MAD MEN Final Season ~ APRIL 2015 ~

About the age thing, doesn't he say to Megan he's been 40 for 6 months now? Maybe I misheard. But that would mean Dick was actually older than Don, but not even a year. Although I always thought Don was older than Dick.

Yes, he did, which muddies the waters even further. The only thing I can think of (presuming that he is actually a few years younger than the real Don) is that perhaps he counts his actual birthday, but not his actual birth year. Of course, he says that he never had birthdays growing up, so I suppose that it is possible that he doesn't actually know what year he was born (far out, I know, but I've known people like that who grew up in very poor rural areas in that era, especially if their parents died when they were young. Sometimes there is no birth certificate to prove it, and they don't know for sure if there is no one around who remembers.)

I've tried to follow this trail before, and there are all kinds of weird gotchas in old episodes. The photo of Dick and Adam from the shoe box shows them in 1944, and Dick is at least in his mid-teens, but then in the flashback, Adam is standing on the platform when the body comes back from Korea, and he doesn't look the right age. Also, in the infamous Ad Age interview, Don tells the reporter that he was "born in the Great Depression", which wouldn't be true if he was born in 1926.

Sigh. Weiner is messing with our heads again. :rolleyes1

Can anyone explain what the crap happened to Megan during the break? The last show of season 4 she seemed to have it together at least. She looked to be great with the kids, helpful to Don, and functioning at her job. This episode she is singing weird songs I can't get out of my head (and I sooo want to), whining at work, and cleaning in her underwear saying "You can't have this!" It's like she suddenly de-matured in a few months.
Best scene of the show was def. Roger singing and dancing to Don at the office. I love that guy.

Yes, he did, which muddies the waters even further. The only thing I can think of (presuming that he is actually a few years younger than the real Don) is that perhaps he counts his actual birthday, but not his actual birth year. Of course, he says that he never had birthdays growing up, so I suppose that it is possible that he doesn't actually know what year he was born (far out, I know, but I've known people like that who grew up in very poor rural areas in that era, especially if their parents died when they were young. Sometimes there is no birth certificate to prove it, and they don't know for sure if there is no one around who remembers.)

I've tried to follow this trail before, and there are all kinds of weird gotchas in old episodes. The photo of Dick and Adam from the shoe box shows them in 1944, and Dick is at least in his mid-teens, but then in the flashback, Adam is standing on the platform when the body comes back from Korea, and he doesn't look the right age. Also, in the infamous Ad Age interview, Don tells the reporter that he was "born in the Great Depression", which wouldn't be true if he was born in 1926.

Sigh. Weiner is messing with our heads again. :rolleyes1

This is probably one of those instances when we need to take it for what it is- a fictional tv show. ;) Great entertainment.

Yes, I heard him say he had been 40 for 6 mos.

Yep he did say he had been 40 for 6 months..indicating Dick is older than Don.

Megan can zoobie zoobie zoo her little butt off the show.

OMG that was awful...I also spent an extremely unpleasant amount of time with that stupid song stuck in my head darn it!

I am so not a fan of her and I liked her at the end of last season..but not now!

I just skipped over the whole Zsou Bisou Bisou number. It made me cringe and cover my eyes so I just fast-forwarded (do young people know the term "fast-forward"? lol). I hate Megan. >_<

I just skipped over the whole Zsou Bisou Bisou number. It made me cringe and cover my eyes so I just fast-forwarded (do young people know the term "fast-forward"? lol). I hate Megan. >_<

That was very smart of you. However, I do suggest you watch the start of the song just to watch Don's face at the beginning. Priceless

Yep he did say he had been 40 for 6 months..indicating Dick is older than Don.

QUOTE]

In the season whee it showed the Dick/Don transformation, the actual Don Draper was a supervisor (maybe a sargeant?) versus Dick Whitman's Private stripes. I could look back and figure out the rank of actual Don Draper by looking at the uniform, but that is too much work!

When Don Draper was killed, Dick took his identity. Dick was not older than Don, but Don was older.

I saw it explained in another forum. But as I understand it, when Dick Whitman assumed Don Don Drapers identity, he took to celebrating DON's birthdate- but not his birth year. The comment in the show about "already have been 40" was stating Dick Whitmans actual birthdate. It was unclear to me if Dick changed his birth YEAR when he assumed identities. Of course Don's dogtags would be different than Dick Whitmans- but to be several years older is just another layer of the lie.

Best scene of the show was def. Roger singing and dancing to Don at the office. I love that guy.

:rotfl2:

Roger knows how uncomfortable that singing at party was for Don & of course, the barbed exchange between he and his wife was pretty good too(why cant you sing like her/why cant you look like him)
;)

Can anyone explain what the crap happened to Megan during the break? The last show of season 4 she seemed to have it together at least. She looked to be great with the kids, helpful to Don, and functioning at her job. This episode she is singing weird songs I can't get out of my head (and I sooo want to), whining at work, and cleaning in her underwear saying "You can't have this!" It's like she suddenly de-matured in a few months.
I love that guy.

Don Draper happened to her in the break. :goodvibes

Honestly, I think the writing of her character is excellent. And I feel the same as some of you.

But it's bang on.

Why?

Because loving a man like that can suck every ounce of confidence and love of life out a woman. Don is intoxicating. He shines his light on you - tells you his secrets - you're engrossed and in love and feel so close. And then suddenly a wind comes in and POOF. And there's darkness. He's suddenly cold. That cycle over and over.

And I would bet she is feeling like she can fix it all and make him happy. She's that powerful in her head. Her love for him is that powerful. But we know that's futile (and why I think Peggy knew the outcome of this choice - as she truly knew he was suffering through issues and then suddenly *solved* them by marrying so quickly).

Woman do that. We think we can fix it singlehandedly. Do anything to do that. Anything - especially during those times (my parents are their age) - can mean changing your personality. (Yes I know sometimes roles are reversed).

Plus I would think that Megan's new position has impacted her.

I know we are responsible for our confidence. However, that's the lovely of Mad Men. Human characters. Megan is losing herself trying to make Don happy. And it's sucking whatever life and confidence she had. To the point that no one (the viewers) recognizes her.

Betty tried it too in her own way. But Betty - God love her :rotfl2: - isn't a woman who would give the whole enchilada away.

Since they've moved offices - even the physical set up of it/people lost (loved Sal's story) - and since Betty and Don broke up well I haven't loved it all as much. Betty and Don were priceless.

I wish, too, that they would have kept Betty and Don together. Would have been interesting to see her have an affair and for Don to find out- tables turned!

I wish, too, that they would have kept Betty and Don together. Would have been interesting to see her have an affair and for Don to find out- tables turned!

The separation and divorce, remarriage is a great storyline to see how the children and other family members react to these changes.

I think in next episode we will meet Megan's family- how will they react to 40 year old divorced Don and his children? Remember Megan is in her early 20's- Megan is closer in age to 12 year old Sally than 40 year old Don.

Betty and Henry- same thing. Henry's grown children are older- one is only a few years YOUNGER than Betty. A season ago, it showed Henry's mother chastising Henry for picking up another mans mess.

Viewpoints of the kids- How do they view divorce? We know for a fact that Sally will play Betty vs. Don-- she did it last season when she took the train to NYC and suprised Don. As for the younger kids, they will see it as well.

The office scenes would be so boring without Megan. That whole party and zoobie song and dance would never happen with Betty. And to think, Megan went to work the next day.. oblivious to what people would say (Harry-- I;m talking about you!)

And for the viewers- we identify with the characters. Some of Mad Men viewers are the ages of the children. For example, my husband could be Baby Gene. What do they see? What do they feel?

I think the filming started after she had the baby...? Even so, she looked like she was wearing a fat suit!

Was anyone else proud of Don for going to a drug filled place with younger women and NOT doing anything bad...lol.

I think the filming started after she had the baby...? Even so, she looked like she was wearing a fat suit!

Was anyone else proud of Don for going to a drug filled place with younger women and NOT doing anything bad...lol.

I thought it looked like a fat suit, too. It looked very unnatural.

I'm pretty sure that January Jones taped some scenes before her leave. That would explain why they are making her look so big. I'm sure it is some type of makeup thing and not actually her.
This episode really didn't have all that much going on. Kind of like a filler episode, you know? And what a rat Pete is for disrespecting Roger like that in the announcement for Mayflower. What's his beef with Roger anyway?

I'm pretty sure that January Jones taped some scenes before her leave. That would explain why they are making her look so big. I'm sure it is some type of makeup thing and not actually her.
This episode really didn't have all that much going on. Kind of like a filler episode, you know? And what a rat Pete is for disrespecting Roger like that in the announcement for Mayflower. What's his beef with Roger anyway?

Look at Season 1. Roger and Pete have always had issues. In fact, in S1 Ep 3, Roger (and Don) fires Pete. Bert Cooper basically sits them both down and says that they need to keep Pete because of his family connections. Petes mother is connected to the wealthy in NYC. Bert says something like we would not have access to clubs and other functions if not for Pete's mother. Ironically, we find out later in that season after the death of Pete's father- his mother is wealthy in "name" only. (This is why Pete had to rely on Trudy's family for capital).

Sterling Cooper had to hire Pete because of his connections. As it turns out, Pete is actually really good at his job and Roger resents it. Roger *was* the patriarch of Sterling Cooper. Roger met Don, hired Don (also in Season 1). Now Roger does not feel relevant after loosing Lucky Strike. Coincidentally, it was also mentioned that Roger inherited the firm from his father- so he really doesn't know how to "work"- just to drink and be sociable- which isn't cutting it anymore.

Pete is ambitious. I have a feeling that Pete will move to CDC with Ted Chaough soon. I also feel that the unknown "falling man" will be Roger.

As for Betty, it is about time to see some depth. Many audience members hated her in Season 3- she fired Carla, moved the kids, etc. Now this thyroid scare and the weight gain humanizes her. It is something that would happen- even to the "perfect" person. Note that the doctor called her a middle aged housewife. How much should that have stung- but she let it go. Betty is no longer the ice queen model Bryn Mawr princesss, and this is good. She has to deal with in laws- new territory since Don had no family. It is good and different to see this. It will be interesting to see how it turns out. (I personally think that the "benign" isn't)

I am curiouis though was the actress that plays Betty pregnant when they filmed this season or was this just baby weight or was this a fat suit? Her neck looked really swollen and that was not from the thyroid tumor. I wish I had looked at her hands. They can't really hide skinny hands if they have someone in a fat suit. I have it on DVR and may look at that this evening.

I thought it looked like a fat suit, too. It looked very unnatural.

I agree, I think it was a fat suit. Photos of very pregnant January Jones are online...she's basically a thin woman with a huge belly.

One of my favorite moments last night was when the Doctor assured Betty that middle-aged women often struggle with their weight...Betty is what, 32? :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter