic sparkling cider, which tasted bubbly and cold and appleish)
He asked if Ben knew what hot dish he'd like, and he ordered the Grape Gorgonzola Pizza and I think the Chicken Parmegiana. I told Sylvester I'd try whatever the chef felt like making. He smiled and took to the kitchen with our orders. I picked at my flatbreads and artichokes and olives and fruit salad. All excellent but completely forgotten with the arrival of a perfect spinach onion pizza.
IMG_2331.jpg

Seriously delicious and crisp and with a lovely balance of flavors.
And the arrival of this garlicy slightly sweet pasta.
IMG_2332.jpg

And these roast veggies lightly dressed in balsamic vinegarette.
IMG_2333.jpg

My main problem was which to put in my mouth first and I happily took tastes back and forth across my three options. I think the pizza was the best or at least it disappeared fastest.
Ben loved his Grape Gorgonzola Pizza but the time I was able to refocus and remember to photograph it, this was all that was left:
IMG_2335.jpg

He says it is indescribably weird and delicious and a must try. I think it ranked highest on his food all trip.
Ben headed back to the buffet to load up on some pastry and dessert morsels.
IMG_2336.jpg

Pretty nearly everything on the dessert and pastry buffets involve butter in some way or another, but Sylvester showed up with this:
IMG_2338.jpg

Oh, my, goodness.
Very slightly sweetened berry reduction on a warm pizza with a very light sprinkling of powdered sugar. I think it contained a tiny pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg. I know I loved every bit of it.
Before I'd made much headway, he returned with a little fun bonus dessert as well.
IMG_2339.jpg

Strawberry, Basil and Blackberries Sorbet.
Very Sweet.
Very Good.
Very Gone.
And at this point I nearly started crying because I was full but still had two slices of the berry pizza left.
Sylvester boxed it up and we headed off to collect the children for the afternoon.

your pictures are great! and I just have to say how much I admire your ability to get up and jog while on vacation ... I wish I had that kind of motivation. :goodvibes

loved that the chef in Palo was so accommodating - they made you some seriously fabulous looking food! :thumbsup2

BTW, forgot to mention we tried that gorgonzola & grape / port wine pizza at our brunch - it was amazingly good. I was skeptical but I'm a believer now!!

So glad you are doing a trip report! I was on your sailing too but canceled right before PIF. I'll just live vicariously through you.

What a great report!! With your review of Palo brunch, I have decided to try and book it for us on our next cruise. It looks great Just hope my little ones will stay in the the Club for it!
How long do you think you enjoyed the brunch for??
thanks!
annabug

annabug said:
What a great report!! With your review of Palo brunch, I have decided to try and book it for us on our next cruise. It looks great Just hope my little ones will stay in the the Club for it!
How long do you think you enjoyed the brunch for??
thanks!
annabug

An hour and a half. But it would've been faster if Ben hadn't needed to run and talk to the Oceaneers club.

I am enjoying your report!!!

I love the Magic!

Your kids are so cute!

We had Sylvester at Palo for our brunch in September, he is such a nice man.
He brought us out the Gorgonzola and grape pizza to try. It was delish.

Looking forward to reading more and hearing about Thanksgiving Day aboard the Magic.

Ugh. Just spent two hours writing up a post and organizing my thoughts, and the computer ate it.
:badpc:

ARGH!

Lol. Small world.
There were actually several people from TWUMC on our sailing, so I'm not surprised that there are more of us. Off to get the links off of my laptop.

So, Milliepie has pulled down her 4shared site that has the pages, I'll PM you with what I have, though. If that's okay?

Can you PM with the pages as well? I'm sailing on the Christmas cruise out of Galveston and can't wait. :cheer2::cheer2:

After brunch, we took the boxed up berry pizza back to our room, changed into comfy clothes wandered around for a little bit sans kids,
IMG_0625.jpg

then decided we should see if they wanted to hang out with us and have an afternoon snack.
Chris and Kylee reluctantly left the Oceaneer's Club and came back to try some of the mysterious dessert pizza. Kylee gave it a taste or too, but didn't like it, and Chris wouldn't touch it if we'd paid him too. Oh well, more for me! Now that I had room again.
:goodvibes
Kylee stomped on the hem of her skirt at some point during the running around DoSiDoing with Snow White and ripped the back of her skirt open, so I patched that up with the Walmart sewing kit from the day before while the guys ran out to try to find an available shuffleboard. Finally got the skirt all patched while little princess snored away. I collected another of our many lovely FE gifts out of the hallway.
odds3.jpg

Chris and Ben ducked back by to see what was going on, and since Kylee still slumbered away, Chris wanted to try to teach me Shuffleboard as well. We made it halfway around the ship when he realized he hadn't used the restroom since breakfast. And so we spent some time that afternoon locating the nearest laundry rooms and running a load. After we got through with that and getting all gussied up for formal night, we headed to deck four to take some pictures...except it was already sunset by then. It sure doesn't feel like late fall in the southern gulf of Mexico, but the sun still sets early. So instead we took some time to meander about the shops and see which items interested the kids and what they might spend their pocket money on at some point.
Chris looking like a little gentleman
IMG_0632.jpg

Kylee in her princess finery
IMG_0633.jpg

Kylee, indulging in a twirl
IMG_2345.jpg

You know how all the cast members point differently than regular people?
IMG_0648.jpg

Yep. My kindergartener picked it up in under a day and still does it, now three weeks later. Never fails to make me smile.
I picked up the cruise's itinerary pin for my lanyard
CastawayLanyard.jpg

(sorry this picture looks funny, technically, this isn't a picture, but just what my lanyard looks like according to my scanner)
and we headed toward Animator's Palate.
IMG_2346.jpg

Still early, we hung about for a little while and realized, that one of the children from Kylee's preschool not only was onboard (surprise!) but had our same dining rotation
IMG_2349.jpg

Kylee and Her School friend
The Prince and Princess menu greeted us for the evening and cute little folded napkins.
IMG_0660.jpg

Ben asked if we could expedite the kids' meals as Kylee really wanted to go to the kid's club at this point. They were more than happy to oblige and after a fruit salad
IMG_2351.jpg

and a surprisingly bland tofu pad thai,
IMG_2352.jpg

I hurried off to drop the children at the Oceaneer's Club. Who should we run into right outside Shutters but Pluto? He seemed very pleased to hug Chris and wave at Kylee then he had to run off for a snack so that he could meet the kids for Pluto's PJ party in the club. I took the kids back to the room, changed them into full length pj's and slippers and dropped them at the club. When I returned to Animator's Palate, Ben had saved the rest of the pad thai for me and was just receiving this as I sat down.
IMG_2356.jpg

We slowly finished dinner and hung around until Luis dropped by to get our orders for tomorrow. We explained we planned to pretty much chill the next day and just catch something casual for dinner. He took Kylee's lunch order for the next day (vegan pancakes and apple slices, as it was an easy neat vegan finger food) and said to call him if I needed or wanted any dinner sent up. We slowly wandered back to pick up the kids, who were pretty well exhausted after such a full day of fun. They attacked our towel animal before I could see, let alone photograph it. Although they seemed exhausted and were already in their pjs, they took quite a while to fall asleep so we turned on the Walt Disney Theatre channel to Twice Upon a Time. Next sailing, I truly hope to be able to catch this show live, as it was lovely.
I reviewed the next day's navigators and took some pictures of the little details in the room.
IMG_2359.jpg

I'd noticed the Disneyland and Disney World castles on the lamp on the previous cruise.
IMG_2360.jpg

Out of curiosity I rotated the lampshade. Sure enough, there are castles for Disneyland Paris
IMG_2363.jpg

and Tokyo Disneyland as well!
IMG_2362.jpg

I'm guessing the shades predate the 2005 opening of Hong Kong Disneyland, though.
IMG_2365.jpg

After a last look at the art over our bed, I shut the curtain and crawled into bed, determined to sleep in for at least one day on our cruise. Even if it was to be the one day that we would be subjected to spring forward...

SpringForward.png

Why did you have to set your clocks forward? Was that to be in sync with Grand Cayman time? We did not, and I even asked about it. In fact I just wrote about this on my TR, but I swear we could never figure out for sure what time Grand Cayman was on because we saw clocks with different times there.

Palo sounds like it was a big hit. I did brunch on the Dream and loved it. I was not a big fan of Palo dinner on the Magic though.

jenseib said:
Why did you have to set your clocks forward? Was that to be in sync with Grand Cayman time? We did not, and I even asked about it. In fact I just wrote about this on my TR, but I swear we could never figure out for sure what time Grand Cayman was on because we saw clocks with different times there.

Palo sounds like it was a big hit. I did brunch on the Dream and loved it. I was not a big fan of Palo dinner on the Magic though.

Monday and Tuesday we were on EST. All ship activities and excursions. They left the card on our beds and there was a single line in the navigators the night before.

Monday and Tuesday we were on EST. All ship activities and excursions. They left the card on our beds and there was a single line in the navigators the night before.

Ok. They didn't do that for us. I had wondered if they would or not and asked before going and most people told me yes, the time would change, but it never did.

enjoying your TR. we’ve booked a very last minute cruise on the magic january 4 and, having been the last 3 times on the dream or fantasy, just this evening i’m turning into the crazy internet person who is thinking the boat is going to be dinky, nothing will be nice, our room is going to be terrible..... complete ridiculousness!

but as a fellow vegan (followed your posts before) and recently lapsed runner, i’m finding alot of reassurance here! and some great port galveston pics - nice to know what it looks like!

thanks!

enjoying your TR. we’ve booked a very last minute cruise on the magic january 4 and, having been the last 3 times on the dream or fantasy, just this evening i’m turning into the crazy internet person who is thinking the boat is going to be dinky, nothing will be nice, our room is going to be terrible..... complete ridiculousness!

but as a fellow vegan (followed your posts before) and recently lapsed runner, i’m finding alot of reassurance here! and some great port galveston pics - nice to know what it looks like!

thanks!

http://youtu.be/rTuDWg85Opw
I thought this was cool, fwiw :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter