MacGyver question

TheGoofster

Old Foggie
So, we just started watching the new MacGyver, and I have a question which I can't really seem to find a good answer for doing a quick search (the names just don't seem to match up). My question is, what is the relationship between this new MacGyver and the original MacGeyver? Is he the original MacGyver's son? His grandson? or is he not really supposed to be related to the original?
I appreciate any feedback on this all-important question :thumbsup2

There isn't any relation as far as I know.

And I'm not sure if this will help, but it's set in the JAG/NCIS-verse via a connection to the reboot Hawaii Five-O.

OK, That would make sense, because they don't seem to mention the original macGyver whenever they mention the new MacGyver's family. Now what about Jack Dalton? Is he just supposed to be a newever version of the original as well, or he is actually supposed to be related to the original trouble-maker Jack Dalton?

I love this show. Did not really watch the original. I also like the reboot for Magnum and had enjoyed Hawaii 5-0. Shame that ended.

Yep. Reboot, just like the new Magnum PI.

I only watched a few episodes of the earlier one. I like the ensemble cast and character development in the new series.

With Magnum, I liked the previous one, and this new one was hard because it's a complete copy (except with a female Higgins) of the original. I don't care for it as much as the new MacGuyver.

I've read that NCIS: Hawaii is in the works. There's probably some potential to move characters over if they want.

I do appreciate that Magnum uses some of the secondary characters from Five-O to keep that continuity

McGuyver like Magnum is just a reboot of something that used to be a popular show. Often times, the original characters have aged and they need someone younger to fill the part. The McGuyver contrived solutions invented to solve various issues seem far fetched & unrealistic, but that seems to add to the overall show's theme. While I liked the original NCIS series, they have now replaced virtually every one of the supporting characters, so the show just seems different. I don't find the spinoff in different cities with other cast members as good as the original. Even the original seems to be running out of ideas for new plots.

McGuyver like Magnum is just a reboot of something that used to be a popular show. Often times, the original characters have aged and they need someone younger to fill the part. The McGuyver contrived solutions invented to solve various issues seem far fetched & unrealistic, but that seems to add to the overall show's theme. While I liked the original NCIS series, they have now replaced virtually every one of the supporting characters, so the show just seems different. I don't find the spinoff in different cities with other cast members as good as the original. Even the original seems to be running out of ideas for new plots.

Agree re: NCIS. I do watch the original and the New Orleans one, but NO only when I don't feel like watching anything else (we stream on CBS All Access). Never got into the LA one.

The original NCIS does feel a bit stilted this year. I'll keep watching just because I've watched it since it began, but it's nothing I look forward to being released.

^^ I agree about NCIS in those other cities. I don't watch often enough to know the 'back story' on the various characters and it seems the storylines don't make as much sense when that is the case. Even the DC NCIS had a recent storyline where the younger medical examiner apparently lost his wife and it seemed to be related to covid. I assumed I had missed a few recent episodes, but from reading some other articles they just dropped that news on viewers with no prior background. With most TV shows, even if part of a series, I like when individual shows stand on their own so you can still enjoy watching. I find shows less enjoyable when you have to get to the end of an episode to understand what you saw earlier.

The McGuyver contrived solutions invented to solve various issues seem far fetched & unrealistic, but that seems to add to the overall show's theme.
I do like that they try to at least explain the science behind what McGyver is doing. I presume that, similar to the show Numb3rs, they have a consultant to help with that.

It's new versions of the same characters. Think more along the lines of Superman. How many actors have played Superman now? Weather it Christopher Reeves or Dean Cain playing him, he's still Superman.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter