Luggage

SeansMom

DIS Veteran
So here's the scoop: Our luggage is old and HEAVY. It's the heavy part that's getting me since airlines have gone to charging for bags, plus hauling around a heavy suitcase isn't much fun. SO, has anyone found a good brand of luggage that is lightweight, durable, and most importantly budget friendly? I've been looking online and the choices are, well, overwhelming!

BTW, I have a really cute set with MM on it, and I'll probably still use the smaller bag, but need at least one large bag to check.

Thanks!

We bought Eddie Bauer rolling duffels for our upcoming trip. Right now they are $40 off online and in the store!!

My dh travels quite a bit for work and the Samsonites have held up well. I love the wheels that turn in all directions. It makes it much easier to navigate through the airport and hotels when you can push the suitcase instead of always dragging it behind you. My young children can also help out because of this.
Most of ours came from Kohl's and I waited until it was on sale and I had a 30% off code to use. We also have a Samsonite outlet that opened up last year and they run good sales. It is also nice because if you have damage, you can take them there and have them sent for repair.

My dh travels quite a bit for work and the Samsonites have held up well. I love the wheels that turn in all directions. It makes it much easier to navigate through the airport and hotels when you can push the suitcase instead of always dragging it behind you. My young children can also help out because of this.
Most of ours came from Kohl's and I waited until it was on sale and I had a 30% off code to use. We also have a Samsonite outlet that opened up last year and they run good sales. It is also nice because if you have damage, you can take them there and have them sent for repair.

:thumbsup2 I second this -DH bought me the largest for Christmas one year from Kohl's-
I love the wheels that turn in all directions.

I actually have found really great prices on luggage at TJ Maxx, when I was there last, they had lightweight 4 wheel rolling bags...I picked up a bright orange set from Tommy Hilfiger for a really low price and love how easy they are to roll around. They've been on two flights with me and came out wonderfully (although a bit dirty) and had no issues with tears or broken pieces.

Thanks for the input. Do you find the Samsonites to be lightweight as well as easy to pull/push?

We live near an edie bauer outlet, I never thought to check there but will.

I travel at least 10,000 miles a month for work and it seems I'm always dragging around luggage - from the house to the airport, to the hotel, and back again. My guest room is a veritable graveyard for failed luggage. I currently use Samsonite exclusively and they hold up beautifully. They're also budget conscious in comparison to others. I've found that off brands don't seem to be as hardy, but on the plus side, you won't feel bad when baggage handling drop kicks them into the plane.

My co-worker has an Eddie Bauer set and, while beautiful, the bags don't fare any better than my set which I got for less than half the cost. Here are a few ideas you might want to think about:

1. It is absolutely worth the extra few bucks to get the 360 degree caster wheels (also called "spinners"), especially if you have kids. The traditional inline wheels tilt your suitcase oddly and can cause damage/stress on your wrists & arms. They also don't mose as well as the 360's. I swear by those spinners, they will change the way you think about moving luggage. As it is, you have your hands full in an airport...coordinating travel, shepherding family, etc. This makes transporting luggage so much easier - and if your kids are big enough, makes it easy for them to maneuver and help out as well.

2. I bought my recent Samsonite set at Costco, if you can believe it. It came with 2 sizes of luggage. I paid about $100 for both pieces.

3. Remember that the biggest suitcase (the largest is about 29-30 inches) can cause a weight problem - including the weight of the bag itself. I know we're only talking about 3 inches, but that makes all the difference! First of all, we (me included) tend to fill our suitcases...if you fill up a 29" suitcase, you WILL have over 50 lbs. Trust me. Go with a smaller suitcase which is about 25". I travel a week at a time and I can pack a week worth of business suits, travel outfits, workout clothes, toiletries, and incidentals in a 26" case. My 29" case was ALWAYS close or over 50 lbs. Add to that the fact that a smaller case is much easier to schlepp around. I travel with a 26" bag...unless I'm on a longer vacation. Then it's a 26" bag and my 19" bag. As long as you don't toss everything in the bag willynilly, you will be just fine.

4. Just accept the fact that airline baggage people will NOT treat your bags kindly. It's not out of meanness or ill temper. They move thousands of bags every day...be prepared for scuffs, dings, nicks and the like. I've watched people flip out because their expensive designer bags had a scuff mark on it.

5. Have a TSA approved lock attached to ALL your bags, carry ons included. You can get these locks cheaply anywhere, including Amazon and Walmart. Decorate your bag with ribbons, baggage strap(s), etc., to differentiate yours from the masses. I mean, most of us have black luggage - including me. Decorations make it easier to identify your items on the baggage carousel, it deters thieves, and if a bad guy does decide to grab your bag, it's easier for you to catch them BEFORE they make off with your stuff.

Hope that helps!

I second looking at TJMaxx/Marshalls. DH flies every week for work and found a great Travel Pro carry-on size cheap.

Personally, I use LL Bean rolling duffels. Just an FYI... they don't stand upright which is annoying to some, but I am fine with that. I love that they only weigh about 9 pounds so I can pack them to the gills! :woohoo:

Here is the large, the extra large can exceed airline dimensions if completely packed.
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63916?parentCategory=4522&feat=4522-tn&cat4=2915

I love Briggs & Riley luggage. Their luggage is very durable and high quality. Weight is sometimes an issue with their bags, but their new BRX collection is extremely lightweight. Even the largest bag in this line weighs less than 10 lbs.

The 360degree wheels may or may not be worth the money--really depends how much you travel to justify the expense, IMO. Nice, yes, necessary, no. (we travel 4-8 times/yr)

I prefer a 30" suitcase for cruises. I avoid shoes/toiletries in in, as those are the heavy items. But we can usually get all our clothing in it, and never go over 50lbs.

I never use locks. But I never have anything of value in a suitcase.

Don't be afraid to shop scratch and dent sales for your luggage. I was able to get a really nice set of luggage at Bed, Bath and Beyond a few years back. A 20% off coupon plus the clearance price brought the cost way down. It had a small black mark on it. So what? The first time you fly any luggage is going to come back dirty and scratched up a bit.

Gang, I was a District Business Manager for Samsonite from 1999-mid 2007 and can tell you the mid to high end Sam is good stuff the low end Samsonite and American Tourister well its low end. Someone mentioned Briggs... GREAT bag!! A little pricey and a bit heavy but one of the toughest bags on the market. I tend to travel with a 28" or smaller to save on weight and over all size restrictions and truth be told I have no issues with a good quality wheeled duffle either. just dont pack your breakables!! Not sure if Samsonite still makes it but the Sahora line is wonderful but not the most appealing bag to look at . Made of a poly shell covered with nylon and 4 spinner wheels, super durable and VERY light weight!

Best

Brent

We bought our Samsonites before leaving Germany almost 7 years ago. We got them from a website online which now is having a sale of 67% off all Samsonites. We love ours, they don't weigh that much and have wheels as well as loops so we can join 2 bags together for easier handeling. (That last part was a bonus during our July trip to WDW as I was traveling alone with 3 children.)

The 360degree wheels may or may not be worth the money--really depends how much you travel to justify the expense, IMO. Nice, yes, necessary, no. (we travel 4-8 times/yr)

I prefer a 30" suitcase for cruises. I avoid shoes/toiletries in in, as those are the heavy items. But we can usually get all our clothing in it, and never go over 50lbs.

I never use locks. But I never have anything of value in a suitcase.

Much love, Kris - more opinions means the OP will have more ideas to choose from! :lovestruc It's always good to hear someone else's point of view!

Of course I should have mentioned that one of the most important things to remember is to choose a set of luggage that suits YOUR needs, not anyone elses! If you're using baggage only a few times a year, perhaps spinners aren't as important...and that is totally cool. However, having priced luggage lately, the difference in price between the two is quickly shrinking!

I still respectfully disagree about the necessity...I consider it a personal necessity due to the ergonomics of spinners vs inline wheels, but I think that's a decision that everyone needs to make for themselves.

I've never been on a cruise, Kris - do your suitcases have a weight limit as they do in an airplane? Unfortunately, I tend to be a dense packer and I can hit that 50lb mark and say, "OMG but I still have so much I wanna bring!". I admire that you can pack a 30" case under 50 lbs - you'll have to share your secrets with me! Furthermore, you're right - shoes are one of the biggest weight offenders. And chocolate. But don't ask me to leave either at home. LOL

The importance of locks for me is that my bags go all over the country. If they get nabbed by some businessperson who accidentally picks up my bag instead of theirs, or my bags accidentally get delivered to an orphanage in Timbuktu, or a bad guy decides to make off with my stuff, I don't want to give them easy access to my industrial underwire bras! :lmao: I get the TSA approved ones so that if TSA needs to rifle through my undies, they can...but some random nutburger will have a harder time of it.

Heh...hope you are all having a good day.

A friend gave me her almost newish Samsonite with the spinner wheels and it is amazing. I can't imagine traveling with out it. She found it too big to use on the subways - but it is perfect for the traveling I do. We bought a cheaper end set that only lasted a couple of trips. My goal is to chuck the old set and just get one good piece of luggage.

Gang, I was a District Business Manager for Samsonite from 1999-mid 2007 and can tell you the mid to high end Sam is good stuff the low end Samsonite and American Tourister well its low end. Not sure if Samsonite still makes it but the Sahora line is wonderful but not the most appealing bag to look at . Made of a poly shell covered with nylon and 4 spinner wheels, super durable and VERY light weight!

Best

Brent

Thanks for the tips, Brent. I'll look into the *higher* end Samsonite...but how do you KNOW it's higher end and not lower end :confused3??

I travel at least 10,000 miles a month for work and it seems I'm always dragging around luggage - from the house to the airport, to the hotel, and back again. My guest room is a veritable graveyard for failed luggage.

I currently use Samsonite exclusively and they hold up beautifully.
1. It is absolutely worth the extra few bucks to get the 360 degree caster wheels (
2. I bought my recent Samsonite set at Costco, if you can believe it. It came with 2 sizes of luggage. I paid about $100 for both pieces.

3. Remember that the biggest suitcase (the largest is about 29-30 inches) can cause a weight problem

4. Just accept the fact that airline baggage people will NOT treat your bags kindly. I
5. Have a TSA approved lock attached to ALL your bags, carry ons included.

Hope that helps!

That's a LOT of milage to fly! I like the idea of the spinners. Being petite I hate hauling and fighting luggage. I LOVE the Costco tip; we're very rural, but there is a Costco about 30 minutes away, so that's doable (no TJMaxx here, that suggestion is out, and Kohl's is about 45 minutes away).

Anyway, I also like the idea of buying the smaller bag and just plain packing less and having it weigh less.

I just had to say my image of your guestroom being a "veritable luggage graveyard" gave me quite the giggle; I can picture it, all that sad, lonely luggage that will never be used again.

Thanks for the tips. It's great to hear from people who actually travel (vs. our 3-4 trips a year) and know the industry :thumbsup2.

So here's the scoop: Our luggage is old and HEAVY. It's the heavy part that's getting me since airlines have gone to charging for bags, plus hauling around a heavy suitcase isn't much fun. SO, has anyone found a good brand of luggage that is lightweight, durable, and most importantly budget friendly? I've been looking online and the choices are, well, overwhelming!

BTW, I have a really cute set with MM on it, and I'll probably still use the smaller bag, but need at least one large bag to check.

Thanks!

did you try Walmart or Target..they carry EMbark and AMerican Tourister.....they really hold up for years....unless looking to really "invest" like 1k for a full set, i'd go with sale stuff............

This is the world's lightest luggage, giving you more room to pack while keeping your luggage manageable and baggage fees low.

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx...-_-Landor Hawa Sub 0 G Upright Luggage Black
(not sure if the link will work but you can google it)

I saw this luggage in a VERY high end travel store and fell in LOVE with it.

Both husband and I travel alot--- both were in the travel industry and we have seen and had it all. I have a beautiful Briggs and Riley but it is HEAVY and I always just barely squeeze by with 50#.

I purchased 3 pieces from JCPenney's and got a terriffic deal. Free shipping too!

We bought 2 -- 25" and 1 -- 21" --- They have NO arm mechanism inside the bag it is in the frame so you basically have a huge BOX for your stuff.

It is truely the lightest bag I have ever seen! --- My purse weighs more!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter