Mackinac Island

2Tiggers

DIS Veteran
I need some a help with planning a Mackinac Island trip.

Where do you stay on the island? I will consider Mackinac City as well.

Can you bring your own bikes on the island?

What are some of the things are there to do?

Thank you!!!

mackinaw island - ride bikes, visit fort, have lunch at the grand hotel, butterfly houses, carriage tours, FUDGE, shopping

Mackinaw city - more shopping, historical sites(fort, sawmill, lighthouse nearby)outdoor waterpark, mini golf

http://www.mackinaw-city.com/

I believe you can bring your own bikes but there is an additional fee for the boat which is already expensive.

I grew up an hour from there and now live about 2 hrs from there and have only been a handful of times

I FLOVE Mackinaw, my dd calls it "her" island, so I think you'll have a great time.

Bring your own bikes if you can, its cheaper than renting. Renting bikes by the hour = $$. You can see how much the ferry lines charge to bring your bike over online. Star Line, Arnold and ... I can't remember the third one... are the ferry companies.

You can stay at Mission Point reort, the very expesive Grand Hotel, the Perry Hotel or a slew of b&bs on island, or any chain hotel in Mackinaw City. Staying on island is pretty pricey, so we usually stay in Mackinaw City.

How long are you planning to be in the area? Here's what we usually do:
1. One day totally on island. We shop, go for a carriage tour, see the butteryfly house, bike the perimiter of the island (8 mi of flat roadway, very nice), maybe visit the fort, browse the gift shops.

2. Visit Tahquamenon Falls and Whitefish point in the UP. Its about an hour or so from the bridge and the falls are quite beautiful.

3. Visit the big outdoor mall and downtown area in Mackinaw City and hang out there awhile before heading home.

Have a great time, I can't wait to head up there again in July.

[/your friendly spend-your-money-in-Michigan travel advisory service]

I FLOVE Mackinaw, my dd calls it "her" island, so I think you'll have a great time.

Bring your own bikes if you can, its cheaper than renting. Renting bikes by the hour = $$. You can see how much the ferry lines charge to bring your bike over online. Star Line, Arnold and ... I can't remember the third one... are the ferry companies.

You can stay at Mission Point reort, the very expesive Grand Hotel, the Perry Hotel or a slew of b&bs on island, or any chain hotel in Mackinaw City. Staying on island is pretty pricey, so we usually stay in Mackinaw City.

How long are you planning to be in the area? Here's what we usually do:
1. One day totally on island. We shop, go for a carriage tour, see the butteryfly house, bike the perimiter of the island (8 mi of flat roadway, very nice), maybe visit the fort, browse the gift shops.

2. Visit Tahquamenon Falls and Whitefish point in the UP. Its about an hour or so from the bridge and the falls are quite beautiful.

3. Visit the big outdoor mall and downtown area in Mackinaw City and hang out there awhile before heading home.

Have a great time, I can't wait to head up there again in July.

[/your friendly spend-your-money-in-Michigan travel advisory service]

My kids loved rowing over the the island at the lower falls and hiking out into the river and smaller falls.

Wanted to add that the kids also, enjoyed the Bear ranch. DS-10 got licked in the face.

http://www.stonecliffe-condos.com/

which is near

http://www.theinnatstonecliffe.com/
(they shared a pool when we went - these properties are really off the beaten path by at least 2 miles I'd think! beyond Grand Hotel)

They are not near the downtown - we brought our own bikes and LOVED that we werent in the "hub" Teh Stonecliff Condos remind me of the Disney DVC properties - Grand Hotel, we go to High Tea - lovely...

with family - I'd definately do Mission Point - its closer, but keep in mind the Island is so far north, that they dont have air conditioning (99% of the time its too cool, and breezy to need a/c... but some of our HOT summers, it was stifling up there too!)

we also enjoyed the Butterfly Museum - awesome, we stopped at the Visitor Center (I think it used to be down the street after the main shopping area towards Mission Point!) and got ideas -

I would stay in a hotel off the island - St. Ignace or Mackinaw City.

Visit the Fort in Mackinaw City. Also there is a water park in Mackinaw City.
Going over to the island is costly and if you bring your bikes with you that is extra. It might be cheaper to rent bikes on the island than to bring them over.

Like others have said the falls are a nice trip, going to the Soo Locks is interesting, Oswalds Bears is a fun trip that kids really like, Mission Point is nice as well. My family loves going to the U.P.

I love the Island, but my husband thinks it's too overpriced. Remember to get some fudge while there!

Have a great trip!
Michelle

Ok, as a life-long Michigander I have to say it:

It is Mackinaw City, and Mackinac Island

They are spelled different.:)

Staying on the Island is great, but expensive. It is very cool, however, to fall asleep listening to the clip clop of horses as they go down the street.

There are 3 major ferry companies going to/from the island. We always use the Aronold line, as it is the only one that has restrooms on all of the boats.

There is a fort on the island that you can visit. They have different demonstations, such as cannon firing, and gun usage. It is very interesting if you are into history at all. You can rent bikes and bike around the island too. Plus there are a ton of different gift shops with any kind of souvineer imaginable.

Even if you don't stay on the island, make sure you visit it. :)

We have done both (actually three) - stayed on the Island, stayed in Mackinaw City at a hotel and camped in St. Ignance at the State Park. All three have their advantages and disadvantages. Which one I pick depends on the amount of money we want to spend vs. relaxation. I find staying on the Island to be more relaxing - really there isn't any where to hurry to. Camping the least relaxing (for me, for dh it is the most relaxing).

We usually bring our own bikes over if we are planning on biking around the Island or if we are staying overnight. If we are just planning on walking around town, seeing the Fort and the butterfly house, we don't.

I second seeing Whitefish Point and the falls if you are going up that way. Breathtaking views.

Emily

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter