Lunch ideas to bring to the parks.

AnOtHeRdIsNeYfReAk

Self-Proclaimed Super Genius
Does anyone bring picnic type foods to the park? I'm trying to keep costs low and food is definitely the easiest way to do that for my family. I'd rather not carry a cooler backpack, but if I must, I will. So What types of food do you bring? I want to bring an actual lunch instead of snacks, so I'm looking for different ideas. Also where is the best place to eat in each park? I don't want to use any Quick Service tables, but I can't figure out where else to eat.

We bring peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and peanut butter and banana sandwiches. We bring bottle water and Gatorade to drink and then some snacks as well.

We pack pb and j usually. I make the sandwiches, cut them in half and stick them right back in the bread bag. We take water and juices as well as pretzels, nuts and other snacks. Sometimes, if the weather is not too hot, I'll take some ham and cheese sandwiches and keep them in a cooler.

With regards to where to eat we either find a bench or if its close to parade time stake our place and eat on the curb. Since its only sandwiches no need for a table.

I like to make my own "lunchables" use your favorite crackers, meat and cheese. Mix and match and you have several days of different lunches.

We've been lucky to have free dining the last several years, as well as will have it this year, so lunch is usually a CS restaurant. So, I can't speak to location. However, we always pack a picnic lunch for the zoo or local amusement parks. I do have a soft sided cooler bag that I use. I freeze water bottles and juice boxes the night before and use these to keep the food cold, along with an ice pack or two. Lunch is usually sandwiches: almond butter and jelly, or turkey breast, baked ham or just cheese (sometimes DS wants this). I sometimes bring Greek yogurt, too. Fruit, baked chips, nuts and something sweet usually round out the meal. I sometimes will bring dried fruit instead of fresh.

How about crustables, carrot sticks, celery, etc. You can get single serving PB cups (JIF) for the celery or put on crackers. Pre-packaged cookies and chips. No fuss no muss.

We usually bring things like PB&J sandwiches, crackers/pretzels, granola bars, Pop Tarts, bagels, fruit (bananas, apples or grapes) juice boxes, water bottles.

PB or Cheese crackers/ single serve fruit bowls/freeze water bottles and bring in fried chicken keep by bottles/pringles in can can be resealed/pudding in single serve cups/flavors for water/sliced up veggies served with dressing or dips ( save those from Micky D's+BK+Wendys)--Sandwhiches made on bagels hold up well and do not get soggy--

String cheese is good. Also, I found a 3 pack of the PB cups at the dollar tree. Use those for crackers or to dip apples/celery in. The cups of pudding or applesauce are good too. You could also get a couple CS meals and add the side items you brought to share between several people.

There is always canned corn. :rotfl2:

You are bad!!! I like that!!:laughing:

I've seen single serve frozen fruit at our local grocery store (by Dole, I think). Those would help keep whatever sandwiches you pack cold, and be ready to eat by lunch time. And some granola or trail mix and water or juice.

If you don't want to carry a bag around, you can always rent a locker.

What I've done in the past to save space is freeze Capri Suns the night before and use them as the cold packs (I do that in my kids' lunches for school.) Sandwiches are just like others said: PB&J are the norm, with something like the small packages of gummies, carrots, mini-Ritz sandwich crackers in baggies, etc. and it's all stuffed in a cooler-type backpack underneath our stroller. We also freeze bottles of water, and by the time you are pining for that cold water, it's defrosted and ice-cold, and you have a bottle to refill for the day. (We always make sure to have a small fridge in our room wherever we're going, and they always have that tiny little freezer space just big enough for 2 bottles of water.)

Canned corn is a doggone good idea though! I've got plenty of that! You think they'll let me bring in an opener? :lmao:

$5 foot longs. FIVE

:rotfl2: On just my last day trip there was a young couple eating Subways at the tables outside Caseys. Wish I had a dollar for every person I overheard comment about when they put a Subway in the park?

If you are trying to bring a substantial lunch to avoid all food costs, I suggest bringing a small cooler and putting it in a locker. Lugging a cooler around WDW would be a fun-killer for me, and I have BTDT packing food so we could afford to go on outings.

Here are lightweight things my scouts carry on hikes, where they obviously have no refrigeration:

~ pepperoni slices and crackers (get the small sleeves of ritz crackers and they fit great in a short pringles can or the round plastic container Wyler's mixes come in)
~ pepperoni sticks with babybel cheese in the wax packets, again with crackers
~ tortillas with pb / nutella / honey (JIF has single serve packages in multiple varieties, I put nutella in 1/4 cup re-usable containers, honey goes just fine in a 3 oz squeeze bottle for shampoo or salad dressing [just to be on the safe side, the honey container also goes in a plastic baggie]).
~ single serve tuna kits (they typically include mayo & relish packets and crackers in addition to the small tuna pack)
~ use dried fruit and trail mix as your crunch item

I realize this is not to everyone's taste, but it is easy to carry and needs no fridging. You can buy drinks at the park or take Crystal Light individual packets or Mio flavorings to add to water from the water fountains. We usually buy/take 2 bottles of water into the park with us (for 4 people to share) and refill throughout the day. The flavors take out the "ick" factor for those not used to Orlando water.

I'm planning on bringing cold pizza! We love it, and we're going to try out Giordano's, and save some for the next couple of days' breakfasts and lunches (we're staying offsite at Bonnet Creek). But I will bring a cooler and rent a locker, likely. Does anyone know how much a locker rental is for a day?

:rotfl2: On just my last day trip there was a young couple eating Subways at the tables outside Caseys. Wish I had a dollar for every person I overheard comment about when they put a Subway in the park?

:lmao: Too funny, we heard the same whispers along with "Why didn't we think of that?" :)

We also did the frozen Capri Suns and he like - just remember no straws allowed at AK :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter