• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Luggage in water in Miami on DCL cruise.

I was one of the poor unfortunates that had their luggage dumped in the harbor. I have filed a claim with Disney, according to the documentation I received their liability is limited to $300. They in turn will pass the claim to the stevedores. I have also filed a claim with my homeowners insurance. The travel and baggage insurance policy I purchased for the trip only covers any shortages after the filing with Disney and my homeowners insurance, I am now question whether buying baggage insurance makes any sense. Disney tried, washing wool slacks and a sports jacket didn't work to well, garment made out of synthetic fibers showed no ill affects, but my suitcase, leather items and electronics were ruined. I was given a $200 credit and lent a pair of waiters pants to wear for formal night, the pants were kind of neat looking with the stripe on the side. Now I am just waiting for my claims to be processed.

I'll add an update with any relevant info when this matter if finally resolved.

Thanks for the report! And I am very sorry that you have so much hassle! It is a bit crappy that Disney did not do more for you!

Reading the terms for travel insurance, I always had the impression that the baggage coverage does not tend to be very useful because restrictions like you are running into. I think the one way insurance can be helpful for baggage, if it covers emergency purchases to replace the lost items.

Hope that in the end you get everything replaced!!

heard somewhere before that there was 2 types of luggage
1 carry on
2 the luggage you will never see again.pack it that way.dont put anything in there you cant clean or easily replace.

This happened at Port Canaveral once as well many years ago. We were on that cruise but luckily had no issues with our luggage. The luggage is usually put in crates and then wheeled via fork lift onboard.

75946592rqjdbQ_fs.jpg

OMG, this post has caused me some anxiety. How crazy! As a mom with two little kids, I can't imagine losing items I had packed. If it were just my husband and I traveling, I can totally go with the flow. Heck, I'd rock clothes from the gift shops all week if I had to. Sounds like the guests that had this happen handled it so well. What a fluke thing. Glad the cruise was still fun. But yeah, don't your cruise documents even specify to carry essential medication with you?

Random PSA (although most on here probably know this) never have critical medication in checked luggage. You always want that in your control not some random person you never met. Especially because there may be a delay getting it back.

All I'd say is although most of my medication is in my hand luggage I always take the spacer for my inhaler in my suitcase. Now rethinking this!

Scarey but unlikely situation I guess. Thanks for sharing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter