Magic 11/16/02 Illness - THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN POST ABOUT THIS INCIDENT

Ann, I see the point you were making. It's true that peopel always get seasick on ships or, especially now with the cold weather, so many peopel get the flu, etc. DH & myself both had colds but we knew it was just a regular seasonal thing and there's nothing that could have been done about it.

I have been following this thread since Ken P first wrote to tell us of his experience on board. The tone of the thread seems to be all about irritation at people looking to be compensated. I think what Ken P is saying to you needs to be heard. It is not about compensation for many on that cruise (or others) who have been severely ill or watched loved ones who are severely ill. And it's not about blaming Disney...I think we can all agree that the fact that we come to these boards is because we are basically a group that is very pro-Disney. This is about safety in the cruise industry. This was not the "flu" When all is said and done, for this many people to have become so ill in such a short period of time..the transmission is not so likely to be person to person among passengers (altho some of this will happen). For so many to be so ill so fast there was more likely a common source...probably a (or several) foodhandlers who contaminated something. Disney is not alone with this problem. The cruise industry needs to take a long hard look at this (I'm sure CDC will also). What is happening on these cruises is not the garden variety of 24 hr stomach virus kids pick up in school. I agree with Ken & cutlertyfly that earlier notification would have allowed them to make preventative decisions particularly re: children, and those at more severe risk because of pre-existing health conditions. I'm sure this will be a learning experience for Disney, and I have no doubt that Disney will treat those affected much more fairly than have other lines. But the bottom line is that if you were on that cruise, it was not a "minor" inconvenience! I hope the message that there is illness on board the current cruise is not true.

Okay, surely NOBODY here is going to support the idea of trying to get something for nothing from DCL!!! And, while DCL has spoken of 'compensation', I can see why they are proceeding very slowly and deliberately on this!!!!

However, that being said, I just had to speak up and totally agree with KenP, and others... DCL has indeed dealt with widespread illness onboard before. And, yes I am sure that they were all very VERY aware, with all of the recent news about the virus on the now-docked NCL ship. Protocol should have been in place, and should have been implemented immediately. To not even say a word until concerned passengers are hearing the news from CNN news??? Not good!!! Not for DCL, Not for passengers. Not from any angle!

I sit here thinking that if I were a passenger, and had been informed a day or two earlier, then maybe my precious little child, and/or myself would have taken precautions, (ie: at the buffet, restrooms, pools, etc...) and then perhaps not have spent half of a VERY expensive long anticipated cruise, in our cabin, just deathly ill. Yes, I would be a bit upset at the thought...

What good did it do DCL, or any of the passengers, to let this virus spread as it did, and THEN suddenly notify passengers, implement precautions at the buffet, etc... etc.... Did no good at all... DCL did drop the ball.

Just my two cents worth!!

Well, I don't think it is right for people to take advantage of this with DCL, but it is in human nature. I hope that the problem has been taken care of, and I don't think kenp or many others will ask for the compensation. Again, there will be people who will try. Not everybody is so ethical.

As far as accusing anybody, I didn't see that; I see a lot of passionate people upset by some taking advantage of the system.

I think DCL will give out a few more certificates than it should, but they know when and where to stop.

Besides, a half off coupon at full retail is still higher than a few of the discount fares...They aren't stupid.....
:bounce:

As someone who didn't get sick, I'm kinda glad I didn't really know about it since I would have spent my honeymoon worrying lilke crazy! I always wash my hands more than usual when in hotels or crusie ships or anything like that anyway, so I never did anything different even after hearing about it. And there were so many of us that didn't know about it till we got the flyer. Everyone we spoke with thinks DCL did everything possible to keep it from spreading further and to keep us informed. I think if we knew about it from the start there would have been panic and people with regular sea sickness etc would have gone running to the doc saying they were sick. I understand people need to know of things but sometimes too much is too much..... When there are viruses going around, there is nothing anyone can really do to totally stop it. The only way I would say DCL could have done more would be if it ends up being food poisoning, which I doubt since mroe peoepl would have gotten sick then. Just my 2 cents...

Debbie-

Firstly way too much high drama...aids hepatitis..come on...this is ridiculous...how nice for you that you did not get sick however, how would you like to be the parent of say a special needs child and a flu like that could send them over the edge. Noone is "blaming" disney for the flu, they are angry with them for not telling them when they knew. As a parent with a small child who has seizure like fevers, I would be very angry with Disney for not telling me that there was some sort of "epidemic" on board. They knew very early because they were aware of the HA ship and they share the same port. I would not seek compensation from Disney, for what reason, what the hell point does that serve?

It just appears to me that yourself and AnnMorin are way too angry over something that has absolutely nothing to do with you. You were not on this sailing, you did not get sick, you are at no danger of losing anything and you certainly don't own disney.

People are entitled to the truth. Disney went about it all the wrong ways. Maybe if people were aware, they would have not swam in the pools or hot tubs or eaten from the buffet. Yes every time you are with a crowd of people there is a chance of illness but certainly not to this extreme.

Lori

I'm a bit confused with some people's anger here...
I would be very angry with Disney for not telling me that there was some sort of "epidemic" on board. They knew very early because they were aware of the HA ship and they share the same port.
Disney did let us know as soon as it became an epidemic. They followed the CDC law and told us then. But until there was a certain number of cases, it wasn't considered an epidemic so there was no need to tell anyone then. And sharing the same port with the HA ship didn't necessarily mean that DCL would get the same thing so they had no way of knowing in advance. DCL did not know it was bad until 3% of the people got sick and that's when we were notified. I don't even think we were at the same port as that particular HA ship so that has nothing to do with it. My whole thing with DCL not notifying us sooner was that how can they notify us of an epidemic before they knew that's what it was? And as soon as they knew, they took every precaution possible. I give 2 MAJOR thunmbs up to DCL for how they handled everything while I was sailing last week.

On a side note, I have Crohn's disease and could have easily gotten very sick to the point of going to the hospital and even the notice that was slipped under my dorr did nothing to change what I did. I sitll went swimming and still did everything I would have done.

Good points Lori. When we cruised both times before this one, we received notices under our door that chicken pox was reported to them and our children were exposed. One cast memeber waas very sick. I appreciated being contacted and was able to use my judgement on whether to let my kids back. Knowing about this illness people may not have put their children in the clubs and especially not in the POOLS. This would have at leastmade them more cautious.

Lisa I am glad you didn't get sick however you were not dealing with children who touch their eyes and mouths constantly so you didn't have to be as cautious. Those who were may have been better off knowing- a little worrying may have gone a long way if it kept the children healthy. There is nothing wore than an upset vomitting child in a cramped room.
NO ONE is blaming Disney for giveing them the illness. They are just saying they should have handled it better.
I personally don't think that DCL is required to offer compensation, however I do think it is a nice gesture for those whose cruise was ruined.

I agree, the fact that a few folks may be looking for something out of this is like a mute-point!!

Good to see that so many agree here... I know it looks like I was just going on, agreeing with MolllysNeeNee, but just to point out... My post was written entirely on my own, and sent without ever seeing MollysNeeNee's post come thru at about the same time...

A cruise ship is a very special case when it comes to stuff like this... 3000 people in such a confined space... eating the same foods, same restrooms and pools... That is why there are extensive regulations, and protocols that should be followed!!! CDC involved, etc....

DCL knowingly made the decision to hold off until the very last moment on notifying passengers, and implementing any precautionary measures. Very questionable to say the least.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely feel bad for anyone who got sick, and I understand it's tough to travel with a sick child (my brother used to get sick all the time when we were kids, before he passed away), I just don't understand the anger of some people. DH & I both feel that DCL notified us as soon as they knew there was something major going on so we were very pleased with that.

What I have not read on the boards yet, was those of you who did get sick or who's family got sick, how are you all feeling? So many peopel are posting on and on about how DCL could have handled it differernlty but no one has touched on the most important thing.. everyone's current state of health!!!

Let's look at it this way.

Disney knew about the HA situation.

A guest reports that they are sick on Monday. Do they send out a note? No - that's not really uncommon.

Guest 2 is sick - no need to notify guests. Still a not so out of the ordinary situation.

It continues - and by Thursday they have 100. They notify the guests.

They trace it back to Monday.

They simply may not have let people know on Monday because as of Monday they didn't know it was anything out of the ordinary or that the situation would worsen.

They may have suspected something was up late Monday, Tuesday, whenever. They would start to investigate it further; start taking some action; and then when appropriate - let everyone know.

OK - CNN said something first. Maybe CNN reads this board. Not sure what exactly happened - but Disney would want to break the news at the appropriate time when they had the information they needed. If they said something too early - maybe the staff wouldn't have been prepared to handle the questions.

Just my thoughts on the timing.

Lisa,

Honey, if I just spent $5,000.00 - $10,000.00 on what turned out to be 'the cruise from hell' for me and my precious little children, the last thing I would be concerned about would be trying to figure out how to express my feelings on the board!

The pain and disappointment and physical recuperation would be all I could handle. Followed by dealing with DCL.... :(

I'm curious about something. Some have stated," if we had known, we could have taken precautions." Ummm, I don't understand. I always take whatever precautions I can all the time. I guess being in healthcare I am a little more observant with it but I'm not exactly sure what other precautions could have been taken.

lruggiero, no it's not too much drama, it is part of everyday life. I'm not angry at anything. I just find it amusing that someone has to be blamed. It reflectsa mentality that if something goes wrong there must be somebody at fault. Disney, deep pockets and all, makes a big target. I for one am willing to give Disney, DCL and all the people on the Magic the benefit of the doubt and believe they have made a good faith effort to control and eradicate any contagion. It just makes good business sense to do so. I have no doubt at all that they are as upset about this as anybody.
Last, but by no means least, I think what we have here is not a public health issue but a public relations issue and people have a beef more with how the whole probelm was handled and not with the problem itself. Did everyone get sick at the same time? Did the ships doctor know what he was dealing with early? Or did it take a few days to get the numbers?

As far as it having nothing to do with me, yes, it does. I have been on six of the cruises and have seven and eight booked back to back. What DCL does directly affects every vacation I take with them. With all these cruises we have made and will have in the future, we have made a consdierable financial investment, so yes it does affect me and affects everyone else who cruises.

Debbie....

LOL!!! reading your post...

Yeah, I am going to book a cruise thinking... Okay, I am NOT going to eat from the buffet's, NOT going to swim in the pools, NOT going to ever use any restroom except the one in my own cabin... etc.... etc.... REALITY check!!!

Debbie One precaution would have been to keep their children out of the pool.Normally as long as it looks clean I do let my children swim, but If I knew there were a lot of people sick I would question it.Patty stated on our cruise someone threw up int he hot tub and walked away, not even reporting it(YUK). Also They could have kept the children with them. Although it may not have been the best cruise for the children I am sure they could find other things to do if it were to stay healthy. I know these measures may not have helped but it would have been worth it to try.

I disagree that Disney let the guests know as soon as they knew something was going on.
As I have posted before, I overhead the captain telling his crew on Friday, that they had been taking "special precautions" since Monday. Now why would he say that if they didn't know something was going on?

Yes, hindsight is always 20/20 as far as when the notification should have been issued. But with the knowledge of the Holland America situtation, Disney should have issued a warning earlier.

Heck, my child whimpers a bit in the Kid's club and they page the "Your child wants to be collected" message. Yet, a serious outbreak is in the works and they wait till they are required to issue the alert.

They could have issued an alert on Tuesday to the effect of "Recently another cruise line has had an outbreak of a stomach virus. As with every cruise, we have a few guests report stomach sicknesses. We are monitoring this situation closely. Guests safety is our number one priority. Attached is some advice from the CDC regarding stomach sicknesses and how to prevent them." (basically a handout on hand washing)

I have actually enjoyed reading this thread.....there are a lot of pros and cons about what should and should not have been done....Disney is in the business of providing great entertainment and enjoyment...and yes...they drop the ball once in a while...but my feeling is they do better than most....and I guess many people feel they should be perfect all the time....and that just does not happen...but they generally make a wrong right....just a quick side story....a couple of years ago we booked a room in the Contemporary hotel...a tower room.....at least that is what I thought....when we checked in we were told we had a garden view....after a little bit of discussion....they gave us the tower room for 4 nights...they needed it for the other 4 we were staying there....so they moved us after 4 days...to a suite....and not only did they take care of us with a nice dinner...but they also sent a fruit basket to the room on the first night...and a fruit and cheese platter the next....with an apology from the manager....they did the right thing for us....actually they did more than I thought they should....and I thanked them....and I hope all the people that were truly sick get taken care of...for it is my opinion they will do the right thing...and will some people who should not take advantage...ofcourse...it is human nature....so hopefully all on this cruise right now will be OK....and next week...when my wife and I are on the Magic it will be completely..."MAGICAL"!!!
4 days to the "MAGIC"!!!
Tom

Here is the latest(11pm) from another local news channel.App 25 stricken with flulike symtoms.Disney spokesperson quoted as saying."On any given cruise there are on average 10-15 people stricken with flulike symptoms".They are watching the situation closely(of course).They are in close contact with CDC.
Well at least the number has not risen.:)I'm sure Disney with theCDC is doing their best to pinpoint a source.If it is a Norwalk type virus, food and water are the most common types of transmission followed closely by object contact.(no wonder it can be so hard to pinpoint) Here is the CDC site for vessel sanitation:
http://www2.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/vspmain.asp

RE: Precautions

On Thursday morning I let my child swim in the Mickey pool. They had these fountain things going, spraying up straight up into child's rear ends. I glanced over and noticed a child in diapers in the poor. I let my child swim in the pool because with chlorination and assuming their was no outbreak on the ship, I would take that risk.

(some of you may remember the Daytona beach Fountain Gastroenteritis outbreak,
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4925a3.htm
)

However, had I had known about the outbreak, I would have chosen an alternate activity.

KenP

I do agree!

And, THANK YOU so much for being the one from onboard to first report the situation. And for continuing to give us your thoughts, as one who was there. A wonderful contribution to the board here throughout! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter