MacBook vs MacBook Air

The other thing about the Macbook Pro is the exterior is made of aluminum instead of plastic. I am a tech director for a school. We are looking at Macs for 1 to 1 down the road. Many tech directors have told me go for the Pros over the regular because of better durability with the kids.

I have been using a Pro for the past year. I am very pleased with it. So much so that DH and I have switched to an IMac at home. Apple's website has some great videos for when you get started going from PC to Mac.

Good luck!

The newest generation of the macbook air is so much faster than the macbook, even tho it has a slower processor, because it uses a flash module instead of a traditional spinning hard drive. The macbook air also features instant on, so it is more like an ipad. But I would make a list of things she wants in a laptop before I buy anything

The newest generation of the macbook air is so much faster than the macbook, even tho it has a slower processor, because it uses a flash module instead of a traditional spinning hard drive. The macbook air also features instant on, so it is more like an ipad. But I would make a list of things she wants in a laptop before I buy anything

Thanks for the tips. What is the difference between the Mac book and MacBook pro?

The MacBook Pro's have more Speed and raw Power. It comes with the latest and fastest processors in the 15 and 17 inch models, has a better graphics card/engine and you can put up to 8 GB or RAM in them.

These are machines for IT professionals, Graphic and Multimedia professionals, Power Users, and High-end gamers. It's basically a high-end desktop in a portable package. Or for people who don't want to buy a computer again for a looong time, since it will take a lot to "outgrow".

I'll second this suggestion. You get more computer for the money. I've bought a bunch of stuff from Apple in their refurb store and had no problem at all. Right now we've got 3 MBP's in the house, the oldest of which is probably 4 years old and still going strong.

You get a full 1 yr warrantee on the refurbs, just like the brand new ones. Also, you qualify for a $100 rebate on a printer if you buy it at the same time.

Me too. I only buy refurb from Apple. They tend to last forever.

It's because when something is returned to Apple to be able to sell it as a refurbished unit they must test every part in the machine before it can be resold. If you buy a brand new one, it just comes off the assembly line and you might get one where something isn't quite right, but won't know it since it not as thoroughly tested before it is boxed up and shipped.

The one benefit to the Macbook Air and the other side of the smaller storage space coin is that the flash memory will likely last longer as opposed to a spinning hard drive. I know my macbook which I have had for two years recently had a hard drive failure but I use it every day with me across my college campus so it gets a lot of useage and movement. Might help with the durability.

It should - Flash memory should last longer. For regular hard-drives the average life span is 3-5 years normal use. If it's in a laptop though, average goes to around 2-3 years because of all the movement. Flash drives have no moving parts to get messed up like regular hard-drives do.

Every 2 years I always back everything up and just replace my drive so I don't loose anything in my laptop. I'm hoping prices go down on the flash drive - I would like to try one of those for my next one.

OKWL and CBiM,

Glad to see other referb enthusiasts. I just received three Referb iPod Touches I bought for the holidays. Well, two were for the holidays, one for me now :). They were shipped directly from Shenzhen China where they were completely re-manufactured and tested. You don't get blemished or simply reboxed merchandise. I have bought a Mac Mini, Time Capsule, and numerous iPods. All were flawless when received.

I'm not against refubished. However, do they look new? Is there any way to tell they are refurbished? I'm looking at Amazon for the simple reason that they are about $50 cheaper, and I don't pay sales tax. I will have to pay sales tax through Apple. That negates a lot of the savings.

I'm not against refubished. However, do they look new? Is there any way to tell they are refurbished? I'm looking at Amazon for the simple reason that they are about $50 cheaper, and I don't pay sales tax. I will have to pay sales tax through Apple. That negates a lot of the savings.

They absolutely look brand new. No way at all to tell they weren't new.

One thing that Apple does it make it easy to make a decision on a computer....by only having a handful of choices. Its not as overwhelming when trying to decide a windows based machine to buy.

I'm not against refubished. However, do they look new? Is there any way to tell they are refurbished?

Every refurb product I have had looks brand spankin' new. I agree with other posters as well about them holding up very well. I have not had a non-refurb machine at work on more than 10 years and every one has worked beautifully until I am told it is time to upgrade.

My Macbook is refurb as well. I completely forgot until reading all the pro refurb comments! The fact that I forgot it was refurbed speaks for itself. And unline some other companies (cough cough Gateway) Apple doesn't treat you any different as far as warranties go on refurbs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter