Lyme disease

Mainemama

DIS Veteran
Hi dis friends! I am usually a visitor in this forum due to food allergies, but my DH has been quite ill and has just been diagnosed with Lyme disease. I can't predict how quickly he will respond to treatment, and our FL trip begins in 6 days ( Disney portion a bit later.) Staying out of sun will be a must, and he may continue to have fatigue, pain, vision, and hearing issues. Any suggestions or tips?

You may want to reschedule for when he is feeling better. This is a great example of why trip insurance is always a good idea.

Hi dis friends! I am usually a visitor in this forum due to food allergies, but my DH has been quite ill and has just been diagnosed with Lyme disease. I can't predict how quickly he will respond to treatment, and our FL trip begins in 6 days ( Disney portion a bit later.) Staying out of sun will be a must, and he may continue to have fatigue, pain, vision, and hearing issues. Any suggestions or tips?

I suffered through Lyme disease and found that the old DAC really helped with being able to make it through the day. I had large doses of Doxy so staying out of the sun was a must.

I would suggest you use the DAS. With the fatigue and severe pain that comes with Lyme it would be helpful to find a cool place to rest out of the sun. With the use of the DAS and FP+ you can make it work.

Sorry to hear your husband has been ill -- Lyme disease can be very challenging!

First, I'm sure you have already run this past his physician. But if not, please do. You indicate he hasn't had time to adjust to his meds - the doctor may want him closer until all is set.

For things like fatigue and pain - WDW will recommend he use a wheelchair or ECV. This will allow him to have a seat whenever/wherever he needs one, and will help him to conserve his energy. He does not need to remain seated at all times; the ECV or wheelchair can be parked if he wishes to walk and stretch his legs a while. The majority of attraction queues are accessible to ECVs or wheelchairs, for those that aren't you'll be directed accordingly (a few will require him to transfer from an ECV to a wheelchair provided at the attraction).

Vision and hearing concerns will need to be dealt with at each attraction. Just mention his needs to each CM you encounter along the way through the queue.

I suggest you plan for avoiding the sun with a large wide-brimmed hat and protective clothing. Most of the queues and attractions are indoors and air-conditioned, whereas most of his sun exposure will occur outside between attractions and moving around the park.

You certainly may speak with Guest Relations about a DAS. If qualified, this will allow your party to wait somewhere else, but it will not reduce the wait time and he will need to find somewhere out of the sun (while the lines may be shaded). Only Guest Relations can decide whether anyone qualifies for DAS, but he will have to explain his needs and not his diagnosis.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thanks! So, we have purchased several SPF shirts, and will pick up a big hat when we arrive! For once we did not buy insurance, but DH says he is happy to just hang out at the resort if need be. Most of our trip is actually on a key, where he can just kick back (in the shade!) His doc had no concerns, which did surprise me. He is refusing the idea of a wheelchair, but I am planting the seed that if he needs it, we can rent one! Thanks for the suggestions.

if you decide to rent a wheelchair rent from an offsite vendor as park ones can not be used to get to transportation back to your resort. depending on which resort chair could be handy getting around there also

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter