Luau Vs. Ohana's

KandyM

DIS Veteran
Hi,
We are looking for a meal with an "experience" to it for one night of our trip. We are not going to be on the dining plan and most of the rest of the time we will be eating counter service or offsite. We are trying to decide between the luau and ohana's. I get that the Luau has a show and that there is more of a fun and games atmosphere at ohanas. My kids are 16, 13, 9 and I think they would like the ohana food WAY more, but they would enjoy the luau show as that is something entirely new for us all.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done both what they think of the experiences.
:goodvibes

Ohanas....the food is so much better and there are still fun activities. It's kind of the best of both worlds!

I have not done the luau in years. I don't recall liking it, especially for the price, which I'm sure was much less back then than it is now. DH and I do WDW every fall and we eat at Ohana every trip. The food is good and I find it relaxing. There are activities your 9 year old might enjoy. (A singer sings and plays the ukulele and there are races using a broom to push a coconut around.)

Definitely Ohana.
The food is MUCH better. There are some cool aspects to the show at the Luau, but overall it's not very good and very overpriced, IMO.

Hi,
We are looking for a meal with an "experience" to it for one night of our trip. We are not going to be on the dining plan and most of the rest of the time we will be eating counter service or offsite. We are trying to decide between the luau and ohana's. I get that the Luau has a show and that there is more of a fun and games atmosphere at ohanas. My kids are 16, 13, 9 and I think they would like the ohana food WAY more, but they would enjoy the luau show as that is something entirely new for us all.

I would love to hear from anyone who has done both what they think of the experiences.

I would go for Ohana and maybe plan to watch wishes on the Poly beach afterward for more "experience"? (FWIW, I have not been to the Luau but have enjoyed Ohana twice)

We actually did both last September b/c we were with family who wanted to do the luau and DD5&DD7 loved Ohana. I had read similar posts before our trip where almost everyone would prefer Ohana and knowing we did love our prior dinners there, I was nervous about being completely disappointed with the luau. Not the case. All 4 kids enjoyed their food and the show. The 4 of us adults did too. We did have a good dinner at Ohana too but on that trip I found the meat overcooked and the service a little lower than prior trips. I would go back to either. You know what your family enjoys to eat. I also think only the 9yo would like Ohana's activities where all 3 ages (depending on personality) would probably enjoy the luau show.

Thanks for all the info. This will be a hard decision for us. I guess it might come down to what ADR's I can get. I also checked out review on Tripadvisor for the Luau and wow, people either love or hate it.

Hi,

Have eaten at both once, and that was enough. There's no doubt that you're paying for the entertainment at the luau.

I would go with the luau. We enjoyed it when we did it and we thought the food was fine. It's much more of an "event" than 'Ohana. We have not been impressed with 'Ohaha. We thought the food was very average for the price. The singer (at least the night we were there) was exceptionally bad, and I'm not crazy about things like coconut races.

The luau is exotic and something different.

You might also want to consider Hoop De Doo Revue for an "event" evening if you haven't done it. The food is only fair, but the show is great fun. Our boys enjoyed the luau but loved HDDR.

Ohana is a tradition for us. Love it ! never had a bad experience. We decided in addition to Ohana to try the Lua last year. My DD9 was bored to tears and could not wait to leave. Service was just awful, never refilled our drinks and when we asked it would take at least 15 minutes. Food was bland and we didnt care for it. So for us it was a big disappointment and we likely wont ever go again. I guess the experience is different for different families. Good luck with whatever you choose and have a great vacation.

I would also factor in the time of year you are going as well. Like for us we go in August, so dinners are our safe haven from the heat and the a/c inside is a perfect break. For my family, Ohana would make more sense because I just could not see them eating outside in the August heat at the luau.

I am considering doing both SOA and 'Ohanas this upcoming trip. We did SOA years ago the show was far better than the food. Never been to 'Ohanas but if the menu there appeals more to you and you can only do one I think I would pick 'Ohanas

We have done both, and IMO the luau is not that good and definitely not worth the $$$'s charged. 'Ohanas is one of our favorites.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter