• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

M & M tubes for pressed penny machines?

bunny213

DIS Veteran
Hi All...I want to make the holders for the money for the pressed penny machines...where do you find those tubes of M & M's ?? I don't seem to be having any luck.
also -what's the best method for shining up the pennies? Thanks..Barb

I'd say your best bet for the MM tubes would be to look where LOTS of candy is sold (huge variety), such as a large convenience store.

As for the pennies, I think we used a baking soda/water mixture to clean them off, using a toothbrush helps. I'd try to start out with cleaner pennies though, if possible to save some time. Some pennies just don't clean up well.

Editing to add: Also, a drug store like CVS, Walgreens, etc. might have the MM tubes. Oh, and I'd use an OLD toothbrush, lol. Forgot to add that all-important tid bit!

I found M&Ms in both large and small tubes at Toys R Us for our trip last fall. I would think they still carry them.

I always find them at Walgreens or CVS -- sometimes they are in with the seasonal candy or the odd candy (like the pacifiers, etc).

Liz

Target has the larger M&M's case by me. If you can't find and really want them...I would be happy to send some your way.

We always pick pre 1982 pennies as they have a higher copper content. The newer ones are a lot of zinc and can roll streaky and can age differently after rolled. Of course, I think the machines are made for the newer pennies so ours don't always roll to the same length

Anyways, for shining we have tried a lot of things (vinegar, ketchup, etc) and the one I think is easiest is comet. I just rub it on with my fingers and risnse off then pat dry.

Just as a note of warning:

I went thru security at the airport with the MM tubes filled with quarters in my purse and the screeners were very concerned I was carring a weapon in my bag :rolleyes1. They had me take it out and ran my stuff back thru with the tubes in one of the "little trays" that they use for small items.

I found my tubes at Walmart near the registers. We found them to be very handy

It seems we see those large tubes of M&Ms everywhere now but when we were looking for them the only place we found them was ToysRUs. I like to make one for myself too...for laundry quarters at Disney :) They are really handy.

Just as a note of warning:

I went thru security at the airport with the MM tubes filled with quarters in my purse and the screeners were very concerned I was carring a weapon in my bag :rolleyes1. They had me take it out and ran my stuff back thru with the tubes in one of the "little trays" that they use for small items.

I found my tubes at Walmart near the registers. We found them to be very handy

I've done the same thing!:upsidedow:blush: After two times going thru my carry on - finally realized what the problem was. I explained it to the security guy - luckily, he was very nice and understanding!!!!

I do this for both pressed pennnies and laundry money.:):wizard:

I got mine at Walgreens.

When I go thru airport security I take them out of my carryon and put them in a bin automatically. I haven't had any problems since I do that.

The only place I've seen them is in the check out isles at supermarkets. I don't eat M&M's though, so I haven't really been looking for them lately.

We had looked all over for them at one point with no luck. Finally, when we didn't need them anymore we found them at a dollar store and now I see them everywhere. Picked them up anyway and now we have them for our trip in 2 weeks. Also, the Mentos Gum container works great for holding the pennies you've already pressed.

As far a polishing, I use Brasso metal cleaner. Dab it on, wait a couple seconds, and buff them with a papertowel. They turn out great.

Just bought some at Walmart...check out line...saw them and thought..hey someday I could use those! LOL.

Great ideas on where to get the M&M's....I get the big ones at Party City.

Also, as far as pennies go....forget shining them...I go to the bank and ask for a brand new roll of pennies! They are always super shiney!

Supermarket and Wal-Mart candy sections (also found them at Wal-Mart checkouts).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter