M.riviera good cruise but no mexican food????

GCORTEZA

Earning My Ears
fresh off disney wonder cruise 3/4sailing. everyone enjoyed for most part. 80s weather puertovallarta and cabo sanlucas. fellow table mate slight complaint of where's the authentic mexican food????, (go figure ure on a mexican riviera cruise) local TACO BELL restaurants will even beat what they put out for their attempt... beans cheese tortilla chips on pizza =mexican pizza?? chips cheese beans= chilaqueles?? eggs +salsa = mexican omelet???? being from los angeles and many cruisers of mexican/hispanic decent this seemed to be a let down:mad::mad:. u had to get a taco/burrito/or enchilada at port if u wanted one.. not even a warm torilla or spanish rice anywhere on board...... small other complaints salads are same base salads they use for every dish nightly, steaks /seafood etc taste same each night no matter which menu or restaurant. kids dinner menu except for entree of day is same fried foods from lunch pool deck? i prefer my child not to eat pizza or burger fries for dinner.....

Funny!!! Being from Los Angeles too, we're used to great Mexican food anytime we want it, so it wasn't something that we missed - but I completely see your point!! For others sailing who are not fortunate enough to live here, it would be a great idea to have onboard.
As for the kids' meals, our son usually ordered what he wanted from the adult menu. No pizza or burgers for dinner for that kid!!

We're from New Mexico and Mexican food is part of our daily diet. I was pretty bumbed that there wasn't a Mexican themed night - maybe in place of the regular menu at Parrot Cay. I guess we must have missed even seeing the "Mexican" menu items but it sounds like that was just fine. We still had a great trip and really loved it!

I agree, there should have been a Mexican Theme night. But I also don't remember seeing a single Mexican Food item anywhere on the ship so it seems like they are at least trying?

Yeah, the TexMex BBB buffet that one day didn't quite cut it. I love Mexican food and wish they'd take advantage of that "theme" at some point!

This is a big disappointment to me. I would think they'd get rid of the Parrot Cay "Caribbean" menu and put a Mexican (or Mexican-lite) one in its place.

I went to college for two years in New Mexico, and developed a love for New Mexican, New Mexican, and Tex-Mex cuisine, and while I cook many meals from these cuisines at home, always like it much better when someone else does the work for me.

We'll be doing the Panama Canal Eastbound in December, and are really hoping for a Mexican menu at least one night in a dining room.

I was born and raised in Los Angeles, but by far the best mexican food I ever had was in San Franciso, a little dump right above a BART station. I am on the LA - Vancouver repo next year, I plan on leading an excursion to taqueria farolito. Drooo. :cloud9:

Then again, there is some pretty darn good Mexican food in LA too...very odd they dont have taco / burrito / street taco night on the Wonder

hmmm... well I hate to be the wet blanket, but I'm from New Mexico, and mexican food is clearly a big part of our diet, and I personally am glad there is no "mexican buffet" (or mexican theme) in the main dining rotation. Most of these meals are more fine dining, and I want someting different when we cruise, not what we can just get at home.

As far as the BBB buffet, I agree if they are going to do a Mexican theme, then for goodness sake, do it right on an MR cruise! Kind of silly to serve poor "americanized" mexican food on a cruise to Mexico :)

hmmm... well I hate to be the wet blanket, but I'm from New Mexico, and mexican food is clearly a big part of our diet, and I personally am glad there is no "mexican buffet" (or mexican theme) in the main dining rotation. Most of these meals are more fine dining, and I want someting different when we cruise, not what we can just get at home.

As far as the BBB buffet, I agree if they are going to do a Mexican theme, then for goodness sake, do it right on an MR cruise! Kind of silly to serve poor "americanized" mexican food on a cruise to Mexico :)

Yes - but sadly for those of us who have moved out of the state and miss GOOD Green Chili Mexican food (I was hoping for a little mexican cuisine ... but then we are going to Mexico so dining in Cabo should do it, right?)
:)

I will on the Fantasy in June and two of our stops on the Western Caribbean will be in Mexico....I would be ecstatic if they would add an authentic Mexican dinner one night.

And for those that don't like "Americanized Mexican Food", it's not all burritos, tacos and enchiladas. Good Mexican restaurants have all kinds of fantastic entrees with seafood, chicken, pork and steak. I would love it if DCL would spice up the menu one night.

Ewwww.... To me, a cruise is "tropical". We just went to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan. Should we have had Mexican and Honduran food on the cruise??? GROSS. I want steel pan music and Caribbean themes on a tropical cruise. If I want Mexican food and mariachi music, I'll just drive into Houston. No thanks!!

Ewwww.... To me, a cruise is "tropical". We just went to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan. Should we have had Mexican and Honduran food on the cruise??? GROSS. I want steel pan music and Caribbean themes on a tropical cruise. If I want Mexican food and mariachi music, I'll just drive into Houston. No thanks!!

How does having some Mexican options on the the menu one night prevent the ship from having steel drums and tropical themes over 7 days? It's not the current menus are overloaded with Caribbean flavor now. Sure, there's a little, but mostly it's mostly steaks, chicken and some standard seafood.

I don't like seafood, but I recognize that a great many people do. If they had an all-seafood menu one night with one steak option, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

If DCL bans all types of cuisine that a few people find to be gross, the menus are going to be very short indeed.

WOW.

P.S. - Cozumel is in Mexico. Just in case you didn't know that.

We love Mexican food and have had it on non-DCL cruises. The 5-star chefs are used to doing gourmet food and just didn't have the "knack" for Mexican fare. If they can't do it right, never mind!

Yes - but sadly for those of us who have moved out of the state and miss GOOD Green Chili Mexican food (I was hoping for a little mexican cuisine ... but then we are going to Mexico so dining in Cabo should do it, right?)
:)

hehe... well said! If you miss good mexican food, best bet is to trust Mexico port restaurants, not DCL for good mexican food :thumbsup2

hehe... well said! If you miss good mexican food, best bet is to trust Mexico port restaurants, not DCL for good mexican food :thumbsup2

There are several threads on Cruise Critics over the last year or two about a place called 100% Agave in Costa Maya. I'm seriously thinking about going there in June. It's supposed to be fantastic. The owner even distills his own tequila and keeps a barrel in the restaurant.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter