• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Luau or Hoop Dee Doo?

WoodysRoundup

DIS Veteran
Looking for some help.......I haven't been to the Luau or Hoop Dee Doo since I was a young kid (and that was quite a while ago LOL). Can anyone out there convince me my 4,6 and 7 yr. olds would truly enjoy either one? If so, which of the two wins out? TIA!

I vote for the HDDR, although we've never done the luau.
My boys and nephews who were 2,5, 6 & 7 when we went to the HDD absolutely LOVED it. They want to go back again this November, but, we are trying some new stuff.

I vote for HDDR even though I've never been. I've heard nothing but good things about it! :thumbsup2

I have been to the Luau (last November) and I wasn't impressed except for the last 10 minutes of the show.

HDDR... definitely! We went there in 2006 with DD3 and DS8. DD3 liked it, but only got the slapstick humor. DS8 loved every minute of it. We did the Luau in 2007, DD4 and DS9. They liked it, but did get bored as the show drags out until the end. The fire twirler was amazing, though. Food was better at the luau.

We were at the HDDR on May 4th with my daughters that are 4 & 5. They loved it! We thought the chicken & ribs were really good. The server brought out Mac & cheese just in case for the girls. The only things I would go different is 1. Bring a sweater
2. Ask for no strawberries on the dessert. Not a lover of strawberries. We ate around it and the cake and whipped cream were awesome!

I hope you choose the HDDR it was such a fun family night out!:lmao: :rotfl: :rotfl2:

Ask for no strawberries on the dessert.
Will they do that? That would be great for me and the boy. My wife will gladly take her strawberries though.
When researching, everything just pointed me towards the Hoop Dee Doo over the Luau (but then I lived on Oahu for 4 years).

Another for HDDR, did 2 there and 1 at Luau and we also have AR's for the HDDR this Sept.

When I make my ADR's for Dec. trip on the DDP, I plan on doing both as I have not been to either and it will be just my husband and I.

Never been to HDDR but did the luau for the first time in September and had a great time. The food and show were both great :goodvibes.

HDDR is a must do - according to my kids - every trip. We have it booked already for our August trip. I remember the luau years ago and hated it. Might have been my age, It was about 15 years ago. Maybe it's changed since then. HDDR is the same as it was 15-20 years ago and we still love it.

We did both on our trip in April and loved HDDR but didn't much care for the Luau. For starters the food at the Luau is not that good. Secondly it is mostly outdoors meaning if it is hot, you will be hot, and if it rains they will cancel and you will have to find another place to eat.

-Becca-

DEFINITELY HDDR!!

We did Hoop Dee Doo our first year, and loooved it. Immediately thought "we must do this every year!"

The second time we thought, "Well, we really should try something new," and booked the Luau. MISTAKE. I had read many warning reviews, and ignored them figuring it couldn't be that bad, could it? It was. Food was not good at all, service was the worst we have ever had on Disney property, the show was dull and mechanical (the skit stuff really was cheesy, and not in the "Disney is a little cheesy and it's still good" kind of way).

By contrast, Hoop Dee Doo has great food, the service was quick and good, bottomless drinks were brought promptly (at Luau, I got one, and never got them to return to give me another), the show was cheesy in the BEST way--we were singing along and the tune was happily in our heads for a long time after. And on this trip we are treating friends to the experience so they can enjoy the memory, too!

I agree with the masses! my family (including 3 kids) enjoys both very much...but HDDR is the one they keep talking about! My youngest DD laughed so hard she made one of the performers crack up on stage!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter