MAC points Manager?

pjpoohbear

<font color=blue>Back in DVC point Debt!<br><font
I was wondering if there was a deciated program for managering DVC points for the MAC Os, and how about a planner. I have used both on my PC, but have switched to a Mac Powerbook as my primary and would like to included this to my DVC management options.

Penny

I searched the mac site for a widget...no luck. Be sure to post if you find anything...I too would be interested in this.

I am also VERY interested in a program for mac. There is a Disney countdown widget but I'd like something to manage points.

Any DVC mac gurus out there??

:stir: :stir: :stir:

magicmama said:
I am also VERY interested in a program for mac. There is a Disney countdown widget but I'd like something to manage points.

Any DVC mac gurus out there??

:stir: :stir: :stir:

I'm a Mac user and I've thought about trying to build one using Filemaker. I think it would be possible. I'd be interested in talking to other Mac users about what a DVC manager for the Mac should be capable of.

I would want points used per reservation, banking, borrowing, auto point refill for each year, in the reservation history a quick way to list short details (place, type of room, dates.) Maybe a banking reminder. A way to track mulitple contracts with different use years. Anyone else?
penny

Ps Iankh, are you crusing on the 12/09 cruise or the 12/03?

I agree with pjpoohbear.
Making one with filemaker pro would work but it would be better as a stand alone program. And a widget would be a nice addition. There is a web-based points manager and one by Caskbill, which is only for PCs. Didn't find the link to Caskbill's download page but here is the one for the web-based points manager.

http://www.dvcplanner.net/

I have Filemaker Pro, but not the developer version. I believe the difference is with the developer version you can create stand alone applications that do not require the user to actually have Filemaker loaded on their system.

Last year I started to map out and flow chart the relationships between the data and various fields, but didn't get too much further.

I'm only sort of quasi technical. The one challenge, I thought would be a way of maintaining the points charts year after year.

I was not so worried about the banking and borrowing. That seemed a bit simplier. The deadlines were a bit perplexing. I think it is doable, it just requires some focused effort.

A widget would be VERY cool, but that requires a real developer, something that is beyond my capabilities. Although there is a new widget out there for WDW trip planning.

(PS - pjpoohbear - we sail on the 10th of December on the 4 night)

I would assume that you might have enter points charts for the next year but sometimes just the dates change so that might not be too hard to do. (not as much to enter every year... maybe the user could just change the dates for the 'seasons' and make corrections every year or provide an update????)

If you decide to make one - I'm not a filemaker pro expert but I'll be glad to test it for you. There will be many Dis mac users that would be very grateful.

In any case - Thanks for even thinking about it!

:Pinkbounc :bounce:

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have not forgotten about a points manager for the Mac. I had just been sidetracked a bit with normal work life and other stuff.

I have started working on it again, and it is coming along nicely. I am not really a technical person, so it probably it taking me a bit longer than it would for someone with a programming background.

First of all, it will not be limited to the Macintosh platform but will also run on Windows. A cross platform trip DVC planning and management center.

The way it seems to be coming along, it will be more of a DVC Trip Planning Center than just a point manager.

I have got it to the point where it does calculate booking and even multiple rooms and room types for a trip. But the way I am going it will also manage trip planning, daily plans, ADRs, and provide Passporter style daily print-outs. Like a I said, trip planning in addition to points management.

So, that is my update for now. Please be patient, as it is a bit complicated.

It is built on Filemaker Pro, so I also have to figure out how I can cheaply upgrade to a Filemaker Pro Advanced license which will allow me to create distributable stand-alone versions, which will essentially be an application.

If you are interested, please PM me and I'll keep a list of folks who would like progress updates.

Thanks.

iankh said:
I just wanted to let everyone know that I have not forgotten about a points manager for the Mac. I had just been sidetracked a bit with normal work life and other stuff.

I have started working on it again, and it is coming along nicely. I am not really a technical person, so it probably it taking me a bit longer than it would for someone with a programming background.

First of all, it will not be limited to the Macintosh platform but will also run on Windows. A cross platform trip DVC planning and management center.

The way it seems to be coming along, it will be more of a DVC Trip Planning Center than just a point manager.

I have got it to the point where it does calculate booking and even multiple rooms and room types for a trip. But the way I am going it will also manage trip planning, daily plans, ADRs, and provide Passporter style daily print-outs. Like a I said, trip planning in addition to points management.

So, that is my update for now. Please be patient, as it is a bit complicated.

It is built on Filemaker Pro, so I also have to figure out how I can cheaply upgrade to a Filemaker Pro Advanced license which will allow me to create distributable stand-alone versions, which will essentially be an application.

If you are interested, please PM me and I'll keep a list of folks who would like progress updates.

Thanks.

Wow! Awesome work! I work in a computer shop and was looking at Filemaker Pro the other day and I have to say that I really admire all the work you are putting in for us. THANKS! :love: Would love to get updates on your progress.

Penny

If you have connections to a university, then most will have a licence software office, I checked mine and they do not have a licence for Filemaker Pro 8 advance. I did find a full version Filemaker Pro 8 Advance at an university website in the states and the license price was 120.00 USD. Not a bad price at all.

The Upgrade, from filemaker pro 8 to Advance, at retail is around $300 USD. And an educational upgrade license looks to be around $90 USD. The educational upgrade license would have to be carried by the institiution you have a connection to.

Penny

pjpoohbear said:
If you have connections to a university, then most will have a licence software office, I checked mine and they do not have a licence for Filemaker Pro 8 advance. I did find a full version Filemaker Pro 8 Advance at an university website in the states and the license price was 120.00 USD. Not a bad price at all.

The Upgrade, from filemaker pro 8 to Advance, at retail is around $300 USD. And an educational upgrade license looks to be around $90 USD. The educational upgrade license would have to be carried by the institiution you have a connection to.

Penny

Penny, thanks for the suggestion. I do have a connection to a non-profit educational institution, any recommendations where I can order it from? I looked on the Filemaker site and they have an offer to upgrade from Pro to Advanced that runs out on June 30th.

Any advice you can offer would be great.

Also, for everyone else, the biggest nut to crack were the point charts. Date ranges were easy, but even within a date range, there are point differences by day of week (Friday adn Saturday), so therefore let's say 9/1 to 9/30 might be adventure season but each room type points change within the range for a Friday or Saturday. I solved that problem.

I may also need volunteers to proof read the point charts to make sure that I got them right.

I'll volunteer to check it for you. (I don't need Filemaker do I?)

I know that with universities you would get it at the central software license office, here on my campus it is at both the main library and at my store, the campus computer shop. With other groups they may have to order the minimum 10 sets to get a good deal. Sorry I can't help more.
Penny

I'll be glad to test something. I have access to one mac with an older filemaker pro (4.0) & another that does not have filemaker pro.

First of all, thanks everyone for the words of encourgagment. Please be patient, it is going to be slow going.

Regarding proofing the point charts, the only thing that would be required is Microsoft Excel. It is what I'm using to create the point tables, it's a good tool for creating the data, and will later be converted and imported into the database.

As I said, I am not technical, so I am sure there are more elegant ways to deal with point charts, but creating logic to analyze a date, determine, if it is Monday through Thursday, or Friday or Saturday and then lookup the right value is beyond my meagre abilities.

The good news is after more than a month, I managed to figure out how to get some sort of day of the year look-up to work and total.

The table are not complicated, just tedious, if you can imagine, that a resort such as OKW (my guinea pig) has 4 room types times 365 days times 2 years, or 2920 point nights (I shudder to think about BWV).

So, proofreading, should anyone volunteer would be to make sure that my dates are correct and the point by room type are correct.

Another update - I have found a source so I can upgrade from Filemaker 7 Pro to Filemaker 8 Advanced.

This means that I will be able to create distributable runtime versions of the management center, that will not require you to have Filemaker Pro on you machine.

It's sort of like being able to create a stand-alone program.

Also, keep in mind that it should run on both Macintosh and Windows.

Now all I need is time to focus on building it out and making it pretty. I've been pretty focused on just getting the mechanics of reservation and point calculation working, but as I previously reported, I've figured that out.

So, there are two hurdles crossed, point calculation and having a way to distribute the program.

One or two people have PM'd me, but please if you're interested, send me a PM. I'm looking for a group of people to bounce ideas off of as I continue on with this.

My friend PJ sent me here . . .

Glad to see that there are some other Mac users out there, and exciting to see that someone is working on a DVC Manager for the Mac!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter