• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MAC or PC?

SeansMom

DIS Veteran
As much as I hate to spend the $$$, it's time. Our old Gateway has gotten wayyyyyy past its prime.

In searching for a new *green* computer I found the Apple Mac Mini. I haven't found much in the PC world to compete (for example, the casing is aluminum vs. plastic, ever so much easier to recycle :woohoo:.)

The thing is, I've never owned a MAC and I'm wondering how much "crosses over". For a recent example of software, can you use TurboTax on a Mac?

Also, I hate Vista and have found good company in not liking it. I have XP on our home computer, but Vista when I was working. Any input there?

I'm sure there are a million other questions, but I'd really love to hear from MAC owners (or former owners).

Can't help you with crossover info, but can tell you that it is Mac all the way. Once you convert to Mac you will seriously wonder why you waited so long.

Go.Mac. Now. Never look back. :teeth:

I'm considering making the switch, too. I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch to an iMac - just need to do it! There are some pretty good deals on refurbished Macs on the Apple website.

We bought our Mac Mini last year, and I love it. I never plan on buying a PC again.

MAC = seriously overpriced. You will about 3 times as much for equal performance. This from an IT director who has done the ROI analysis a few times...

Love my Mac.

to answer your 1st question, yes you can use Turbo Tax on a Mac. Most mainstream software is available in both Mac and Windows versions. Some specialized software is not but if it is an absolute must you could always install Windows on your Mac (for this I would 100% recommend XP as Vista is too resource intensive.)

I'm not sure what you are getting at with the XP v Vista as Mac uses their own operating system. OSX Leopard.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

I am also a HUGE fan of Apple's customer service. I've had both my Mac's in for different reasons during the last 4 months and each time Apple has made the necessary adjustments for free. One was a repair and one was that I had something configured incorrectly so it was running slow. DH also dropped his iPhone (full disclosure - I dropped it!) and the apple store replaced it for free as dropping it shouldn't have caused the problem that happened. All GREAT service, which has made us loyal.

Mac will also recycle your old computer.

I'm debating hooking a mini to our TV.

Macs rule. There's nothing you can't do on a Mac without more style than on a PC.

Rich::

THe only thing I can tell you is that my son's MAC never has problems. No adware spyware malware, no glitches, no blue screens of death, no screen freezes, no crashes.

It works well all the time.

It does cost alot more. But I can tell you that when this HP notebook finally crashes - I will go for keeping my sanity with a MAC Book

Of note, for $99 extra, you can get One on One and essestially one day a week, you can go in with a trainer for a private one hour lesson on your MAC,IPOD,IPHONE. This includes software, photography, movies.

I will tell you something I never see with PC people.They get their really old MACs fixed. BEcause they are that good.

But yeah, alot more expensive. The only major discount they offer is if you are a tracher or a college student.

Could someone who has had both please explain why a PC or Mac is better? I have always chosen a PC because they're cheaper, more software is available, and there is lots of free stuff available (linux, free applications etc). I have never had problems with viruses that weren't easily fixed, and the only PC I ever had just die was ancient and had a power supply problem. :confused3

I do get that Macs are better for some situations--my photographer BIL swears by them, but he does a lot of photo and video editing. Is there any reason someone who uses a PC for word processing, net surfing, and computer gaming should get a Mac?

We bought a MAC and a PC within a year of each other. Both laptops. Both pretty much top of the line.

The PC and VISTA give me a PITA. The MAC is a superbly crafted machine.

My husband curses every day that we did not buy another MAC.

I love the Mac Powerbook. I use it all of the time, and I would use it if it were made out of plastic and kryptonite!

If money is a problem and you can't afford a Mac and still don't want to subject yourself to Windows, you could always buy a cheap PC and install a free copy of Linux on it. You'd need to be technically savvy, but not as much as you'd expect to be.

That or one of my fave operating systems of all time, Haiku OS. VERY cool ;)

Can't help you with crossover info, but can tell you that it is Mac all the way. Once you convert to Mac you will seriously wonder why you waited so long.

Go.Mac. Now. Never look back. :teeth:

:rotfl: I guess that's a big thumbs up!

We bought our Mac Mini last year, and I love it. I never plan on buying a PC again.

One question about the mini...have you ever wanted the next size up? We live in a very rural area but I may have to drive 90 miles to check it out in person....

MAC = seriously overpriced. You will about 3 times as much for equal performance. This from an IT director who has done the ROI analysis a few times...

Actually, I don't see the overpriced part. I was comparing (I thought, but maybe not) similiar dual processors and storage capacity with Mac and HP/Dell/Gateway and it seemed to be about the same, but then if you factor in that I wanted something "greener", then you really have to look. Mac seems to have the "greener" line down to a science, while the other companies do a poor job of it.

Love my Mac.

to answer your 1st question, yes you can use Turbo Tax on a Mac. Most mainstream software is available in both Mac and Windows versions. Some specialized software is not but if it is an absolute must you could always install Windows on your Mac (for this I would 100% recommend XP as Vista is too resource intensive.)

I am also a HUGE fan of Apple's customer service. I've had both my Mac's in for different reasons during the last 4 months and each time Apple has made the necessary adjustments for free. One was a repair and one was that I had something configured incorrectly so it was running slow. DH also dropped his iPhone (full disclosure - I dropped it!) and the apple store replaced it for free as dropping it shouldn't have caused the problem that happened. All GREAT service, which has made us loyal.

Mac will also recycle your old computer.

I'm debating hooking a mini to our TV.

THANK YOU...I think I'd need windows for school, but I'm trying to get an answer from the powers that be.

I'm REALLY glad to know about their service. I have a new HP printer (less than six months) and I've currently logged 5 phone calls and spoken to many foreign techs and gotten NO resolution. It makes me really shy of an HP computer since they are so unwilling to help with a printer.

Macs rule. There's nothing you can't do on a Mac without more style than on a PC.Rich::

:dance3: Style is good :).

THe only thing I can tell you is that my son's MAC never has problems. No adware spyware malware, no glitches, no blue screens of death, no screen freezes, no crashes.
I will tell you something I never see with PC people.They get their really old MACs fixed. BEcause they are that good.
The only major discount they offer is if you are a tracher or a college student.

Actually, the whole adware/spyware issue is one reason I'm considering a Mac. Good to know your experience. AND, I'm going back to school for my master's and I am eligible for a small discount :).

I love the Mac Powerbook. I use it all of the time, and I would use it if it were made out of plastic and kryptonite!

:laughing:

If money is a problem and you can't afford a Mac and still don't want to subject yourself to Windows, you could always buy a cheap PC and install a free copy of Linux on it. You'd need to be technically savvy, but not as much as you'd expect to be.

That or one of my fave operating systems of all time, Haiku OS. VERY cool ;)

Thanks for the option. Something to keep in mind if the Mac doesn't work out. Now that I've read (and re-read) all your comments, I think a trip to the store may be in my near future.

DIS peeps rock ! :jumping1:

I disagree with this. A mac mini is very affordable and comes with a lot more than a PC does.

I agree with the others, you will not regret the decision to get a Mac. They are very stable and the Mac Mini I'm using right now runs for months at a time without being shut down. It doesn't crash like a PC.

I'm editing to add that our Mac Mini is five years old and I run the full version of Adobe CS3 on it because I'm a graphic designer. It isn't as fast as some of the towers but for home it's great. I've done some major designing on this machine and it doesn't even have a GB of RAM (however I do recommend getting at least 2 of you can).

I don't think you will regret the purchase. Good luck.

We are about 2 weeks into a new iMAC with the 20" screen and WE LOVE IT!! The major selling point for me was the fact that a MAC rarely freezes up and that you do not have to install any anti-virus software because they rarely if ever get viruses :) We have always been pc users so I was a little worried about going from one to the other but honestly, it has been a great transition. My kids (8 & 11) absolutely love it! It is very user friendly and while I have not even begun to understand all that it does it was a breeze to set-up and start using. I went to the Apple store to have them show me the highlights of a MAC and once I did that I was sold. I am not a professional photographer but I do love to take pics and the iphoto software is awesome. We also purchased the MAC version of Microsoft office and it has been a breeze to go from our old word documents to the new word documents in pages (MAC's version of word).

We paid $1179 for our iMAC which I believe is $20 cheaper than the Apple store price. The other awesome thing about the iMAC is that it takes up very little space. There is no tower and everything except the mouse and keyboard are self contained within the 1 1/2" deep screen. We keep it out in our kitchen on a small built in desk. The clarity of the screen is also fantastic.

I am not computer savvy so my feedback comes from an average mom who basically uses the computer to download pics, some occasional word processing documents and alot of web surfing. I agree with the first poster who said once you go MAC you will not go back. We are hooked :goodvibes

If you do get one and have kids, the photobooth software is hysterical. Our entire family spent a good portion of last Sat. making videos and different pics of ourselves in photobooth and I was crying I was laughing so hard :)

I have never had problems with viruses that weren't easily fixed,

I am starting my fifth year with a Mac and have NEVER had a virus. Not one! So I have never had to worry about fixing a virus. As someone on these boards told me after I got my Mac, "Welcome to a virus free world!"

We :love: our MacBook! I was totally against it when my DH wanted to buy it, but now I'm in love with it. I'll never buy another PC. Now if I could just get a Mac at work!

Everyone in my entire family has a MAC including my DS9, we all love them!!

Based on many comparisons I've read...from Popular Mechanics to Consumer Reports to many computing magazines, a MAC cost pretty much the same as COMPARABLY equipped PC...and the MAC WORKS.

You've got to compare apples to apples...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter