Luggage & Magical Express

When we arrive we are taking DME from airport to hotel.

But when we leave we are taking a taxi from hotel to airport.

On departure day can I check our bags in at the hotel between 5am-1pm even though we are not taking DME back to airport or is bag check-in only for those using DME?

you can check your bags with bell services WHENEVER you want.....the 5am-1pm thing is for the CHECKING IN of bags to send directly to the airport....now I am uncertain if you can use that service if you are not taking DME though.....

you can check your bags with bell services WHENEVER you want.....the 5am-1pm thing is for the CHECKING IN of bags to send directly to the airport....now I am uncertain if you can use that service if you are not taking DME though.....

No worries. I'll just ask at WL during our stay.

When we arrive we are taking DME from airport to hotel.

But when we leave we are taking a taxi from hotel to airport.

On departure day can I check our bags in at the hotel between 5am-1pm even though we are not taking DME back to airport or is bag check-in only for those using DME?

You can check your bags at the hotel. That service, Resort Airline Check in is a different service from Magical Express. RAC is the same as checking your bags at the airport. You check your bags and you won't see them again, or be able to access them again, until you pull them at your home airport.

You can check your bags at the hotel. That service, Resort Airline Check in is a different service from Magical Express. RAC is the same as checking your bags at the airport. You check your bags and you won't see them again, or be able to access them again, until you pull them at your home airport.

Thank you for the information Maxiesmom!

You don't have to use DME to use RAC (resort airline check-in). Like I said before, it's just like curbside check-in, except the curb is at the hotel instead of the airport, meaning that it doesn't matter how you get to the airport. It's a totally separate service from DME.

ETA: OK, that's weird. I swear maxiemom's post wasn't there when I typed up mine.

Slowing down a bit .... the biggest problem with Bags is, in our opinion, the AIRLINES.

The Airline Monkeys will do their best to rip off or mutilate anything attached to a bag HANDLE. They are in a hurry, and that's where the bag gets grabbed. More connections? More grabbing.

Ergo - often, those bag check tags and (sadly) ME Yellow tags just vanish in transit, ripped to pieces.

What can you do?
Well, we do THIS....

1) We have a little RIVETED 1/2" leather strip on our bag front. We attach ME tags to THIS, not a bag handle.
2) We re-enforce the tags with clear packing tape at the fold - they must be CUT off.
3) RIGHT ON TOP of our clothing, each bag gets a printed notice: Name, address, Cell Phone, schedule (with airline & flights). Second copy goes in a Velcro closed pouch, outside of bag (bags came with this feature). So, if bag ends up in Italy, it CAN be traced by the Airline.
4) TAKE A PICTURE of each bag. If (when) a bag gets lost in the DME process? The Bell Captain will sing your praises if you can give him/her a PHOTO of the bag.
5) (Optional) - take advantage of that Travelex Trip Insurance that Disney promotes. You get PAID (well) for delayed, or lost, bags - and Travelex is a primary payer (translation: no 12 month delay trying to get the Airline to cough up first). We get this every year through DVC.

We've had ONE bag delayed (not lost) in 10 years, two trips per year. Bag Photo with the Bell Captain got that bag to us FAST (overlooked in the MCO DME warehouse).
Oh come on now...airport monkeys?? Seriously? I've said this before, and I'll say it again.....it's really hard to get those tags off. They are exactly the same as the tags the airlines put on!!! I always put a card with my cell phone number and email address on it inside each bag.

DME works very well. I've used it more times than I can remember since it first started. I can't tell you how many times I've stood in line, waiting for the bus to come, and watched guests taking out their yellow tags and putting them on their bags and strollers!!! I have actually tried to tell them that there is no need, the tags are only if you check the bags and don't want to go to baggage claim for them. I've had such nasty replies that I no longer say anything!!!
Yes, it can take up to 4 hrs for bags to get to the resort. So, pack anything you might need for that first day, or night, in a carry on bag. Usually, it's the airline that misdirects luggage, not DME.
For your return to the airport, it's wonderful to be able to check the bags right at the resort, leave your carry on bag with Bell Services and go off and enjoy what time you have left at WDW! Yes, I've heard of a few people not getting their bags upon arrival at their home airport. But.....no one seems to know who was at fault. It happens, even when not flying home from WDW.

Oh come on now...airport monkeys?? Seriously? I've said this before, and I'll say it again.....it's really hard to get those tags off. They are exactly the same as the tags the airlines put on!!! I always put a card with my cell phone number and email address on it inside each bag.

DME works very well. I've used it more times than I can remember since it first started. I can't tell you how many times I've stood in line, waiting for the bus to come, and watched guests taking out their yellow tags and putting them on their bags and strollers!!! I have actually tried to tell them that there is no need, the tags are only if you check the bags and don't want to go to baggage claim for them. I've had such nasty replies that I no longer say anything!!!
Yes, it can take up to 4 hrs for bags to get to the resort. So, pack anything you might need for that first day, or night, in a carry on bag. Usually, it's the airline that misdirects luggage, not DME.
For your return to the airport, it's wonderful to be able to check the bags right at the resort, leave your carry on bag with Bell Services and go off and enjoy what time you have left at WDW! Yes, I've heard of a few people not getting their bags upon arrival at their home airport. But.....no one seems to know who was at fault. It happens, even when not flying home from WDW.

You are a moderator - not going to argue with you.

Best I can say? We've had at least one trip with yellow tags ripped off the handle. A couple of others to different locations than WDW with airline tags ripped off the handles. That is pure fact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter